Shenmue 3 got Major Exposure

I don't think I like pretty much any trailer for the game so far from a marketing standpoint, I think a couple of them are decentish for fans but I really think alot of this games woes of attracting a new audience come down to how poorly made the trailers are. It really needed a trailer like the prophecy one that gives a good feeling of tone and story but then also have the gameplay showcase, it feels like all of them so far end well before when they should have and awkwardly end at that.

I don't know, the Gamesecom, Magic 2019, and the TGS Spirit of the Land trailer do a pretty damn good job.

Yeah I really dont know how anyone could take the ps2 comments seriously. Some ps2 games still had blocks for heads & even MGS 2 which is superb looking didnt have the character models of Shenmue in terms of detail.

Also on the topic of exposure, more aimed at wrestling fans, but via the 500k I saw that Kenny Omega backed Shenmue III on kickstarter.

KO is boss.

But Okada is better ;)

19.6m subscriber base and over 400k views.

I'm getting so many mixed feeling, like I know we're niche but for a niche title, Its influence and reach in pop culture is so far and wide. Even Celebs and people in other professional field of entertainment knows Shenmue. Both East and West. :eek::oops::whistle:
Well so many things they love in Skyrim are straight out of Shemue. Same for so many others. Still that trailer is not how I'd grab those people's attentions. I just hope the hidden art trailer gets buffed up with facial animations, and gets used more.

I don't know, the Gamesecom, Magic 2019, and the TGS Spirit of the Land trailer do a pretty damn good job.
I think those are ok, but again I don't think its gonna attract anyone outside of pre-established fans when it probably could, I even recall alot of those trailers actually just confused people out of the know about what Shenmue is even supposed to be. I am praying the launch trailer is one that actually nails down a cinematic trailer that shows the game in its best form, sampling the story and putting alot of focus on the gameplay too, I also hope it doesn't just end awkwardly like all the other ones have so far where it felt like it was about to head into something only to just sort of stop.

Last edited:
Yeah I really dont know how anyone could take the ps2 comments seriously. Some ps2 games still had blocks for heads & even MGS 2 which is superb looking didnt have the character models of Shenmue in terms of detail.

Also on the topic of exposure, more aimed at wrestling fans, but via the 500k I saw that Kenny Omega backed Shenmue III on kickstarter.

I kept wondering if Kenny the huge video game geek was into Shenmue. He had to have been, now it's confirmed. About PS2, look at Shadow of Destiny, look at Final fantasy 10 https://i.redd.it/4ogd3ojeieu01.jpg
You can kid yourself all you want. Heck check out OTHER Dreamcast RPGs, even the first party made ones. https://www.heypoorplayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Skies-of-Arcadia-1-768x432.jpg The war is over. Shenmue was a unique super detailed game, unlike EVERY OTHER DC game I saw, unlike all else on any medium for 1 year or so. It'd look great on PS2, if Yu Suzuki could at that time do away with the envy, the spite, and treat it as another medium for his games. This hatred of anything Sony made me laugh in 2000. I got the DC for Shenmue, found a few more games on it I loved, but come on. Shenmue was unique, not the DC. It's 2019, come on. https://d2skuhm0vrry40.cloudfront.n....jpg/EG11/resize/300x-1/quality/75/format/jpg
Some games were a bit better, some worse. Zero others had Shenmue detail. BTW even since very few till recently did. Shenmue is a work of art that should have gone on in 2004, yes on PS2. A Japanese console that would expose Shenmue to a much wider audience and you'd have way more parts made for it as was invisioned. I hope he can really explode into it now, better late than never. Give me another game with Shenmue quality realistic graphics on the Dreamcast. Even the game set in Alaska I did enjoy, but can't remember the name of was not even close.

