Are there any “young” gamers on here?

Alright then. As you know I played the HD version of steam. I knew the game as a "cult game" and always wanted to play it but couldn't make work the dreamcast's emulator, so the steam version was perfect for me. I absolutelly loved it and here I am.
I played psx and ps2, I had a megadrive in the middle so I played a lot of Sonic and the not-so-much liked game of the mini megadrive Sonic pinball. I really liked it.

You're a bona fide twink, babe. PM me immediately 😘
You'll just gonna use me like the others. You just want my islands :persevere:

Last edited:
I'm 22 and I've loved Shenmue ever since I can remember. My oldest brother had the game when I was around 4-5 or so. I'm pretty sure I had little to no idea what was going on when I first played but I knew the game was fun. Shenmue, along with Jet Set Radio were the first games I've ever played and they've been my favorite series ever since. It's still crazy to think that I went through my whole school career from elementary to college waiting for SIII.

I'm still waiting for Jet Set Radio 3 though :(

24 is relatively young I guess, I've been playing since I was a really young kid though so I have a lot of appreciation for older games. I played shenmue 1 around like 2011 but didn't play 2 until the HD collection.

I'm 22. Dreamcast was my second console (following the PS1). My brother who is a few years older than me was really into Shenmue when it was new, but I was probably a little too young to get it. However I'd watch him play for hours every day and every so often I'd have a go myself to play the arcade games or buy toy capsules.

Eventually we got an Xbox and the Dreamcast was packed away, but I never forgot the game. It definitely held a special spot in my memories. When I was a bit older, I broke out the Dreamcast again and actually played the games for real. I remember being shocked that there was actually an in depth story behind this game where you buy fizzy juice and play arcade games haha. But I was enthralled by it, and that's how I became the Shenmue fan that I am today!

I am 31, so probably in the middle of the age range. I remember seeing a thread about how people got into Shenmue, so I'll tell my story here then. :-)

I was reading about Shenmue 1 in a gaming magazine that was bought by my sister because "the girl on the cover looked so nice" (this was in December 2000). At the time, we did not have the money to buy a new console (living in Eastern Europe is tough), but when I read about Shenmue in that magazine, I knew that I want to get a Dreamcast just to play it. Fortunately, my parents got some extra money next year so they bought me a Dreamcast on 21st September 2001.

The problem was that they did not sell Shenmue anywhere in the city and I did not know that I could get it from another store from another city (being 13, I knew very little about how the world works). But then in March 2002, there was an advert in a local newspaper by a guy saying that he sells copies of PlayStation and Dreamcast games. It turned out that he was running a CD-burning business (because at the time, it was quite expensive to get a CD-RW drive), and he had dozens of Dreamcast and PlayStation CD images (again, I did not know that such things exist). So after phoning up the guy, my parents ordered me the first Shenmue game. I played it for weeks and weeks, I just loved the whole story and the Japanese atmosphere. At the time, I could speak English on a basic level, so I decided to translate the main cutscenes of the game. It took about 6 weeks, and then I showed it to my English teacher. She was very happy with my progress so she gave me an extra mark and told me parents that I should focus on learning English, because I seem to be good at it.

Almost a year has passed and I started to lose hope that I could ever play Shenmue 2. But then, I saw another advert which said that Shenmue 2 was available among the games offered by this seller. I jumped around happily, and my parents ordered the game for me. In late February 2003, I could finally play Shenmue 2. I remember playing the first disc for about 7-8 hours, and I almost collapsed from the tiredness I felt. But then in 3 days, I managed to complete the game (my parents even told at school at I was off-sick so that I could finish the game in one sitting).

Fast forward 12 years, and we have the Kickstarer announcement. By that time, I had already visited Japan twice, I went to Yokosuka, I had some American-styled burger in Dobuita, and I was planning to do the Hong Kong part of the Shenmue pilgrimage. I finished high school and university (I had English linguistics as my major), I moved to the UK, I built a career in IT, so I was very happy to put down $300 for the Kickstarter campaign.
Fast forward another 4 years, and now in 8 days, I will be playing Shenmue 3 (this time, the original game, and not a pirated copy) . It is just incredible.

Hi im 18 i play shenmue 1 et 2 hd on ps4 last year and it was an wonderful experience I fell in love with these games I never experiences that before with any game now I'm a huge fan I have preordered shenmue 3 and I can't wait I'm glad I only know shenmue last year I can't imagine shenmue fan wait my all life to play this game now the question is why I bought shenmue simply because I watch the e3 2015 sony conference and I was amazed by the crown and people going nut for a sequel of a game so I wanted to experience that myself when they announced shenmue 1 and 2 hd I bought it day 1 and I really don't regret it sorry for my bad English btw I'm from France

Awesome. I believe there are many French Shenmue fans, on here and elsewhere!

I’m young (22). My only nostalgia for Shenmue was playing the Shenmue 2 demo on Xbox as a kid. I was too young to even experience Shenmue 1 or the Dreamcast for that matter. I got into games around 2008 and that’s when I would go back and play some from my childhood.

I ended up remembering the Shenmue 2 demo I played so much and looked it up and started watching ScottishDuck’s YouTube videos (back when Let’s Plays with around 10-20k views were rare and deemed popular - those were the days). This encouraged me to buy the full version for my Xbox to try it out and I loved it. I then borrowed my uncle’s Dreamcast and bought Shenmue 1 (around 2009) and enjoyed it even more than 2.

I’m just a fan of slower, relaxing (for the most part) and fleshed out open-world games with lots of details, NPCs who have their own names, back stories and daily routines in atmospheric environments. It’s why I like games like Shenmue, Harvest Moon, Sims 3, Persona etc so much more than GTA or Red Dead. I also prefer Shenmue to Yakuza because of those things and how grounded it is (though I do love Yakuza for different reasons).

If Shenmue became one of my favourite game series without nostalgia, then I’m sure the same has occurred for others. There are even streamers like Brutalmoose and Joel from Vinesauce who played Shenmue for the first time in 2017/18 and it’s already amongst their favourite games of all time.

Back