Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Today was the day I decided to listen to the Shenmue OST with FLAC audio for the first time. Today was also the day my ears had an orgasm and my mind achieved a state of nirvana.

I’ve been going through my entire CD collection and re doing everything to FLAC...the days of the need for audio compression are over when we have 10TB HDD’s. Can never go back to compression now.

I should really buy that CD at some point...Last I checked it was like 140$ AUD on Ebay....bit pricey for me to justify...even though it is the best soundtrack varient of the bunch.

Last edited:
I also think that these negative people are worth to notify at all. I am really confused though.I though most of the Shenmue Fans are people that are in there "advanced" adult years. But why there are so many Shenmue fans that acted like 10 year olds.

They seem to have no idea how economy works. ToS sell a product you need to make the project appear special. So it is not surprising. Each retailer has their own special stuff to sell the game. Of course this stuff has to be different than the KS bonus. The KS bonus again is different from the retailer stuff. This just the way things are .

I do not think why some Kickstarter people think they have to right to get everything..

Only small kids think like that. It is somehow sad.

I also think that these negative people are worth to notify at all. I am really confused though.I though most of the Shenmue Fans are people that are in there "advanced" adult years. But why there are so many Shenmue fans that acted like 10 year olds.

Only small kids think like that. It is somehow sad.

Internet anonymity+Social media brought out the worst of entitlement culture in people. Now it's just spilling into other mediums.

When I was 18 years old I was passionate about the games and things I liked on the internet and would happily engage in flame wars and other stupid shit. The reason being, I was 18 and immature. I'm 34 now I have no time for this nonsense, in fact I look at some of my old posts on the internet and cringe hard. Was that really me?

Some people mature quicker than other. Some people never do. You can't change these people, no more than you should expect them to change you. And that's alright. It is a part of life. It's so much easier to be negative than positive. A person will go to 10 restaurants and only one of them will be bad, but you can bet they will only write one negative review instead of the nine positive ones.

When I was 18 years old I was passionate about the games and things I liked on the internet and would happily engage in flame wars and other stupid shit. The reason being, I was 18 and immature. I'm 34 now I have no time for this nonsense, in fact I look at some of my old posts on the internet and cringe hard. Was that really me?
Haha I think we all do. Or the use of short hand text speak that I used to use.... oh what was I thinking?!?!

Some people mature quicker than other. Some people never do. You can't change these people, no more than you should expect them to change you. And that's alright. It is a part of life. It's so much easier to be negative than positive. A person will go to 10 restaurants and only one of them will be bad, but you can bet they will only write one negative review instead of the nine positive ones.

That's a good point.

Yeah I see what your saying. I too was like that as well...the type that was all "fuck the mainstream normies. They like garbage while I'm the superior one because I like stuff that is outside the norm." Then I entered my mid 20's and started thinking how fucking stupid I sounded and realized "who am I to judge what people enjoy in life?" and mellowed a bit.

You're right...it easier to be negative than positive and I do think we all go through that period where we like to think of ourselves as rebels who are bucking the system and want to pick every fight we see because it makes us feel righteous...then we grow up and realize not every battle is worth picking. We mellow out and look back on our former young angry rebellious self with a mixture of embarrassment or self mockery.

I know I did as well.

That's a good point.

Yeah I see what your saying. I too was like that as well...the type that was all "fuck the mainstream normies. They like garbage while I'm the superior one because I like stuff that is outside the norm." Then I entered my mid 20's and started thinking how fucking stupid I sounded and realized "who am I to judge what people enjoy in life?" and mellowed a bit.

You're right...it easier to be negative than positive and I do think we all go through that period where we like to think of ourselves as rebels who are bucking the system and want to pick every fight we see because it makes us feel righteous...then we grow up and realize not every battle is worth picking. We mellow out and look back on our former young angry rebellious self with a mixture of embarrassment or self mockery.

I know I did as well.

I think that has to do with solidifying your own personal identity than looking down on people. Once you understand who you are and become secure in who you are then you tend to mellow out. Like you, I’ve come to accept that they’re are things that are simply beyond my control.

I’ve been going through my entire CD collection and re doing everything to FLAC...the days of the need for audio compression are over when we have 10TB HDD’s. Can never go back to compression now.

