Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I like the wood chopping more than I expected to. I thought the dude yelling stuff constantly would annoy me but I’m too focused on chopping to care. They could stand to shy away from so much repetition, though. Not everyone wants to hear the same dialogue and words constantly.

I like the wood chopping more than I expected to. I thought the dude yelling stuff constantly would annoy me but I’m too focused on chopping to care. They could stand to shy away from so much repetition, though. Not everyone wants to hear the same dialogue and words constantly.
I am liking it a lot but I still don't know how to maximize it, so far only 3-4 excellents and I don't know how do I achieve them

I have made serious bank with gambling tickets, but I have no damn idea what I should trade this stuff in for to turn that into actual money.

Exchange shop -> Blue Gems --> Pawn Shop --> Money. Blue gems were pretty good value I found. Not sure what the higest valued item in the exchange shop is though.

Exchange shop -> Blue Gems --> Pawn Shop --> Money. Blue gems were pretty good value I found. Not sure what the higest valued item in the exchange shop is though.
Thanks, time to go cash in and then cash out with some well earned garlic stockpile.

speaking of, just the items and stuff in general but like, what do half these items even do, like these vases and what not?

I guess I have to ask because I've never really asked before.

After watching the Giant Bomb quick look and reading some reviews. The impression I get is there are those who like it but in a completely ironic or Tommy Wiseau way.

I assume most of us here do genuinely love Shenmue for what it strives to be and its "give no fucks" attitude about being what it is.

But I have to ask.

Is there anyone here who does like it ironically or in a "So bad, it's good" kind of way?

I'm not judging you if you do btw, but I am genuinely curious if there are any people here who like it in that way?

I admit that I prefer the Japanese dub all the way, but I do also like the English dub on the same level that I enjoy English dubbed Kung Fu movies or English dubbed Godzilla movies.

Anyways, curious if anyone here likes it in an ironic sense?

Also, do you think Yu Suzuki is aware about how it is received by those who do like it in an ironic fashion?

Last edited:
When you reach niaowu you get really big lucky hit, also some cool jackets that are quite expensive (in the 100k mark).
I really don't know what to do except grind a lot
Reviewers are just morons, they said the same about deadly premonition, though deadly premonition has one of the best (and most entertaining) stories in games reccently.
Believe me if Ryo was a lesbian in search of the dragon dildo it would be considered the most revolutionary game of the history.

I guess I have to ask because I've never really asked before.

After watching the Giant Bomb quick look and reading some reviews. The impression I get is there are those who like it but in a completely ironic or Tommy Wiseau way.

I assume most of us here do genuinely love Shenmue for what it strives to be and its "give no fucks" attitude about being what it is.

But I have to ask.

Is anyone here who does like it Ironically or in a "So bad, it's good" kind of way?

I'm not judging you if do but I am genuinely curious if there are any people here who like it in that way?

I admit that I prefer the Japanese dub all the way, but I do also like the English dub on the same level that I enjoy English dubbed Kung Fu movies or English dubbed Godzilla movies.

Also, do you think Yu Suzuki is aware about how it is received by those who do like it in an ironic fashion?
Imagine if they yknow had just played it in Japanese. I can’t believe all these reviewers don’t know you can change the language.

When you reach niaowu you get really big lucky hit, also some cool jackets that are quite expensive (in the 100k mark).
I really don't know what to do except grind a lot

Reviewers are just morons, they said the same about deadly premonition, though deadly premonition has one of the best (and most entertaining) stories in games reccently.
Believe me if Ryo was a lesbian in search of the dragon dildo it would be considered the most revolutionary game of the history.
It would’ve been Polygon’s GOTG.

I suck at Wood Chopping. Can't seem to consistently hit "Very Good" let alone "Excellent" chops. Will continue trying though herb collecting makes tons more money for far less effort!
I'm focusing on training at the moment, wanna get Ryo a little stronger as I get used to the knew combat system (lack of button dodge like 1 and 2 is really throwing me off)

I still haven’t played Deadly Premonition. I really should rectify that one day.

I don’t disagree. If the game featured a pandering political message that agreed with their politics they’d praise it to the moon and back. See half the junk indie games they peddle.

As for me? I’ve always loved it unapologetically. I love that Yu Suzuki has the balls to do things his way. There is literally no other game like this game. Playing III is a reminder that even though I love Yakuza, it could never fully scratch that itch. I love the fact that he has the quiet confidence to do things his way and create something that is always striving.

