The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Does EasyAllies give scores? If so, I expect a nice bump from them. I also expect Famitsu to give it the equivalent of 75 or so. IGN US should also give it 7+. With those three, we might reach like 75 metacritic. Then Giantbomb comes and gives it a 2/10 to ruin our days lol.
They do score and checking RDR2 they appear in Metacritic

Hopefully he does the review for Edge or PC gamer. He’s been a fan since the start.

Based on the fact he’s actually yknow playing the game not in a rush I think he most likely will give it a solid score.

I predict an 8 most likely

I hope you're right! This week has been very difficult for me to focus on anything because I'm worried about Shenmue reviews haha.

I just want everything works well, then we can have Shenmue 4!

I hope you're right! This week has been very difficult for me to focus on anything because I'm worried about Shenmue reviews haha.

I just want everything to work well, then we can have Shenmue 4!

I’m actually impressed Giant Bomb showed some restraint. Gerstmann is a jerk but he’s also running a serious shop.

I’m actually impressed Giant Bomb showed some restraint. Gerstmann is a jerk but he’s also running a serious shop.

I think it’s all for comic effect more than anything. He knows it gets a reaction good and bad from fans and non fans alike. I mean, he certainly doesn’t think much of the franchise, but he bigs it up for effect.

But there have been moments where he has talked about it seriously. And he usually has said the same things about it. That he saw it as a bunch of novel ideas that didn’t really come together.

The whole ”it’s a forklift simulator for assholes” is just him looking for a reaction.

Last edited:
German Gamepro gives 76 / 100 for the PS4 version.
"The final released game is exactly the game it wanted to be and the game fans wanted
and thats why it will not be for everyone"

"The mechanics in Shenmue 3 are oldschool, its a game for people with a lot of time and patience.
It makes a huge difference if you know the old games because you will have different expectations.
Yu Suzuki and his team created something very unique, it truly has the special Shenmue feeling
with all the positives and negatives. For one group of people this will be everything they ever wanted,
for the other group of people this will be just a oldschool budget game."

Presentation:
+ idyllic areas, detailed rooms, soundtrack
- animations, stuttering, pop ups

Game design:
+ slow but interesting "detective game", clever fighting system, nice comfort mechanics
- overall very oldschool game design, annoying stamina system

Game balance:
+ four difficulty levels, quick save without restrictions, good balance between exploring, fighting and other things
- some of the story elements feel stretched, QTE timing can feel a bit harsh

Story / atmosphere:
+ classic Shenmue feeling, nice mix / contrast of different areas, a living world, interesting story
- rough dialogues

Complexity:
+ At least 25 hours of content, two huge areas, training and minigames, a lot to explore
- not a lot of side missions

76 / 100

Gertsman is absolutely doing a persona for comedic effect, like he is negative and pretty critical but GiantBomb is on the more entertainer side of the spectrum. I dont think its fair at all to call him a jerk.

I honestly believe the fact they hated Death Stranding so much is a big benefit to Shenmue.

"Could have been worse. Could have been Death Stranding" :ROFLMAO:

I'm not shitting on DS either, but yeah wow they really fucking hated that.

Anyway. Few more reviews coming . Mainly 7's which I think is great. I'm still waiting on that US IGN review because like it or not they drive sales.

Back