I should really buy that CD at some point...Last I checked it was like 140$ AUD on Ebay....bit pricey for me to justify...even though it is the best soundtrack varient of the bunch.

What’s ironic is that FLAC is a lossless compressed audio codec which in this day and age makes the .mp3 format obsolete with terabyte HDD and/or SSD’s becoming the norm.

Last edited:
What’s ironic is that FLAC is lossless compressed audio codec which in this day and age makes the .mp3 format obsolete with terabyte HDD and/or SSD’s becoming the norm.

I think it's just an awareness issue, or a lack of general awareness to be specific. The .mp3 format became famous from the Napster controversy decades ago, but FLAC hasn't really had any good press or bad press, it's just kind of been down to word of mouth among audio/computer enthusiasts.

I was just wondering something @Spaghetti about the development budget. If Deep Silver was divorced from the Kickstarter then who paid for the Backer Rewards and Kickstarter fees? Assuming those came out of the development budget (which would leave Y’s Net with 4.6-5.1 million) then wouldn’t that mean that Deep Silver gave Y’s Net anywhere from 5.4 to 5.9 million dollars? Of course I am operating from that Kickstarter pie chart so if that information is outdated then let me know.

I was just wondering something @Spaghetti about the development budget. If Deep Silver was divorced from the Kickstarter then who paid for the Backer Rewards and Kickstarter fees? Assuming those came out of the development budget (which would leave Y’s Net with 4.6-5.1 million) then wouldn’t that mean that Deep Silver gave Y’s Net anywhere from 5.4 to 5.9 million dollars? Of course I am operating from that Kickstarter pie chart so if that information is outdated then let me know.
You're spot on as far as I can tell: YS Net probably had much closer to $5 million from crowd-funding for development. However, they also had investment from Shibuya Prod. We don't know the exact number, but in the low millions would be my guess, which could mean they got back up to that $7 million mark, potentially.

They used that money for ~2 years then Deep Silver came on board, and it's been another 2+ years of development with DS as publisher. Who knows how much of that initial capital was left, but I think it's fair to assume DS have invested north of $4-5 million over the past 2+ years, not to mention marketing spend etc.

The Epic deal probably allowed Deep Silver to invest a bit more money into the project while pocketing the majority of it.

@orient pretty much covered it. The rewards and fees were built into the amount Ys Net were asking for on the stretch goals.

We know since Deep Silver got involved, the additional stretch goals covered would have been roughly the equivalent of getting around an additional $3 million+ during the crowdfunding period. In reality Deep Silver may have paid less because fees and rewards wouldn't have to be factored in on this capital, but Deep Silver gave Warhorse $3 million towards Kingdom Come's development, and there may be additional things paid for that weren't detailed in Update #104.

I've been saying recently that Deep Silver provided $3 million+ in development funds because it seems about as accurate we can get based on available evidence, but ultimately we'll probably not know the amount unless it shows up in a slide during a financial presentation - like it did with Kingdom Come.

This interview with Brianna Knickerbocker has her speak a little about Yu Suzuki's direction with her voice acting performance!

That's not a random thought, that's news. People who don't bother wading into this thread will still want to hear about it, so if we don't have a general voice acting thread why not start one? ?

That's what is so appealing about picking up crowd-funded games, after all: publishers save themselves millions in dev costs, lowering their investment and risk. The fact the release date was announced a year out and only slipped by 13 weeks (or whatever it is)...plus the cash injection from the Epic deal...I've got to imagine DS are pretty happy with where things are pre-release. I'm not even sure they care that much about the Epic "controversy", considering they seem happy with how Metro turned out.

As fans, we may not be thrilled with their marketing efforts, and some of the complaints are legitimate -- average box art design, providing outdated models to the media, rushing press through a 15 minute demo etc. -- but I think the lack of a marketing "blowout" is just their way of doing things. They'll hit hardest just before release to maximise their marketing spend, and they're probably resting on the established "brand story" as well, knowing that press and core players alike are curious about how Shenmue III turns out. Say what you will about preorder bonuses but it shows they're putting effort into retail. Things are heating up, finally.

Back