Last edited:
Thing about the kickstarter is that they kept their promise on making sure its a Shenmue game. Now granted for mainstream media that was never going to go down well but for me, someone wanting another Shenmue game this has been nothing but excellent news. It has the same trappings of the previous two - that unbeatable atmosphere, amazing music, larger than life characters, a nice focus on martial arts and training (most other games jump straight to the action, I actually like the learning etc. that the game wastes no time in introducing), oh and the weird jobs you can do in each game that are bizarrely addictive (well, maybe not crate carrying in 2, that never really varied and got boring quick).

I was hoping to get Deadly Premonition Origins in the post today for Switch, but unfortunately it didn't come. I have it on the PS3, but never completed it. I enjoyed the amount I played.

Thing about the kickstarter is that they kept their promise on making sure its a Shenmue game. Now granted for mainstream media that was never going to go down well but for me, someone wanting another Shenmue game this has been nothing but excellent news. It has the same trappings of the previous two - that unbeatable atmosphere, amazing music, larger than life characters, a nice focus on martial arts and training (most other games jump straight to the action, I actually like the learning etc. that the game wastes no time in introducing), oh and the weird jobs you can do in each game that are bizarrely addictive (well, maybe not crate carrying in 2, that never really varied and got boring quick).

As I said over in the spoiler forum. When you think about it. This whole series has been Ryo re-tracing his fathers steps and piecing the puzzle together in hunt for Lan Di. The fact that this game focuses so much on training (at least so far in Bailu) is actually novel when you realise it’s the same place his Dad trained as a young man. You are literally on the same soil training in the same place as your father did. To the point where everyone confuses you for Iwao. Just one step further retracing his steps in this long epic quest.

It’s kind of a neat idea that I don’t think I’ve ever seen conveyed in a game before. Hence my love for Shenmue. There’s always been a method to the madness and I love that method. People can laugh at its debatable cruddy English voice acting, its weird oddities and what not, but I totally love what it’s striving to do. It’s really striving to build a world and a lore.

Last edited:
I'm still in the first few hours of the game. Can't say I'm a fan of running depleting your stamina, I'm so broke as it is because I keep wasting what little wood-chopping funds I earn on trying to get that damn white lure. I have to build up some cash and stock up on food, but I also want to get the story progressing a bit. I'm usually walking very slowly by the end of the day because I don't have HP or cash. However I am enjoying the interconnected-ness of the different gameplay elements that Suzuki has been touting. I also finally have the "Panda" area opened up to me, so I think between the pawnshop and fishing (which I haven't tried yet) I'll have more means to earn some cash. Passing the downtime in S3 is much easier and has much more purpose than the first two games.

The combat I'm still not used to, but I do like that you can train, level up, and some of your moves can level up as well. It is a bit frustrating that we now have 3 different games in the same series that have a lot of the same moves, but different inputs in all 3 games, haha. I am trying to understand if there is any rhyme or reason to the button commands for certain moves. It's hard enough that I still am not - and never will be - accustomed to the fact that PS uses symbols and not A B X Y.

I am NOT a fan of how jumpy the cuts during conversations are...what I really don't understand is that the same person can be saying two sentences in a row and they'll be a cut when the subtitles switch over to a new line. That is my biggest gripe and I wish that was a bit smoother. When an actual cut scene is triggered, everything is fine. I did notice last night that there weren't as many cuts in one of my evening conversations with Shenhua, where she'd say more than one line without a jump in between... I am wondering if they somehow improved this as the game goes on but just didn't clean up the first few hours of play?

Everything else I'm rather enjoying but I'm eager for the story to pick up - just haven't had the time to really dive in yet. I really, really liked two parts I played last night (very minor spoilers, not plot related):

The Hide and Seek game was a very Shenmue-esque plot related mini game. Reminded me of all the little gameplay elements they added in Shenmue 2 like chopping the rock, catching leaves, etc. that were tied to the main story...

and "Face Off" with Shenhua had me laughing out loud. I just thought that was such a great touch.

Is there any tracker on how much time you've played so far?

I fucking love this game and have wasted entire days chopping wood and flexing at the Dojo.

Even as a huge fan, I can conceed that Day 1 is a bit messy. Lots of oddly stitched together cutscenes, walled off aread, serious stamina depletion, among others. However once you get to Day 2 and are let off the leash to do as you please, I've been absolutely hooked.

Im about 6 hours in and finally got to the first arcade last night. QTE title was always my favourite and I'm thrilled with how it's presented here. There's some absolute arsehole fake-outs to get you to press the wrong button. The detail on the arcade machines is incredible, I'm assuming Kid Nocon did them ,and he's done an incredible job. The wear and tear on the punchpads, the cracked leather, the snappy animations. Looks great. Then you've got by contrast the newer, glossy whack a mole which is good fun too. Ran out of time to play the others but looking forward to that tonight.

Back