Are there any “young” gamers on here?

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Ghost of Tsushima
PSN
mjqjazzbar
We are so caught up on the diehard fans and the people whove waited 15+ years for this game, but I’m kind of curious about another group of Shenmue fans.

Are any of you still in high school or around that age or college aged? I am curious how you got into the series and how you think the first two games compare to “modern” games.

are any of your friends interested in Shenmue or Shenmue 3, for that matter?

I was 14 when Shenmue came out in the States, so obviously the original games had some appeal to a younger audience originally. I’m pretty curious how people who weren’t even alive 18 years ago feel about Shenmue.

the gaming landscape is so different now. You’ve got $.99 phone games with graphics we couldn’t have even imagined in 2000. You’ve got free games that feature more content than some fully priced games. I often wonder what makes a fully priced single player experience successful these days with the younger generation

Last edited:
Like I wonder what would even draw a younger gamer to Shenmue. Where would they hear about it? What would interest them about it? They missed so much of the innovation Sega and Yu Suzuki brought to gaming so even that context is missing for them, but I know retro games are still huge for a reason.

what does Sega mean to someone who grew up without Sega even in the console business?

Last edited:
I think @RetroLord120 said he's "younger" compared to many of us. There was another newish user here who loved the the HD collection and said he was like 19 or something. I can't remember his handle, but all of us old grandpas were ecstatic over his positive impressions lmao.
18 (y) I'm a bit of a retro gamer and collector myself so of course I would hear about them eventually. I got a dreamcast that had burned copies of 1 but those didn't work, but later down the line after the kickstarter I decided to try 1 out. I loved it! That being said I grew up with retro games which makes me more lenient to the older generation of games haha

Last edited:
Awesome. So so far an interest in retro games and influence from siblings or parents.

I’ve got a young son-3-and while he doesn’t get more than five or ten minutes very infrequently on games, it’s always something retro on my Raspberry Pi or a new lost classic like Sonic Mania.

Do you guys think current high schoolers or college age people have much interest in single player games anymore, or are most kids into stuff like Fortnite and have no interest in single player games?

It’s so weird to me to imagine growing up without a single Sega console. To some of you Sega are like Atari were to me, except the Jaguar was actually around when I was a kid. It’s hard to believe how far ago Sega’s days of glory were...

I bet you guys must think it’s weird people are still into something like Sonic. It’s hard to believe, but 20+ years ago Sonic was as highly regarded as Mario!

Do you guys think current high schoolers or college age people have much interest in single player games anymore, or are most kids into stuff like Fortnite and have no interest in single player games?
Single player games are well and truly still alive even amongst the younger crowd but funnily enough if you look at statistics there's far more younger gamers that would say they prefer online multiplayer compared to say 20 years ago when it wasn't really a thing. So basically it's still in their interest but mabye less so because you know... there's competitive online games now. I'm strictly a single player gamer myself

I'm 34. Sega have been out of the hardware business longer than they were in it at this point so yeah I share your pain. I was an absolute Sega nut growing up, but even as a child, I lamented the business decisions they made. To this day I have never known a holder of such legacy IP do so little to nothing with it. It's frustrating.

At least they seem to be finally embracing the past. Shenmue 3, Streets of Rage 4, proper USB Sega Saturn controllers. The Mega Drive mini with some care and attention put into it. Sonic Mania. House of the Dead and Panzer remakes. It's feels like they are finally getting some Mojo back. I just hope they keep the momentum going and don't go back into a slump.

Last edited:
Yeah, online games were pretty niche when I was in high school. Many of them had a monthly subscription fee or required internet speeds people didn’t have access to. I don’t think it REALLY took off on consoles until the 360/PS3, though the Dreamcast did introduce built-in access to multiplayer games—albeit at 56K speeds. Free to play definitely wasn’t around.

if I were in charge of marketing the third game in a series that was around when some of you weren’t even born, I wonder what I’d do.

I feel young at heart now that 3 is so close. Like waiting for Christmas. I'm 31, still young. Kind of. Even though average Shenmue fan age is 30+.

I do have a friend from my Street Fighter locals that has played S1 and 2 back when he was 8. Hes 21.

Yes, I'm 17 and I think there are a couple of people who knew that.

I remember joining the original dojo in 2015 because I was having a problem emulating the first game.

My friends all know I like Shenmue but they don't like it themselves. And that's fair enough.

I collect and play a lot of old games, so Shenmue fits into the sort of thing I like to play.

I’m a year out of Highschool, and I’ve known about Shenmue for maybe three or four years... so I’d say I’m pretty new to the series! :) I got introduced to it by a friend who was really into retro video games, and at first I thought it was sort of boring... (How far I’ve come!) But then I got a Dreamcast myself, and decided to give it another try, especially after finding out about the bombshell Shenmue 3 announcement. I saw the reactions of the guys at GameTrailers, and thought that I’d have to at least give it a try to see what the hype was about. After that I was hooked, and I’ve been a fan ever since!

I actually find the Shenmue series really fulfilling when it compares to modern games. I’m an old soul myself, so I tend to appreciate things from the good ol’ days more than some of my friends do, even if I wasn’t there to experience it. I think that’s why Shenmue speaks to me personally... It‘s able to transport me to a time I couldn’t live in myself. It feels real and immersive in ways other games still can’t achieve today.

I’m a year out of Highschool, and I’ve known about Shenmue for maybe three or four years... so I’d say I’m pretty new to the series! :) I got introduced to it by a friend who was really into retro video games, and at first I thought it was sort of boring... (How far I’ve come!) But then I got a Dreamcast myself, and decided to give it another try, especially after finding out about the bombshell Shenmue 3 announcement. I saw the reactions of the guys at GameTrailers, and thought that I’d have to at least give it a try to see what the hype was about. After that I was hooked, and I’ve been a fan ever since!

I actually find the Shenmue series really fulfilling when it compares to modern games. I’m an old soul myself, so I tend to appreciate things from the good ol’ days more than some of my friends do, even if I wasn’t there to experience it. I think that’s why Shenmue speaks to me personally... It‘s able to transport me to a time I couldn’t live in myself. It feels real and immersive in ways other games still can’t achieve today.
Are we the same person? :tearsofjoy: Just kidding 👊

Oi, you young ones are making me feel old lol. 33 over here. Enjoy those youthful years and live life to the fullest.

Back