Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I see your point @Van Joel Sandwich.
But when screen shots or videos say other wise i think we're safe. Except for the haters of course.

From what we have seen i believe we are totally safe except for the toy capsule loot boxes. I have a feeling people will give away their life savings to collect them all ?

Where did the idea that the sword could be retconned come from anyways? I know that's not what you said, but I swear I read someone on here say that Yu didn't like the S2 ending and wanted to get rid of the flying sword.
I've just heard rumblings here and there that some people in the fandom didn't like the magic in that final scene, and it made me worry if YS Net would tone things down with a mild retcon.

This is the funniest shit! Some guy just made a video calling shenmue capsule toys "loot boxes!"??

My wife left me five years ago, as I try endlessly to find Kids Dural clear. I wander the streets, with the smell of Seagrams and Gauloises on my breath, as I spend the life insurance formerly saved for my kids in order to get that capsule.
The true reason it's taken so long to get out of the cave? We had to wait 20 years for the in-game currency to mature!

More seriously, this is the same hermeneutic garbage we've seen with most negative reviews: I must view games through my 20XX categories (how embarrassing our 2018 opinions will soon sound)!

IIRC Yu Suzuki recently stated that 3 begins the day after 2 ended. We've seen the cave scene at least partially re-created in the trailer when the fires are being lit and are connected by the ropes. So even if 3 doesn't begin at the moment that 2 ended, it's likely we'll see some version of the ending of 2 at some point, maybe in a flashback.

The general consensus I've gathered from reviewers who've played the demo is that the graphics are acceptable and the gameplay is characteristically Shenmue, however the game seems to be plagued by clunky animations.

It is absolutely imperative that Yu and team get the game up to snuff before launch. Shenmue cannot afford any negative reviews from the gaming media. The past four years have seen Shenmue 3 surrounded by missteps (poor Kickstarter/Crowdfunding management and marketing), controversy (false stories of Sony funding the development) and outright revilement (the Epic store fiasco).

If we are to see a sequel, we'll need that positive press and those word of mouth recommendations from the gaming community to spur sales over that 1 million mark and guarantee Shenmue 4's development.

Last edited:
Erm am I missing something regarding the cave? Who said the cave scene is completely omitted from the game? The cave scene is featured extensively in numerous trailers and we've seen screenshots of Ryo and Shenhua leaving the cave.

It's pretty obvious that whilst the game will start the day after the cave scene, the opening cutscene will pick up right from the cave cliffhanger from Shenmue 2 and continue from there...
Agreed; the first CS may even include the Sword bit. We'll see, but the game will DEFINITELY have its first scene in the cave.

I don't see why not... I'd like to chill in the cave when I want some downtime :)

I believe both to be true. They wouldn’t have remade the cave and the fire and the mirrors only for one scene so I have no doubt we will be going back. I also believe the ending of Shenmue 2 is the intro to Shenmue 3 then time skip a few days later. Shenmue 1 worked the same way with the game starting a few days after the intro with Iwao being murdered.

I think the battle system will not be a big problem in the final release.
I think i watched like 12, 13, 14, 15 Twitch streams and 5+ Youtube videos
and pretty much all of those people were saying something like "this feels different / weird", "this is not Virtua Fighter style right?"
when they are playing the first battle. As soon as they accept that they cant play it like in the old games,
they are getting used to it and then after 4, 5, 6 battles its not a problem anymore.
Thats why i think a lot of these problems are not really problems,
people are just expecting something different and have to get used to it.
Its the same phenomenon when you are trying to play Nioh like Dark Souls for example just because its the same genre.
It doesnt work. You have to accept that you have to learn something new and different
and then you can have probably the same level of fun.

So graphically, the complaints have died down majorily, but now the battle system lack of presentation/throws is the new beating stick now I'm seeing echo across Sns. smh.

I don't get people's complaints about the animations at all, they look great.

As for no throws, while it may seem odd "thinking about it", the truth is, throws in the Shenmue games worked best when treated as trump cards, they're not moves you would want to use constantly(well except Machine gun fist which you get later in the game, that the games counts as a throw, but it doesn't function like most throws. It's powerful, and knocks them down).

Yes we all love spamming throw during the 70 man battle of the 1st game, but yea throws are not meant to be treated as primary moves, so we'll get by without them.

