Marketing Shenmue III

Would you mind translating some scripts from English to German for subtitles for a few videos we’re hoping to put together to promote S3 to new fans? Would really appreciate your help.

sure i can do that. but keep in mind that my english is not super perfect, a lot of times i'm just translating
the meaning the best i can and not 1:1 the words. and i never used the "add subtitles" function on Youtube before.

How are we structuring this? Should everyone offer say a 100-200 word paragraph? I know we could probably all write volumes, but I think if we're making a video that combines multiple users, short, concise paragraphs from each member might be more ideal?

Also, it might be a good idea if each member talks about a separate aspect so we're not repeating ourselves. So one person can talk about FREE, one person can talk about the presentation of Martial Arts, etc.

I also think it would be neat to have everyone start with the same line, something like "What I love about Shenmue is..."

I've looking to get back into editing and would happily oversee this project if people are happy for me too, I's have to look into getting some good Fullscreen HD footage of Shenmue but I have the Editing software and basic know-how to do so :)

Last edited:
How are we structuring this? Should everyone offer say a 100-150 word paragraph? I know we could probably all write volumes, but I think if we're making a video that combines multiple users, short, concise paragraphs from each member might be more ideal?

i also think it would be neat to have everyone start with the same line, something like "What I love about Shenmue is..."
I’d really just envisaged each person giving one sentence to keep things short and snappy.

Something along the lines of...
[A]The the thing I love most about Shenmue is (the combat).
[B)(The fighting in Shenmue rewards skill and so it’s really satisfying when you pull off a difficult move or combo.)
[C](You can really tell that they put a lot of time into balancing it to make it feel as realistic as possible).
[A](It was better than a lot of the fighting games released at the time which is even more impressive considering it was only one small part of the game).
[D] My favorite thing about Shenmue is the (music).
[E] (The music really helped to give each area of the game a unique feeling).
Etc.

So effectively what we get is a range of views on each topic without going into too much detail and taking up too much time.

In an ideal world we would agree on 5-7 topics and then we would have twenty or so people recording a line saying ‘my favorite thing is...’ and then also giving a sentence on why they liked each of the topics we’ve agreed on. This will allow us to show the scale of the fandom by including a lot of opinions while also keeping a nice flow to the video both in terms of audio and video. We have to remember that the target audience for these videos are people who are not fans of the series and so are not going to want to sit down and watch a fifteen minute video with repeating or dull footage. For the most part I see it being a lot of quick cuts although would like to do something a little bit more cinematic for the section about the environments.

Yeah, I like the idea of having it cut from each person to each line delivery to make it more snappy, but I'm not so sure on intersecting topics though - Starting with combat, then coming back to it after 2 other people mention a separate topic, sounds a little jarring.

I also think it would be nice to end it on a Compilation of us saying 'Thanks to YsNet & Thank Yu!' or something to that effect - Just an idea :)

Yeah, I like the idea of having it cut from each person to each line delivery to make it more snappy, but I'm not so sure on intersecting topics though - Starting with combat, then coming back to it after 2 other people mention a separate topic, sounds a little jarring.

I also think it would be nice to end it on a Compilation of us saying 'Thanks to YsNet & Thank Yu!' or something to that effect - Just an idea :)
The topic wouldn’t change, but the person discussing it would, if that makes sense. We would effectively get a few different voices for each topic before switching to the next.

I’m not sure I’d be too keen on including a thank you message to YS. Whilst I’m of course grateful, it doesn’t serve much purpose when it comes to selling the game to new fans, which I think should be our primary (and probably only) goal. If a lot of people want to include something like this, I’d be happy with to do it but would rather have a single target in mind and put all of our efforts towards achieving it.

The topic wouldn’t change, but the person discussing it would, if that makes sense. We would effectively get a few different voices for each topic before switching to the next.

I’m not sure I’d be too keen on including a thank you message to YS. Whilst I’m of course grateful, it doesn’t serve much purpose when it comes to selling the game to new fans, which I think should be our primary (and probably only) goal. If a lot of people want to include something like this, I’d be happy with to do it but would rather have a single target in mind and put all of our efforts towards achieving it.
Liking the ideas.

Maybe just a little message at the end in text would suffice as it won't take away from the target audience of the video?

All sounds good so far.

Yeah a short message at the end to show support for ys and the team would be nice, maybe a 3 second clip from each of us? It's marketing but it's after all the fan support that really sets this video apart from the others.

Just need to keep in mind that there's still Adam's documentary to come, don't want to steal his thunder :)

Liking the ideas.

Maybe just a little message at the end in text would suffice as it won't take away from the target audience of the video?
Yeah, I think that could work. As I say, I see this as a community project and if the community want to include something, then we should put it in.

A for Adam’s documentary, I’m not worried about stealing his thunder. From what I’ve read, it will go into considerably more depth than anything we would be able to knock together in less than three months. Besides, the more positive Shenmue related content floating around, the better.

We’re starting to get some nice answers being posted from you guys, but please keep them coming. As I said earlier, there’s no such thing as too many.

On a side note, somebody on these forums had knocked together a Shenmue 3 start menu and I was wondering if anybody knows who made it and where I could find it. I’m thinking that something similar at the beginning of each video might help to tie them all together. Edit Found the video here - Would be interested to know if the person that made it posts on these forums and whether they’d be able/willing to create something similar.

Also, I occasionally watch a YouTube series called low poly by a Youtuber called A+start. In it, he showcases character models from different games looking at the textured models on a white background as well as the wireframe. I think visually, it might be nice to put in some out of the box visuals and think this could work nicely, especially for the character profile section. How would people feel about this and do we have anybody on these forums with the expertise to do something similar. Afaiaw, we have the models from the passport models ripped and so in theory, something similar could be achieved. -https://youtu.be/jF5a6ltOsK0

Last edited:
I think split the video into sections such as scope, story, culture, gameplay, graphics, music etc. would make it more structured.

Would it be better to use this thread as a place to gather people, and use a pm or separate thread for the content collation? I'm worried that we'll lose track of stuff if everything is in this thread.

Last edited:
I'd suggest a separate thread. I'll create one and @ everyone who wants to take part so far.

EDIT: thread set-up Here

Last edited:
Thought I'd post this guys video, he's jsut talking about the features he is looking forward to in Shenmue III :) He doesn't mention story theories, but it's more of an oversight to the footage we've seen so far:

Is there anyone that works for a major gaming media outlet or a content creator with a huge subscriber base that likes Shenmue (IGN, Gamespot, Markiplier, etc)?

Back