I think those are ok, but again I don't think its gonna attract like anyone outside of pre-established fans when it probably could, I even recall alot of those trailers actually just confused people out of the know about what Shenmue is even supposed to be.
I say spam martial arts training, spam it from 1&2, into the 3. Look at what they say about Spirit of the land one. Trash graphics, the mountains are like paper. Stupid comments like that. stress what unique about Shenmue in 2019. Stress that yes Yakuza in your pic is just a pale imitation allowed by SEGA to use what was in Shenmue, catering to the lowest common denominator. It may grab tons of new fans.

Well so many things they love in Skyrim are straight out of Shemue. Same for so many others. Still that trailer is not how I'd grab those people's attentions. I just hope the hidden art trailer gets buffed up with facial animations, and gets used more.
But that is the hidden art trailer. Why would you want it to get used more if you think it's not the way to grab people's attention?

Also, the more I watch this, the more I realize that the one who says it's just an old PS2 game is a complete idiot. "They still look like Sega crap?" Also, why does being an old PS2 game make a game bad anyway? Just STFU about things you know nothing about, you obnoxious little shit. And get off my lawn.

I say spam martial arts training, spam it from 1&2, into the 3. Look at what they say about Spirit of the land one. Trash graphics, the mountains are like paper. Stupid comments like that. stress what unique about Shenmue in 2019. Stress that yes Yakuza in your pic is just a pale imitation allowed by SEGA to use what was in Shenmue, catering to the lowest common denominator. It may grab tons of new fans.
Shitting on other franchises is the fastest way to turn people away from the game not towards it, and yakuza isnt a pale imitation or an imitation at all, that comparison needs to squashed once and for all as its an absolute disservice to both game's achievements when the only real similarities boil down to surface level comparisons and both being made by sega.

Shenmue is good on its own, it doesn't need to be some gotcha to other games, just be honest about what it is and how it comes with the added baggage of it not being for everyone.

But that is the hidden art trailer. Why would you want it to get used more if you think it's not the way to grab people's attention?

Also, the more I watch this, the more I realize that the one who says it's just an old PS2 game is a complete idiot. "They still look like Sega crap?" Also, why does being an old PS2 game make a game bad anyway? Just STFU about things you know nothing about, you obnoxious little shit. And get off my lawn.
The hidden art I thought started with a grandmaster telling Ryo his Kung Fu was not good enough. With a wooden face the entire time... I still can't understand that. The demo uses the tech, but not everywhere. That I get, WIP. This tiny trailer they couldn't implement it for? As far as PS2, FFX is very popular still on Steam. It's likely the last real Final Fantasy too. It's gorgeous, it's insanely addictive. Just like Shenmue. If Shenmue 3 is a PS2 game, great. Some of those are better than any modern BS I keep seeing put out every year. I can't freaking wait till November!

The hidden art I thought started with a grandmaster telling Ryo his Kung Fu was not good enough. With a wooden face the entire time... I still can't understand that. The demo uses the tech, but not everywhere. That I get, WIP. This tiny trailer they couldn't implement it for? As far as PS2, FFX is very popular still on Steam. It's likely the last real Final Fantasy too. It's gorgeous, it's insanely addictive. Just like Shenmue. If Shenmue 3 is a PS2 game, great. Some of those are better than any modern BS I keep seeing put out every year. I can't freaking wait till November!
It does start that way, but what they showed in this video is just the second half of the same trailer. I agree they should have used the whole thing and not just the second half. As for the demo having better facial animation, it was released almost four months after that trailer.

