Guess how Shenmue 3 will review

Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting (and hopefully not too depressing) to guess what kind of scores Shenmue 3 will receive when it's released. I wonder how my guesses will compare to the actual scores after release.

I'm going to guess both the Metacritic score and various outlets, but you can do it however you want.

I'm a big believer that Shenmue 3 will review much better than many here think. Time will tell... Here's what I'm going with (whether all of these will review it, who knows):

Metacritic - 76

IGN - 7/10
Gamespot - 6/10
Eurogamer - Recommended
PC Gamer - 85%
Metro - 7/10
RPG Site - 8/10
Destructoid - 6.5/10
RPG Fan - 80%
CGmagazine - 8.5/10
Trusted Reviews - 3.5/5
PushSquare - 8/10
The Guardian - 4/5
GamesRadar+ - 3.5/5

I'm going with a 67 to 75 MC. Some reviewers just wont get it and emphasize on graphics and others will understand. I'll be happy if it's in the 70's and above. Keep in mind I already know this game will exceed my expectations and be amazing.

I’m going with 68 MC and that’s being optimistic. Some will praise the soundtrack, story, and the unique experience the game brings.

Other aspects (combat, character models) are gonna get lit up though. We all know there’s a budget limit, but this is still a $60 game, so it’s fair for this one to be judged like one. I expect most of us will love it though.

inb4 someone gets irrationally upset at the very prospect of a news outlet giving Shenmue III a poor review score.

That doesn't really sound like anyone here, to be fair.

Hell, the Shenmue I and II Collection was liked far more by most critics than it was by a lot of fans here. Who can forget all the complaints about 4:3 cutscenes and other issues that were largely ignored by most outlets that reviewed the games.

Edit: Not that I think fans here won't like Shenmue 3, but I think most of us understand it's a divisive series and the third entry is being built on a small budget.

Metacritic 59 to 65.
IGN 6/10
IGN Japan 9/10
Gamekult 4/10
Destructoid 6/10
Giantbomb 2/5
Gamespot 5/10
PCGamer 85%
Gameblog 9/10
Jeuxvideo.com 11/20

My personal review: 10/10 + Game of the Decade.

Edit: Only reason I wont award it a 11 is some animations and the battle system.

I feel like it'll score 6s and 7s across the board with a couple outlets going higher. I don't see many places scoring below that though.

That doesn't really sound like anyone here, to be fair.

Hell, the Shenmue I and II Collection was liked far more by most critics than it was by a lot of fans here. Who can forget all the complaints about 4:3 cutscenes and other issues that were largely ignored by most outlets that reviewed the games.

Edit: Not that I think fans here won't like Shenmue 3, but I think most of us understand it's a divisive series and the third entry is being built on a small budget.

I think the Shenmue I and II collection reviews needs to be adressed though: Those were never going to review badly unless broken and inferior. For the reason that a lot of reviewers wont backtrack on a legendary game and say "well it was bad in fact".
And with an average of 76, you can already see the port being punished for its shortcomings when Shenmue II was a 88 back then.

I think the Shenmue I and II collection reviews needs to be adressed though: Those were never going to review badly unless broken and inferior. For the reason that a lot of reviewers wont backtrack on a legendary game and say "well it was bad in fact".

But reviewers "backtrack" on legendary games that are re-released all the time. They often complain they have aged poorly or whatever. Just look at Sonic Adventure, a game that was universally praised at the time, getting 9 out of 10s almost across the board, which is mostly derided and mocked these days. It's even more prevalent with a lot of 16 bit titles that don't have Mario or Zelda in the title. The Shenmue re-release could have easily gotten 5s and 6s (some sites did, to be fair, but they were in the minority). Sure, there's some games that reviewers will never backtrack on, like Ocarina of Time or FF VII, but I don't think the Shenmue games are really comparable with those.

But reviewers "backtrack" on legendary games that are re-released all the time. They often complain they have aged poorly or whatever. Just look at Sonic Adventure, a game that was universally praised at the time, getting 9 out of 10s almost across the board, which is mostly derided and mocked these days. It's even more prevalent with a lot of 16 bit titles that don't have Mario or Zelda in the title. The Shenmue re-release could have easily gotten 5s and 6s (some sites did, to be fair, but they were in the minority). Sure, there's some games that reviewers will never backtrack on, like Ocarina of Time or FF VII, but I don't think the Shenmue games are really comparable with those.

I remember MGS 4 being a 10 out of 10 at launch...now the same people who praised that game at launch talk shit about it.

Critics backtrack all the time.

As for Shenmue III

I still think it will be somewhere around 70 on Metacritic. I think nostalgia will win it some good will and maybe let some critics overlook some of its (potential) flaws.

Last edited:
I remember MGS 4 being a 10 out of 10 at launch...now the same people who praised that game at launch talk shit about it.

Critics backtrack all the time.

Exactly. Resident Evil 5 got glowing reviews when it was released too.

I've seen many critics openly re-address and re-asses old reviews. Back in the day, the UK's official Dreamcast Magazine (actually, now I think about it, I think it was the unofficial Dreamcast magazine) even had a whole section each month dedicated to re-scoring and re-evaluating reviews of games.

I predict the metacritic score will be around 75, with 78-79 Being the optimistic side of the prediction.

Wonder what the User Score would be... I'm guessing 2.5 because of the Epic Exclusivity. :(

We should post our own reviews of the game when it comes out. Not long essays or anything but what we really think of the game without being blind to it's bad points.

I think your guesses are probably about right, @Reprise.

Is it possible for us to write "guest review" on smaller game blogs? Im not into gaming or blogging, but if i had a small blog that needed some help then i would gladly take some "exclusive" review from someone

Back