The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

It's updated. It's sitting at 70 now.

72 now as LaPS4's review was added!

Things are shaping up. I don't think we have to worry about it going too low now.

72 now as LaPS4's review was added!

Things are shaping up. I don't think we have to worry about it going too low now.

Well, unhappily the score from Gamekult, those narcissistic pricks, will lower the general score.

I'm sad Eurogamer did not give a score...

Well, unhappily the score from Gamekult, those narcissistic pricks, will lower the general score.

I'm sad Eurogamer did not give a score...

GameXplain, who also don't give scores anymore, made an impressions video and they seem to love it. Unfortunately when their review goes live it won't count. :(

Giant Bomb will also lower the score. They hate Shenmue with a passion. They gave previous games a 2/5. Chances are the ywill give 3 an 1/5.

My issue with with the "Yakuza/RDR2 did it better" remarks is that there is no elaboration there, they just say it nonchalantly but never explain "how". I would honestly love to see how they reached these conclusions, in order to better understand the criticism that is usually levelled against this series.

But not a single one who uttered these remarks has been able to elaborate on them.

Like I understand if you enjoy Yakuza's combat/controls/story/world more, but saying Shenmue is 'proto-Yakuza' when Yakuza's "Shenmue-like" features are factually, objectively still less developed and nuanced than Shenmue is just a bold faced lie, and more Shenmue fans should be calling this lie out because it has become the truth amongst people who never experienced Shenmue

That's second-hand opinion 101. Any "Yakuza is a better game" comparison is a dead giveaway they haven't played Shenmue and maybe not even Yakuza :ROFLMAO:

That's second-hand opinion 101. Any "Yakuza is a better game" comparison is a dead giveaway they haven't played Shenmue and maybe not even Yakuza :ROFLMAO:

Just wanted to chime in and say this. Playing Shenmue 3 just re-confirmed something for me: the Yakuza games don’t scratch my Shenmue Itch at all. I like the Yakuza games a lot and Judgment was stellar to me. I won’t go into detail, but these series are just way too different for one to fill the void of the other. There’s nothing like Shenmue and even though it has its flaws (a lot of them), Shenmue 3 is a damn masterpiece and my favorite game of the year.

Happy to see it’s reviewing better than I expected so far.

Happy to see it’s reviewing better than I expected so far.

Yeah hopefully it continues. Not gonna lie but when the first few waves of pretty putrid reviews came through, it really made me wonder if I just had very antiquated views on gameplay since I enjoyed Shenmue 3 so much. Not like it would affect my enjoyment or make me feel embarrassed if it gets bad reviews from here on out but it amuses me to think I have an old man's taste or something.

As I wrote in the other thread; a review should be absolutely free of bias and, "what you like," (which doesn't happen, I know); just because opinionated reviews rate a certain way, doesn't mean YOU have bad taste in, "bad games."

You're good, Sriracha (y)

The only 'negative' review that's kind of pissed me off is that trash from the gamer.com (never heard of it). It was the only review that seemed aggressively against the idea of Shenmue or the idea people might like Shenmue.

As I wrote in the other thread; a review should be absolutely free of bias and, "what you like," (which doesn't happen, I know); just because opinionated reviews rate a certain way, doesn't mean YOU have bad taste in, "bad games."

You're good, Sriracha (y)

I don't know man I quite enjoyed the bug-ridden filth that was Friday the 13th. Lol.

The only 'negative' review that's kind of pissed me off is that trash from the gamer.com (never heard of it). It was the only review that seemed aggressively against the idea of Shenmue or the idea people might like Shenmue.

If we're thinking about the same review he was harsh but in absolute fairness in his closing paragraphs he did say if you're a fan of Shenmue then it's a 4.5 out of 5, but if a gamer never played, to try the HD remasters first to see if its their jam. I would've liked it if that was hinted on in his earlier paragraphs however.

The two reviews that may bring the score down will be GiantBomb and USGamer. Hopefully the rest balances it out

Just wanted to chime in and say this. Playing Shenmue 3 just re-confirmed something for me: the Yakuza games don’t scratch my Shenmue Itch at all. I like the Yakuza games a lot and Judgment was stellar to me.

Oh absolutely, I completely agree. I still find the whole "just play Yakuza instead, it's better" thing bizarre. There's superficial comparisons that can be made between the series, but otherwise, the two games are largely very different from one another. There's room for both series to exist and provide different experiences.

Back