I kept wondering if Kenny the huge video game geek was into Shenmue. He had to have been, now it's confirmed. About PS2, look at Shadow of Destiny, look at Final fantasy 10 https://i.redd.it/4ogd3ojeieu01.jpg
You can kid yourself all you want. Heck check out OTHER Dreamcast RPGs, even the first party made ones. https://www.heypoorplayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Skies-of-Arcadia-1-768x432.jpg The war is over. Shenmue was a unique super detailed game, unlike EVERY OTHER DC game I saw, unlike all else on any medium for 1 year or so. It'd look great on PS2, if Yu Suzuki could at that time do away with the envy, the spite, and treat it as another medium for his games. This hatred of anything Sony made me laugh in 2000. I got the DC for Shenmue, found a few more games on it I loved, but come on. Shenmue was unique, not the DC. It's 2019, come on. https://d2skuhm0vrry40.cloudfront.n....jpg/EG11/resize/300x-1/quality/75/format/jpg
Some games were a bit better, some worse. Zero others had Shenmue detail. BTW even since very few till recently did. Shenmue is a work of art that should have gone on in 2004, yes on PS2. A Japanese console that would expose Shenmue to a much wider audience and you'd have way more parts made for it as was invisioned. I hope he can really explode into it now, better late than never. Give me another game with Shenmue quality realistic graphics on the Dreamcast. Even the game set in Alaska I did enjoy, but can't remember the name of was not even close.
FFX was less impressive than MGS2 to me. Honestly, it looked good for the hardware and the time, but the image quality was crap running on an actual PS2. I fully admit I'm a massive DC fanboy, but to this day I still don't think anything on that console looked as good as SA2 or Shenmue 1.

Shitting on other franchises is the fastest way to turn people away from the game not towards it, and yakuza isnt a pale imitation or an imitation at all, that comparison needs to squashed once and for all as its an absolute disservice to both game's achievements when the only real similarities boil down to surface level comparisons and both being made by sega.

Shenmue is good on its own, it doesn't need to be some gotcha to other games, just be honest about what it is and how it comes with the added baggage of it not being for everyone.
Absolutely. Everyone here hates it when Yakuza fans (I’m one, just not die hard) say Yakuza made Shenmue obsolete, so why’s it any better it we say Shenmue 3 renders Yakuza obsolete? More than enough room for both series and I wish them both long lives.

Absolutely. Everyone here hates it when Yakuza fans (I’m one, just not die hard) say Yakuza made Shenmue obsolete, so why’s it any better it we say Shenmue 3 renders Yakuza obsolete? More than enough room for both series and I wish them both long lives.
True. And you have to remember that like 99% of people saying "Yakuza is Shenmue but fun" don't even play either series for the most part.

True. And you have to remember that like 99% of people saying "Yakuza is Shenmue but fun" don't even play either series for the most part.
I do not want to be that guy, but I'm gonna be that guy, a lot of that started only after people got into the series with 0 and started acting like they knew the series in and out, basically making it cool to like all of the sudden. Back in the good ol days when we would get yakuza games years late with butchered translations, cut content, and complete uncertainty in the next release ever happening,, the Shenmue comparisons whilst still unfounded were a lot more meant in a way to compliment yakuza's uniqueness and bring people on board to a niche game that was struggling to find any major audience in the west.

I am forever grateful the franchise is now actually successful, but I am a bit miffed at the change in discourse over the games after its boom, especially in the way a lot of newcomers try to act like the older games are completely irrelevant which admittedly sega isn't helping with by erasing 1 and 2 from existence more or less.

I'd not say obsolete. I just still remember playing Yakuza. First game in many years I never finished. I truly hated it. Then I saw bits of other ones on YouTube over the years. I'm sorry if it rubs people the wrong way. Some day I might try one of the latest Yakuza 0 that's on Steam. I refuse to until Shenmue 3. I still well remember playing and hating Yakuza. If it got better in some ways. OK. I remember playing Shenmue for the first time on other hand, such a huge difference. I'll keep my Yakuza opinions to myself till I play their later version. Then if I still do hate it, expect a storm on Steam or Amazon about it. Not here LOL.

Played both, played Shenmue to death in it's time, and later on PC. Then I got duped into exactly that, oh there's a new RPG from SEGA that's like Shenmue! If you want i'll attach a photo of that crap disc in it's case. I still have it. I can't even tell you how much about that thing I hated back then. Of course I've refused to play any that came later on. Though they might have gotten OK by that time. They all still had that vibe from the videos I saw. Words can't explain it. I've been debating trying Yakuza zero in a while. I don't think I'll like it as much as my favorite games, but I saw a video of it, and it seems a bit better.

