The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Sorry for generalizing again but the only people that are still complaining about Shenmue 3's Epic deal thing (at least from what I'm seeing outside this forum) are quite obviously only using Shen 3 as a vessel to complain about MUH EVIL KICKSTARTER and MUH EPIC EXCLUSIVE. Their posts don't really read like someone who cared at all for the game, as in they would probably read exactly the same if Shenmue 3 was actually Puzz Loop 3 or whatever random game you can think of.

Yeah agreed; as I mentioned in that post: ''many of those miserable people you mention didn’t even back the game, they’re just angry because they feel they have to be''. They are the ones who have been calling Shenmue 3 a scam and bombing the Metacritic user scores and they probably haven't/won't play it.

I think that is the case. I have noticed the same handful of people popping up in every negative Shenmue 3 Reseetera thread, and I can't recall ever seeing them participate in a normal Shenmue 3 discussion. All they want to discuss is EGS or the Kickstarter or the slipcase looking bad.

Didn't polygon fold...? Twice?? I remember the original back in the day was fairly well respected.

Hey guys does this review get added to the total in Metacritic? It's a 5/5

Hey guys does this review get added to the total in Metacritic? It's a 5/5

Me and and another user were talking about this in another thread, or maybe this one earlier I dont know i feel like theres multiple review threads, I dont think these guys count, they seem pretty sketchy and as far as I know they havent shown up on metacritic before so I dont think they ever tried to get signed up for it.

I could be wrong though, the author is listed at the bottom so someone could reach out to here if they want to know more.

Not sure if these have been posted. Hobby Consolas and LAPS4 both give Shenmue 3 8/10.

"Investigations involve talking to basically every person I see until someone happens to know the information needed to proceed, which gives the entire experience the feel of a wild goose chase. ... The trick is just to go everywhere, and talk to everyone, until I find a crime scene. "
Trash tier review.

WOAH, THEY MEAN TO TELL ME THAT IT PLAYS LIKE AN ADVENTURE GAME!?!? WHY WOULD SHENMUE EVER DO SUCH A THING!?

Pretty much what I expected from Polygon; they have a very negative review:

Good old Polygon...they never cease to disappoint with their BS. (Sorry, I don't like Polygon...Polygon is full of up its own ass punk writers who tried to tell me that Gone Home was super important to gaming...sorry to those that like Gone Home...I just think it's overrated pandering crap.)

Also their complaint about the dialog? It ain't that fucking bad! Yeah, it's somewhat stilted but it's not THAT bad as they describe it.

But honestly, I'm playing it with the Japanese dub so I'm not noticing it as much.

But crime scenes are no less methodical, and they’re certainly no more enjoyable. I’m usually stuck in a room with dozens of interactive objects to slowly open, look through, and close again, searching for clues. It’s hard to know where to start, but it doesn’t seem to matter. The best way to continue to move ahead is to check literally every single possible option for information, which is quite the chore.

Oh you mean like the adventure game it was always trying to be?

Also, didn't Gone Home have you do this for the bulk of its gameplay? Gone Home was essentially a basic ass 90's adventure game dripping with 90's nostalgia...your website called it one of the most important games of the generation. How can it be that one stagnated adventure game from the past that is preying on your nostalgia is revolutionary and a visionary genius of the generation, while another adventure game is an antiquated relic exploiting your nostalgia and is best left to the 90's?

Amazing how something can be new and bold when they want it to be....but that same thing can be antiquated when they also want it to be.

Last edited:
Also their complaint about the dialog? It ain't that fucking bad! Yeah, it's somewhat stilted but it's not THAT bad as they describe it.
Polygon is just trolling at this point. The clunky dialogue has always been part of Shenmue's charm. It's astonishing that 18 years later Ys Net managed to recreate the weird cadance that makes the Shenmue english dub so unique and memorable. It just wouldn't feel like Shenmue if it sounded like a modern game.

Pretty much what I expected from Polygon; they have a very negative review:

Trying to log on their shitty site with my Twitter to comment the fact they haven't played the game much if they think the battle system is essentially the same. But I can't log on. It just says "Authenticating" and nothing happens. Could someone please log on to post that? Maybe readers can see that to see that this is a bogus review.

Polygon Review said:
The poor translation and often impenetrable dialogue combine to give the entire game a sense of jankiness, and comes across as a lack of care and polish. And this is long before I’m introduced to characters that seem locked into harmful — not to mention ridiculously outdated — stereotypes.

Ahhh, it's one of these reviews.

It does make some fair points, and it's clear that it just didn't connect with that reviewer - which is fine. They're entitled to their opinion...

...Even if their opinion is totally wrong (kidding!)

Can someone tell me why people trash a game they care nothing about? I seriously have better things to do with my time. I’ll never understand why people waste so much energy on trashing something they have no stake in.

I care nothing about COD, Fortnite, Gears but those can exist for the people who like them. I certainly want those companies to keep making them if it brings joy.

It’s like they’re 14 years old.

Just let a video game exist for someone whose life is enriched by it.

Can someone tell me why people trash a game they care nothing about? I seriously have better things to do with my time. I’ll never understand why people waste so much energy on trashing something they have no stake in.

I care nothing about COD, Fortnite, Gears but those can exist for the people who like them. I certainly want those companies to keep making them if it brings joy.

Apparently it's cool to hate things.

Negativity does bring you clicks. Just look at that VICE article from when after Shenmue 3 was originally announced, the whole point of which was to argue the originals weren't very good. Their business model relies on it.

You answered your own question. They’re either young or have the online presence/mentality of someone who is young and dumb :D But it’s also because they’ve been conditioned that hating things is “cool.”

I think many see it as cool to be an overly cynical douche online.

I mean there are games I don’t like. I don’t like Gone Home, but I don’t feel the need to go on every video related to it and trash it just because.

Some people are just sad hateful little assholes online.

Last edited:
This is a fairly positive review from gameranx, with his 'before you buy' series. This guy has a major channel that can get anywhere from 200k to 1m+ views on his videos. Overall, while he can't recommend Shenmue 3 to newcomers he still gives a great overview of the game. This video's wide reach might just entice some people to buy Shenmue 3 all the same.

Back