The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

To just clarify the "what's in where" question:

Yakuza 5:
A shoot em up that I forget the name of (original game made for Yakuza 5, not a port or anything)

(well, Mesuking if you like that sort of thing),

Boxcellios. Its sequel ended up in another title.

I LOVE Mushi King! When I went to Joypolis, I spent a good hour just playing against the computer; such a fun and refreshing take on Janken! :D

The biggest german website and print magazine Gamestar just released a special video for Shenmue 3.
Its pretty much called "Shenmue 3, a game that we cant compare to any modern game"

They are talking about how they were a bit afraid of the whole project because of all the drama stuff
and they received the review copy pretty late, so they thought the signs looked pretty bad and they were very cautious
but now that they were able to play it, they like it very much.

Its like a short status report because the final review isnt ready yet.
The tester played it for about 12 hours now and he thinks its pretty good. He is saying that Shenmue 3
is probably exactly the game fans of the orignals wanted and even he is really surprised how good Shenmue 3 is.

Hes also saying that if you want to look at it completely neutral, than yes, a lof of the mechanics, tasks, designs and so on
can feel a bit oldschool but on the other hand thats probably what fans expected and wanted
so how can it be a bad thing. The game exists because of these fans. Its the classic Shenmue with better graphics.
He cant really explain whats the fascination behind it but it has this cozy feeling like home
and he cant wait to play more of it. The real final review will be online by the end of the week.

The biggest german website and print magazine Gamestar just released a special video for Shenmue 3.
Its pretty much called "Shenmue 3, a game that we cant compare to any modern game"

They are talking about how they were a bit afraid of the whole project because of all the drama stuff
and they received the review copy pretty late, so they thought the signs looked pretty bad and they were very cautious
but now that they were able to play it, they like it very much.

Its like a short status report because the final review isnt ready yet.
The tester played it for about 12 hours now and he thinks its pretty good. He is saying that Shenmue 3
is probably exactly the game fans of the orignals wanted and even he is really surprised how good Shenmue 3 is.

Hes also saying that if you want to look at it completely neutral, than yes, a lof of the mechanics, tasks, designs and so on
can feel a bit oldschool but on the other hand thats probably what fans expected and wanted
so how can it be a bad thing. The game exists because of these fans. Its the classic Shenmue with better graphics.
He cant really explain whats the fascination behind it but it has this cozy feeling like home
and he cant wait to play more of it. The real final review will be online by the end of the week.

But that's impossible! Someone new to the series can't enjoy 3!!!!
*Universe implodes*

Also...Taiko Drum Master is in the Yakuza series? Awesome!

Pretty much what I expected from Polygon; they have a very negative review:

"Combat in Shenmue 3 is also essentially unchanged from previous games in the series, despite the increased resolution and frame rate. "
"It’s that dependency on the original games that makes Shenmue 3 such a disappointment."
"back in the day. But opening 30 drawers in 2019, while Ryo repeats the same few lines about not finding anything, feels disrespectful of my time. "

Polygon please

"Combat in Shenmue 3 is also essentially unchanged from previous games in the series, despite the increased resolution and frame rate. "

Polygon please

Welp this review has no merit. They didnt even play the 1st hour.

Very glad Heather Alexandria reviewed for Kotaku; she's a great Shenmue and Dreamcast fan there!

Also, she did a short stream on twitch for an hour like she did with HD. Gotta catchup with so much online while i marathon the game incessantly haha.

"It’s that dependency on the original games that makes Shenmue 3 such a disappointment."
"back in the day. But opening 30 drawers in 2019, while Ryo repeats the same few lines about not finding anything, feels disrespectful of my time. "

Polygon please
Fuck off it's a whole new system. Where do they find this shite?

That Polygon review reads like someone who didn't play much of the game. It's very light on detail. Their example of 'bad dialogue' literally comes from the first five minutes of the game. Are there really that many glitches (people floating in the air, sitting on nonexistent chairs?)???

Also, laughable to complain about the quest design being inferior to the braindead GO HERE *HUGE FLASHING LIGHT ON MAP* AND THEN GO HERE *HUGE FLASHING LIGHT ON MAP* plague.

I'm gonna have an aneurysm if I keep trying to defend this game against shitty reviewers so I might as well just stop caring.

"Investigations involve talking to basically every person I see until someone happens to know the information needed to proceed, which gives the entire experience the feel of a wild goose chase. ... The trick is just to go everywhere, and talk to everyone, until I find a crime scene. "

Trash tier review.

and other stuff like EGS.

Sorry for generalizing again but the only people that are still complaining about Shenmue 3's Epic deal thing (at least from what I'm seeing outside this forum) are quite obviously only using Shen 3 as a vessel to complain about MUH EVIL KICKSTARTER and MUH EPIC EXCLUSIVE. Their posts don't really read like someone who cared at all for the game, as in they would probably read exactly the same if Shenmue 3 was actually Puzz Loop 3 or whatever random game you can think of.

Back