The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Oh absolutely, I completely agree. I still find the whole "just play Yakuza instead, it's better" thing bizarre. There's superficial comparisons that can be made between the series, but otherwise, the two games are largely very different from one another. There's room for both series to exist and provide different experiences.
I've only played and beaten Kiwami 1 so far. I now can confirm anyone that claims they are the same has not put the time into both series, if they've even played 1 of them. Claiming Yakuza does everything better is complete ignorance.

I've only played and beaten Kiwami 1 so far. I now can confirm anyone that claims they are the same has not put the time into both series, if they've even played 1 of them. Claiming Yakuza does everything better is complete ignorance.

Agreed and I love Yakuza. I didn’t really get into the first two games but from Yakuza 3, I was hooked and have played all the mainline games. They don’t feel the same to play as Shenmue and I love them for different reasons.

I always say people who like games like Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon will more likely like Shenmue than people who like Yakuza lol

If we're thinking about the same review he was harsh but in absolute fairness in his closing paragraphs he did say if you're a fan of Shenmue then it's a 4.5 out of 5, but if a gamer never played, to try the HD remasters first to see if its their jam. I would've liked it if that was hinted on in his earlier paragraphs however.

No, that's just stupid.

My Judas Priest Firepower review:

"If you're a fan of Judas Priest, it's a 4.5/5. Otherwise, if you have no taste, it's a 2/5"

My Wrestlemania X7 review:

"If you're a fan of wrestling and WWE in particular, it's a 4.5/5. Otherwise, if you hate wrestling avoid this one"

My Uncharted 4 review:

"If you're a fan of Uncharted it's a 4.5/5. But if not, it's a 2/5."

Agreed and I love Yakuza. I didn’t really get into the first two games but from Yakuza 3, I was hooked and have played all the mainline games. They don’t feel the same to play as Shenmue and I love them for different reasons.

I always say people who like games like Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon will more likely like Shenmue than people who like Yakuza lol
Oh I loved Kiwami. Got the physical collector edition of 3-5 preordered. Probably will get 0 and Kiwami 2 soon. I just cant offer Yakuza as a substitute for Shenmue.

Oh absolutely, I completely agree. I still find the whole "just play Yakuza instead, it's better" thing bizarre. There's superficial comparisons that can be made between the series, but otherwise, the two games are largely very different from one another. There's room for both series to exist and provide different experiences.

No, that's just stupid.

My Judas Priest Firepower review:

"If you're a fan of Judas Priest, it's a 4.5/5. Otherwise, if you have no taste, it's a 2/5"

My Wrestlemania X7 review:

"If you're a fan of wrestling and WWE in particular, it's a 4.5/5. Otherwise, if you hate wrestling avoid this one"

My Uncharted 4 review:

"If you're a fan of Uncharted it's a 4.5/5. But if not, it's a 2/5."

That's fair too.

Btw totally agree with your Yakuza and Shenmue point. I don't understand why these two need to be pitted against one another as I always felt they more like companion pieces than replicas of each other.

Oh I loved Kiwami. Got the physical collector edition of 3-5 preordered. Probably will get 0 and Kiwami 2 soon. I just cant offer Yakuza as a substitute for Shenmue.

Kiwami is actually next on my list. I meant I didn’t like Yakuza 1 and 2 for the PS2 as much. I enjoyed them, but didn’t fall in love with them.

Oh Jesus, if the make this the main review on IGN then the Death Stranding fanboys will have a conniption fit.
I feel kind of bad for IGN getting so much shit over their DS review when it seems like everyone else at the office loved the game and it was basically that 1 guy that reviewed it being critical. Admittedly after playing the game I do find that review to be....pretty misguided but not entirely without reason, it felt like they were rushing exclusively through the story not taking their time with it which I can only imagine is frustrating since the game is so built around building up safer passages of travel through roads and ziplines and so on. Like thats a game where if you dont rush it can be incredible, but if you rush and only do the story missions I can see being infuriating.

I really hope shenmue 3 doesnt get reviewed like that cause I think its in the exact same boat, you take your time with the game you get this super packed game with so much small and fun detail and things to do, I love doing small bits of training and side content in between story beats, but if you rush and only do story trying to get to the end as fast as possible to do a review in time I can see the game being tedious. Thankfully IGN sounds like they are taking their time with it.

