Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I'm sorry if this goes off-topic from the thread, but from posters more "in the know" than I, what is the general feeling about the chances of a Shenmue IV?

If we do not have memembers of the industry involved in Shenmue 3 you won't get a answer for your question.

We only know so far that Yu San would be interested in moving on and Cedric stated the chance of Shenmue 4 is 50:50 I believe even when 3 fails. But nothing is set in stone yet. At least as far as I know. I wish there is a way to learn what is going on behind closed doors.

You have heard from the term pc master race ghost trick? You watch tech related channels on YouTube like digtal Foundry and other stuff? No? You should. you will read many comments were talk About These Things. Even under console related Topics they bash consoles and tell how weak they are compared to PCs.

And you are really going to tell me that PC gaming is now for consual Gamers that just want to have fun, with Little to no technical know how?

Are you really telling me that casual gaming is on the rise, and the whole pc fanatics in the Internet are just a vocal mintory and casual gaming gets more important on the PC from day to day?

Fine, the more Money Shenmue gets the better. As Long as PC gaming is not the only way to Play games I am fine with it. Would be Nightmare if I would have to Play on a pc. Way too uncomfortable and expensive for me.

Yeah, I did. And the thing is, actual data, concrete facts destroy your arguments. How can you argue that "PC users only care about graphics" when it's the platform of indies ? When games like Stardew Valley sold over 4 million copies ?

The same platform where Eurojank games are fairly popular ?
Y'know, games like Gothic, Risen ? RPG with subpar visuals, broken animations yet lot of sales ?

And yes, I actually watch a lot of DF videos. I also actually play on PC, on a fairly beefy rig with a 1080ti. It doesn't mean I'm not playing smaller titles. And numbers, sales data prove it's the same for a lot of PC users.

Now, yes, there's platform warring. How is it relevant to the facts ? You're claiming Shenmue cant sell on PC because of the visuals. When actual, concrete data, shows that a lot of games with visuals magnitudes worse than Shenmue sold millions of units.

Yeah, PC was my primary gaming platform from around 2007 - 2012 (when I finally picked up a PS3) (Edit: Not to mention, PC was also my primary gaming platform in the 90s too) . But the idea that the market is anywhere near comparable with the console market is nonsensical.

The stupid thing here is to put the console market as a whole. The PC market is one and only. It's ONE platform. PC is a platform. When you release a game on PC, you don't need to make multiple version.

The console market doesn't exist. There isn't a "console platform". You have 3 different platforms. If you want to sell on all 3, you need to developp 3 different version. A sale on PS4 is irrelevant to Xbox One because they're two different consoles. Two different markets. Two differents SKUs.

Also for the record, last quarter PC was the biggest platform for Ubisoft. Monster Hunter World on PC has been a huge success for Capcom. I feel like a lot of people here needs to check their facts

Ghost Trick I just judge how PC gamers present them self online and how they are presented in the media. They are are never presented as indy loving people . They are presented as tech freaks. And no I not checking the Steam sales every time. I really open my steam. to be honest.

So instead of picking on me you should tell your fellow pc gamers that there pc master jokes are outdated. That caring about the Frame Rate is outdated. That resolution is not the most important thing.

And the online comments and the whole pc market does not destroy my arguments they back them.

If tech is not the driving factor for pc gamers, why there is a new graphics cards every year?

Tell your fellow pc gamers how to behave then we can talk about checking the facts.

It is not a plattform war just a discussion how different the perception of pc gaming can be from person to person. I am not saying that pc gaming sucks, and only console gaming is the real deal. I a the first person to admit that if enough money and the necessary tech know how is there that a gaming pc is the way more powerful platform just at the expensive of connivance.

But sorry jibby this discussion is still going to far in off topic territory . Sorry won't do it again.

January is a terrible time to release a large entertainment product.
Not really. Capcom do it all the time. Heck Monster Hunter World has ended up as their best selling game of all time and that launched in January. Likewise Resident Evil 7 and REmake 2 both had January release dates and have done well. Square did a similar thing with Kingdom Hearts 3 and that's the best selling game in the series now. January would actually be a good time for Shenmue 3 I think, at least it wouldn't be sandwiched in between Death Stranding, Doom Eternal and Pokemon then.

Though the fan side of me, really hopes for no further delays as I just want to play the game and see where the story goes. Either way, I just hope the game sells as well as it can so that a sequel can eventually happen.

I'm sorry if this goes off-topic from the thread, but from posters more "in the know" than I, what is the general feeling about the chances of a Shenmue IV?

