Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I start wondering if part of the first segment would be to understand what happened in the cave
and what are the clues to Shenhua's father's whereabouts you can get from it.

It could be a nice surprise to have the recreated cave scene,
only once you completed the "tutorial" investigating.

Another point of view would be to start latter, just for the player to get better
"how Ryo and Shenhua felt the Sh2 end-scene."
I mean, we saw it already a few few times, possibly know it by heart.
But, I always felt like the way the character felt it was still up in the air.

Not starting with the cave scene could well be a clear opening statement :
"This game is not all about the spectacular events. It is introspective."

Agreed; the first CS may even include the Sword bit. We'll see, but the game will DEFINITELY have its first scene in the cave.

I don't see why not... I'd like to chill in the cave when I want some downtime :)

Actaully yea, while Yu Suzuki is completely against 3 continuing from the cave, there's more then enough evidence that we'll most likely beable to go back to the cave.

I start wondering if part of the first segment would be to understand what happened in the cave
and what are the clues to Shenhua's father's whereabouts you can get from it.

It could be a nice surprise to have the recreated cave scene,
only once you completed the "tutorial" investigating.

Another point of view would be to start latter, just for the player to get better
"how Ryo and Shenhua felt the Sh2 end-scene."
I mean, we saw it already a few few times, possibly know it by heart.
But, I always felt like the way the character felt it was still up in the air.

Not starting with the cave scene could well be a clear opening statement :
"This game is not all about the spectacular events. It is introspective."

Yea that's the theory I had since the KS, because even if Yu doesn't want to continue from when we left off, Ryo still needs to help Shenhua find out what happened to her father.

However I can't agree with that last part. I think Ryo, and Shenhua know exactly what they were they were feeling(a sense of awe, and a moment of pure enlightenment/awakening when they realize the prophecy is of them).

After 20 years of waiting the cave has become the symbol of Shenmue’s failure and the dead end that most of us never thought could be overcome.
It might be trivial to remake the last part of Shenmue II, and most probably it wouldn’t be so important if the game had been released in the early 2000, but after all this years It would be anticlimactic to not include that scene from the opening.
Anyway, judging from what’s shown by the prophecy trailer, I highly doubt it is the case. Most probably it will not be a playable section, just a recap cutscene of what happened in the cave.
I can almost see it, after the cave scene the screen fade out to the title screen, and rivers of tears begin to flow... XD

Random thought
But has anyone noticed that
View attachment 4584
This guy right here
View attachment 4585
Looks a lot like This guy???

Maybe Yu loved the labyrinth movie or he ripped it off ???

Everytime I see him I think of the worm.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to unsee the difference since the TGS demo.
Hahahaha Good one dude!

'Shenmue 3's Demo Is 1999 In A Bottle'
- Kotaku

Perfect. I've been waiting to imbibe this vintage for the past two decades!
they could at least say 2001 for fucks sake lol

Hahahaha Good one dude!

they could at least say 2001 for fucks sake lol
I get that people aren't meaning it as an insult when they continually bring up the original release date of Shenmue, but it's honestly getting tiring reading that as the takeaway line from virtually every other preview. Why can't any of these journos look at the game and say something like "holy SHIT Shenmue sure was/is unique and ahead of its time. This doesn't particularly fit the average mold of games past OR present!". Or hell, how about simply something like "WOW this is a fucking impressive and interesting game" without qualifiers about how newcomers won't like it.

At this point, I really don't buy the idea that new comers are going to be turned off by the eccentricity of Shenmue. If anything, I think people now are more open to (and actively interested in) this sort of weirdness than when the series debuted. After playing the demo in particular, I really think a whole new generation is going to end up falling head over heels in love with this series. It's really that good.

Last edited:
After 20 years of waiting the cave has become the symbol of Shenmue’s failure and the dead end that most of us never thought could be overcome.
It might be trivial to remake the last part of Shenmue II, and most probably it wouldn’t be so important if the game had been released in the early 2000, but after all this years It would be anticlimactic to not include that scene from the opening.
Anyway, judging from what’s shown by the prophecy trailer, I highly doubt it is the case. Most probably it will not be a playable section, just a recap cutscene of what happened in the cave.
I can almost see it, after the cave scene the screen fade out to the title screen, and rivers of tears begin to flow... XD

It doesn't fade out to the main screen, it fades to, "The Story Goes On!" Followed by credits (with the best credit music in gaming history), then the picture of Shenhua, Lan Di, Ryo and Niao Sun.

Then the save screen, THEN the title screen.

Am I the only one who thinks there's going to be a No Food/Min Health, hardest mode, full playthrough streaming movement after the game releases?

I get that people aren't meaning it as an insult when they continually bring up the original release date of Shenmue, but it's honestly getting tiring reading that as the takeaway line from virtually every other preview. Why can't any of these journos look at the game and say something like "holy SHIT Shenmue sure was/is unique and ahead of its time. This doesn't particularly fit the average mold of games past OR present!". Or hell, how about simply something like "WOW this is a fucking impressive and interesting game" without qualifiers about how newcomers won't like it.

At this point, I really don't buy the idea that new comers are going to be turned off by the eccentricity of Shenmue. If anything, I think people now are more open to (and actively interested in) this sort of weirdness than when the series debuted. After playing the demo in particular, I really think a whole new generation is going to end up falling head over heels in love with this series. It's really that good.

It’s two fold

1.) The design isn’t conventional modern design so therefore ”it’s old!” To some degree, I get it. I’m not really phased about it one way or the other either. It’s exactly what I wanted it to be so why get annoyed if someone says it?

and secondly, and more importantly

2.) Journalists are a lazy and ”follow the leader“ bunch. Need I remind you of the “it’s the Dark Souls of...” days to describe every game that was remotely difficult? Because blisteringly difficult games didn’t exist before Dark Souls, apparently.

they latch onto one sentiment and they echo It. Why do you think so many people latch onto the Yakuza/Shenmue comparisons? Likely because they heard someone like Jeff Gerstmann say it and took it as gospel. Despite the fact that Jeff barely spent any time with either franchise to really tell the difference for himself. I mean I like Jeff as a personality, but it does drive home how lazy media can be in terms of latching onto one thing and just echoing it.

Last edited:
It’s two fold

1.) The design isn’t conventional modern design so therefore ”it’s old!” To some degree, I get it. I’m not really phased about it one way or the other either.

and secondly, and most importantly

2.) Journalists are a lazy bunch. Need I remind you of the “it’s the Dark Souls of...” to describe every game that was remotely difficult? Because blisteringly difficult games didn’t exist before Dark Souls, apparently.

they latch onto one sentiment and they echo It. Why do you think so many people latch onto the Yakuza/Shenmue comparisons? Likely because they heard someone like Jeff Gerstmann say it and took it as gospel.
I mean yeah, I get that Shenmue doesn't fit with current design trends. But it sure as fuck doesn't fit with the design trends of late 90's/early 2000's either, nor the years before that. But you're right, I think a big part of the problem is game journos are just lazy, uncreative blobs. They should really spend less time reading what their peers are saying so that they can produce some original analyses for once imo, but what do I know.

yeah.

The " Feels like a Dreamcast game" and "Feels like a 1999 game" punchline is aging very quickly.

Specially since the game changed A LOT!

To me that punchline is what really gets me super excited about Shenmue 3.

I think with other adventure games that have been doing really well for the past years S3 will be a hit.

I think people and younger gamers want a new experience look at Detroit or any of the telltale games. I truly believe that S3 will sell well enough to give us 4.

Guys Yu Suzuki obviously didn't forget about the sword; it's literally in the demo.
View attachment 4588
mind-blown.gif

Back