I think the battle system will not be a big problem in the final release.
I think i watched like 12, 13, 14, 15 Twitch streams and 5+ Youtube videos
and pretty much all of those people are saying something like "this feels different / weird", "this is not Virtua Fighter style right?"
when they are playing the first battle. As soon as they find out that you cant play it like in the old games,
they are getting used to it and then after 4, 5, 6 battles its not a problem anymore.
Thats why i think a lot of these problems are not really problems,
people are just expecting something different and have to get used to it.
Its the same phenomenon when you are trying to play Nioh like Dark Souls for example
just because its the same genre, it doesnt work. You have to accept that you have to learn something new and different
and then you can have probably the same level of fun.

OMG don't even get me started on that cap. They clearly have rose colored gasses, because the new battle system smokes the virtual fighter engines. Thankfully the Shenmue games used a improved version of the prototype for virtual Fighter 3 Engine, because virtual fighter 1, and 2 were virtually unplayable.

However even with using a special version of the prototype 3, Shenmue 1, and 2s battle system was pretty sluggish, way more so then this new engine.

You know the problem they, and almost everyone has, they don't know that the moves them selves are harder to pull off, when they're/you're at lower levers, and the more you lv, the easier such gets. Although even factoring that in, It's still way better then the past games, so they don't get a by on that front either.

I don't get people's complaints about the animations at all, they look great.

It varies...I think Ryo's move set looks pretty nice...I also quite like that when you block, Ryo will actually throw his hand towards the limb attacking to stop it in defense...but the actual hit animations were the weakest animations of the bunch. Granted, it's because of the rag doll physics, but some of the hit animations ranged good to repetitive to awkward. Still, I think it looks way better than people give it credit for. In terms of the fighting at least...other animations in the game could use some work (if they haven't already done so)

It wasn't terrible though...but hey, I'm on the side of liking the new combat system...it really does remind me of Virtua Fighter 2 to some degree...just stripped of throws and counters...but I really like it.

It varies...I think Ryo's move set looks pretty nice...I also quite like that when you block, Ryo will actually throw his hand towards the limb attacking to stop it in defense...but the actual hit animations were the weakest animations of the bunch. Granted, it's because of the rag doll physics, but some of the hit animations ranged good to repetitive to awkward.

It wasn't terrible though...but hey, I'm on the side of liking the new combat system...it really does remind me of Virtua Fighter 2 to some degree...just stripped of throws...I really like it.

Yea ok, that's fair I guess. Yea that's another thing that I don't get, it has a lot in common with the virtual fighter engine, but a lot faster, and yea minus the throws.

Question to People who have played the game. Did you feel any delays from the controls of the game when playing the demo. The German M Games say that there is a delay. They did it again in a peview a few month ago already and a recent preview they mentioned the delays again...

@WildManofBorneo Your optimism is remarkable. I agree that bad Reviews could hurt the Reputation but saying Shenmue 3 cannot afford bad Reviews is a bit over the top. Bad Reviews are inevitable. They will come and there will be many of them.

Shenmue 3 seems to feel and play like Shenmue. And that is great News for us fans.

But the crictics had their Problems with Shenmue 1 and 2 back then. And These Critics were more serious Gamers than the political puppets and Attention whores we have today in the gaming journalism world. When even the more serious game Reviewers from the early 2000s had issues with the game, it just logicial to asume that the current gen of "jouralists will even more Problems with it.

Shenmue 3 is going to get mixed Reviews. There is no way to prevent that :(

Question to People who have played the game. Did you feel any delays from the controls of the game when playing the demo. The German M Games say that there is a delay. They did it again in a peview a few month ago already and a recent preview they mentioned the delays again...

@WildManofBorneo Your optimism is remarkable. I agree that bad Reviews could hurt the Reputation but saying Shenmue 3 cannot afford bad Reviews is a bit over the top. Bad Reviews are inevitable. They will come and there will be many of them.

Shenmue 3 seems to feel and play like Shenmue. And that is great News for us fans.

But the crictics had their Problems with Shenmue 1 and 2 back then. And These Critics were more serious Gamers than the political puppets and Attention whores we have today in the gaming journalism world. When even the more serious game Reviewers from the early 2000s had issues with the game, it just logicial to asume that the current gen of "jouralists will even more Problems with it.

Shenmue 3 is going to get mixed Reviews. There is no way to prevent that :(
Honestly, the first two game did very good.
And even the re-releases, altough with their problems reviews quite fine.
Shenmue 3 seems like is going to be a game thats going to be a lil easier for some new players to jump cause of the improved controls and graphics.
And not to mention some reviewers are also fans. So we should get a good balance between good/bad reviews that end up withing more on the positive side . I'm optimistic!

Back