Btw totally agree with your Yakuza and Shenmue point. I don't understand why these two need to be pitted against one another as I always felt they more like companion pieces than replicas of each other.
Yakuza is my favorite franchise ever, I have never thought of it as even an opportunity of more shenmue, what I love about yakuza isnt present in shenmue and what I love about shenmue isnt present in yakuza. Are there things I'd like to see from one franchise in the other, yeah sometimes like I would love if shenmue had the dynamic intros some boss fights from yakuza have but its only small shit like that. I wouldnt actually want either to play like the other.

If you loved Kiwami wow you will love 0. I personally have a big soft spot for 6 as well. There's actually a part of the game that reminds me a lot of Shenmue in terms of the setting and developing character relationships. It doesn't play like Shenmue either just reminds me of it.

If you loved Kiwami wow you will love 0. I personally have a big soft spot for 6 as well. There's actually a part of the game that reminds me a lot of Shenmue in terms of the setting and developing character relationships.
6 is just a chill ass game, like I wont deny people's issues with it and how its got one of the messiest finales in the whole franchise with Iwami maybe being the worst villain the franchise ever had, but I adore its cast and more laid back atmosphere, that seaside town is so memorable. Being shenmue like I can kind of see glimpses but not much. I'd say the start of 3 with the orphanage is closer to shenmue like cause it prides itself far more on the mundane.

I agree with this I remember way back when playing yakuza 1 when it came out as it was touted as a spiritual successor to shenmue. I went into it with that mindset and hated it.

I got back into yakuza in later years and love it as it’s own franchise. I really don’t get why people compare it to shenmue.

Here we are in the Shenmue 3 review thread and already more than one page
is just about Yakuza again. Lets talk about something new next,
like for example the Shenmue of the wild west - Red Dead Redemption 2.

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u4.jpg

Here we are in the Shenmue 3 review thread and already more than one page
is just about Yakuza again. Lets talk about something new next,
like for example the Shenmue of the wild west - Red Dead Redemption 2.

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1u4.jpg
we can talk about shenmue twin peaks edition too, deadly premonition 2 hype.

6 is just a chill ass game, like I wont deny people's issues with it and how its got one of the messiest finales in the whole franchise with Iwami maybe being the worst villain the franchise ever had, but I adore its cast and more laid back atmosphere, that seaside town is so memorable. Being shenmue like I can kind of see glimpses but not much. I'd say the start of 3 with the orphanage is closer to shenmue like cause it prides itself far more on the mundane.

Yeah explains why I loved the start of Yakuza 3 a lot. I remember like the first 3/4 hours of that game involving helping the orphans and seeing Kazuma out of the crime world for a bit was really refreshing. It did feel a bit like Shenmue.

Yeah wait shit it was fighting vipers in judgement not viruta fighter, crap I think im a fake fan
To just clarify the "what's in where" question:

Yakuza 5:
Virtua Fighter 2
Taiko Drum Master
A shoot em up that I forget the name of (original game made for Yakuza 5, not a port or anything)

Yakuza 0:
Space Harrier
Super Hang On
Outrun
Fantasy Zone

Yakuza 6:
All four Yakuza 0 games
Virtua Fighter 5 FS
Puyo Puyo

Fist of the North Star:
Space Harrier
Super Hang On
Outrun
Hokuto no Ken (aka FOTNS for the Sega Master System)

Yakuza Kiwami 2:
Virtua Fighter 2
Toylets (lol)
Virtual On

Judge Eyes:
Space Harrier
Virtua Fighter 5 FS
Puyo Puyo
Fighting Vipers
Motor Raid (first time its ever been ported to a home console)
Fantasy Zone
Kamuro Of the Dead (original game for JE, basically a cross between HOTD/Virtua Cop and Yakuza Dead Souls)

Kiwami basically had no notable arcade games (well, Mesuking if you like that sort of thing), Yakuza 7 looks to basically have everything that 6 and 0 had + Virtua Fighter 2. No idea if more will be revealed later.

Anyway, back on topic for Shenmue reviews... I have no actual comments. I ignore reviews, I don't read them for games I like especially Shenmue as they'll only annoy me. I do look forward to EZA's review though.

Back