I'd say pretty good. I'm feeling the game will get pretty good attention around release and it should make a good profit relative to what everyone on the production team invested, but that's only a feeling. In my bubble I feel like the game is a pretty hot topic in the gaming world(For the right & wrong reasons for better or worse).

They actually have a team in place, and a system. Should be easy to reuse assets and touch up and improve all the different physics, systems, etc here and there as needed for Shenmue 4.

Ghost Trick I just judge how PC gamers present them self online and how they are presented in the media. They are are never presented as indy loving people . They are presented as tech freaks. And no I not checking the Steam sales every time. I really open my steam. to be honest.

So instead of picking on me you should tell your fellow pc gamers that there pc master jokes are outdated. That caring about the Frame Rate is outdated. That resolution is not the most important thing.

And the online comments and the whole pc market does not destroy my arguments they back them.

If tech is not the driving factor for pc gamers, why there is a new graphics cards every year?

Tell your fellow pc gamers how to behave then we can talk about checking the facts.

I don't care about some people present themselves online. We're talking sale numbers and market here. A bunch of people on the internet isn't data. Sales are data.
Sales are showing that a lot of niche genre and games with subpar visuals are thriving on PC.

Also, tech is driving everything. If you want your console to get better, you need tech to evolve. Also, there's hardly a new graphic cards every year. Usually, new series of graphic cards happens every 2 years or a year and a half.

As for the "tell your fellow pc gamers". I'm not 10 years old. I don't have "fellow pc/console gamers". I don't think in a way of "pc/console community". I think in a way based on facts. And your analysis is plenty wrong.

(Also, funny to talk about convenience when you were the kind of person to brush away the epic launcher issues. Now convenience matters ?)

Not really. Capcom do it all the time. Heck Monster Hunter World has ended up as their best selling game of all time and that launched in January. Likewise Resident Evil 7 and REmake 2 both had January release dates and have done well. Square did a similar thing with Kingdom Hearts 3 and that's the best selling game in the series now. January would actually be a good time for Shenmue 3 I think, at least it wouldn't be sandwiched in between Death Stranding, Doom Eternal and Pokemon then.

Though the fan side of me, really hopes for no further delays as I just want to play the game and see where the story goes. Either way, I just hope the game sells as well as it can so that a sequel can eventually happen.
Well it's right after Christmas and most folks are empty after the holidays. I think if you release a heavy hitter any time of year it won't matter people will save for it, also Monster Hunter has likely been a sleeper hit. If it is released in January it'd have to be at the end.

They just emailed an update on the book Dreamcast: Collected Works that contains a link to an excerpt of their interview with Yu Suzuki, Keiji Okayasu, and Kenji Eno. In the introductory paragraph, the author refers to the fans demanding that Yu Suzuki finish the Shenmue "trilogy"... I emailed Darren Wall and politely explained that it's not a trilogy and will not be ending with Shenmue III.

This is a follow up from May and some 70 pages ago in this thread. I just received an email from Darren Wall who was happy to inform me that they were able to change the incorrect description of Shenmue as a "trilogy" in Dreamcast: Collected Works. The book is heading into production and should be arriving in November.

Indeed a few people mentioned this, and it's changed in the book now :)

Thanks for the heads up!

Darren Wall

Man, the hate for Ooblets got so bad that they started receiving thousands of death threats via their E-mail and Discord channel. People were literally fabricating screenshots of things the developers supposedly said to stoke the Internet into a frenzy. I think Ys Net avoiding the subject entirely was the right move. This is a literal TWO-PERSON team that's taking on this much abuse for making a deal that'd guarantee their project turns a profit and keeps their lights on.

The fact so many developers/publishers have done a deal with the devil should tell you the deal must be REALLY good. No one would willingly sign up for this kind of abuse.

Last edited:
I had never even heard of Ooblets and I keep an eye on games for the most part. Truly despicable stuff being coordinated by people I have no doubt never had any interest in the game.

Shows Yu Suzuki's experience & wisdom that he decided to not address this issue whatsoever. Fortunately, it looks like all of this stupidity is causing people to support these developers & even Epic now.

Well, the developers did start off by actively insulting people, so I'm not surprised.

Sending death threats is an awful and ridiculous response, though.

all this because of an indie videogame. i guess its for the best that Suzuki cant understand / read every english comment.

096c77de-2023-4338-b872-65fa3ab67d38.png

He's been through the original SYSTEM WARS. He's made of stronger stuff.

What's disturbing is a majority of the people sending threats were never going to buy or were interested in the game. They're on a crusade to attack anything related to EGS. That's what makes their lives matter. Anyway, it illuminates the situation with Shenmue 3 as well and should at least help the community understand a lot of the negativity towards Shenmue 3 and Epic was not coming from within this community.

Back