I do not want to be that guy, but I'm gonna be that guy, a lot of that started only after people got into the series with 0 and started acting like they knew the series in and out, basically making it cool to like all of the sudden. Back in the good ol days when we would get yakuza games years late with butchered translations, cut content, and complete uncertainty in the next release ever happening,, the Shenmue comparisons whilst still unfounded were a lot more meant in a way to compliment yakuza's uniqueness and bring people on board to a niche game that was struggling to find any major audience in the west.

I am forever grateful the franchise is now actually successful, but I am a bit miffed at the change in discourse over the games after its boom, especially in the way a lot of newcomers try to act like the older games are completely irrelevant which admittedly sega isn't helping with by erasing 1 and 2 from existence more or less.
I'll try to explain my hate over Yakuza then. SEGA didn't fund my favorite game of all time, but did go to a completely new team to fund that thing. The thing came out, I bought it because of the SEGA on the title, and the hopes it was a bit like Shenmue with OK a darker touch to it to catch the lowest common denominator. I got stunned at how boring and repetitive it really was. How really empty on gameplay it felt to me. I never finished it. I still hate the fact that they kept funding that over so many years, and not my favorite game. I might be wrong on the later Yakuza games in some ways. I watched the bits of them here and there, and recognized the first one just enough to bring the feeling back. After Shenmue 3 is out, and I've finished it. I'll play the later Yakuza game. And if I still hate it, I'll review it on Steam. Get ready LOL, decades of hate, plus the new hate added. You'll despise me even more then LOL. If I do like it, I'll review it too.

I'll try to explain my hate over Yakuza then. SEGA didn't fund my favorite game of all time, but did go to a completely new team to fund that thing. The thing came out, I bought it because of the SEGA on the title, and the hopes it was a bit like Shenmue with OK a darker touch to it to catch the lowest common denominator. I got stunned at how boring and repetitive it really was. How really empty on gameplay it felt to me. I never finished it. I still hate the fact that they kept funding that over so many years, and not my favorite game. I might be wrong on the later Yakuza games in some ways. I watched the bits of them here and there, and recognized the first one just enough to bring the feeling back. After Shenmue 3 is out, and I've finished it. I'll play the later Yakuza game. And if I still hate it, I'll review it on Steam. Get ready LOL, decades of hate, plus the new hate added. You'll despise me even more then LOL. If I do like it, I'll review it too.
It's funny. This is an unpopular opinion now, but I remember there being quite a bit of resentment and anger toward Sega on here way back when Yakuza was first announced because it looked similar to Shenmue, except it wasn't Shenmue. I think it's a lot easier for Shenmue fans to accept its existence and enjoy it for what it is now that we're finally getting Shenmue III.

It's funny. This is an unpopular opinion now, but I remember there being quite a bit of resentment and anger toward Sega on here way back when Yakuza was first announced because it looked similar to Shenmue, except it wasn't Shenmue. I think it's a lot easier for Shenmue fans to accept its existence and enjoy it for what it is now that we're finally getting Shenmue III.
I've been shilling yakuza since its debut, I never saw the shenmue comparisons till like the 3rd game, I don't even know how you can compare it to yakuza 1 to be honest theres like no overlap and even back then the way yakuza 1 handled traversal was so much more heavily geared to being a normal rpg that just happened to have action combat even down to no camera control in traversal similar to alot of rpgs on the ps2. Like I can at least humor the comparison for 3 and up a bit but for 1, hell nah that's a massive stretch almost all the things people use to compare yakuza to shenmue weren't even really present in that game, even the minigames were pretty much just gambling and a batting cage it wasnt even humoring a interactive world.

Back then it was all about that Japanese gta comparison, an equally confusing and frustrating comparison based on absolutely nothing, but that one was worse cause thats how sega advertised the game

Last edited:
Back