The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Just going to put this out there: I think the English voice acting was a mistake. The Japanese voice acting is fantastic and should be the only option, English voice acting only hurt this game and has been mentioned in every negative review I read. Japanese voice acting never hurt the Yakuza series (actually the opposite, it's expensive american dub for the first game almost killed the series in America).

Mind you, one could argue it's the reviewers fault for playing in English, I certainly would.

Anyone remember the IGN Alien Isolation review. What was it a 5.6 or 5.8. They were laughed right out of town on that score. To be fair, most Adults ( no weans or teenagers ) don't give a shit what IGN have to say about anything these days. They didn't like it ( to slow like death stranding 6.8 ) that's just the way it is. Should they hold more weight than others, fuck no. Every score should be equal, but it is what it is. I'm still holding out for a 70 meta at the bare minimum because that's what I think it deserves., even though I'd give it an 8 ( currently haven't finished yet so could change ). Ease up, guys, it's still looking good despite what certain folk on here ( you know who you are ) might think otherwise.

Outside of like pushsquare and easyallies which dont have less weight on the MC than others, who else likes it? I know the pc gamer guy is and they probably have a pretty heavy weight, but outside of them I dont think theres any guaranteed good reviews. Like gamespot especially is super up in the air.

I mean I feel like we are focusing on it staying over a 70, but like low 70 is considered a not good score too for an mc..
but like low 70 is considered a not good score too for an mc..
Says who? Plenty of fantastic games have came out with that final score and done well commercially.

but like low 70 is considered a not good score too for an mc..
Says who? Plenty of fantastic games have came out with that final score and done well commercially.
Alot of people would just look the other way around that score, metacritic themselves registers it as average too and gives it an ugly yellow color that people instinctively look over.

Quick check and it was the PC version IGN reviewed so it's not impacted the PS4 score
It should still register as a review for both platforms, as in its fucking dumb that MC seperates them by platform, like it makes sense when its something like FFXV which releases at a far later date with new features for its pc release, but when its a simultaneous release it makes no sense its still reviewing the same game.

one more reason I like opencritic way more. Granted shnemue 3 looks far worse on that site than MC right now cause of the how many reccomend aspect

Last edited:
Just going to put this out there: I think the English voice acting was a mistake. The Japanese voice acting is fantastic and should be the only option, English voice acting only hurt this game and has been mentioned in every negative review I read. Japanese voice acting never hurt the Yakuza series (actually the opposite, it's expensive american dub for the first game almost killed the series in America).

Mind you, one could argue it's the reviewers fault for playing in English, I certainly would.

I think 98+% of the audience will be playing in English, so that's how reviewers should play. This is the only game series where I prefer to play in Japanese, and that's entirely due to the poor English dub. I DO wish that reviewers would at least mention or recommend that players have the option to switch the VO to Japanese, but all in all the poor English VO needs to be reflected in the review.

I would probably agree that after hearing the end result it would have been better to stick with the Japanese dub for all regions. However, a few things to consider are that 1) Shenmue 1 and 2 were already released with an English dub, so there's some expectation there for 3, and 2) Japanese only VO could make it more difficult to bring in new fans. Not everyone enjoys reading subtitles when they play games.

A few people have speculated that the poor English dubbing was intentional, and if that's true then I'll be pretty pissed off about that. I don't want this series to become a mockery of itself. That, and it sets the tone for the entire presentation of the game.

They fucked up the dub to be frank, like the way they chose to transalte it was bafflingly stupid and they definitely were trying to replicate an ironically bad kind of quality for the acting that isnt charming at all, this game deserved better and especially with how much higher quality even dubs have gotten in the past decade its downright unacceptable its this bad.

I think 98+% of the audience will be playing in English, so that's how reviewers should play. This is the only game series where I prefer to play in Japanese, and that's entirely due to the poor English dub. I DO wish that reviewers would at least mention or recommend that players have the option to switch the VO to Japanese, but all in all the poor English VO needs to be reflected in the review.

I would probably agree that after hearing the end result it would have been better to stick with the Japanese dub for all regions. However, a few things to consider are that 1) Shenmue 1 and 2 were already released with an English dub, so there's some expectation there for 3, and 2) Japanese only VO could make it more difficult to bring in new fans. Not everyone enjoys reading subtitles when they play games.

A few people have speculated that the poor English dubbing was intentional, and if that's true then I'll be pretty pissed off about that. I don't want this series to become a mockery of itself. That, and it sets the tone for the entire presentation of the game.
I agree with what a lot of what you're saying, but I do have to note that Yakuza's Japanese only voice overs have not hurt it's popularity. Sure, some meatheads won't play because of it, but lets face it meatheads were never going to play Shenmue in the first place. I mean if you like Shenmue you probably like Asia to a degree.

I agree with what a lot of what you're saying, but I do have to note that Yakuza's Japanese only voice overs have not hurt it's popularity. Sure, some meatheads won't play because of it, but lets face it meatheads were never going to play Shenmue in the first place. I mean if you like Shenmue you probably like Asia to a degree.
English Dubs actually attract alot of new audiences not just meatheads, japanese only games do turn people off jsut because the prospect of reading subtitles is annoying to some, and theres also the sect of weebs that just really like dubs and the culture around them (ie the people in the industry and the process) that get genuinely upset when dubs arent included in things. I recall there being a big stint over blazblue for example choosing to not have a dub for its final game.

I don't mind a Japanese only VO to save budget if that's what it takes for a S4
if it needs to pull a yakuza 2 and drop the dub then maybe, but I think if they are getting that strapped for cash anyway shenmue 4 just straight up wouldnt be happening anyway. Like thats stuff super small games do that break even at like 20,000 copies and only expect to sell about little over that do such as digimon cyber sleuth of the new atelier games or whatever (granted ryza has tapped into that horny advertisement so the next one might aford a dub). I mean even yakzua eventually went back to adding a dub 2 games ago (fotns and judgement)

personally I dont want them to remove the dub, I just want them to actually try with it and above all a better translation anyway, some of this shit is truly awful and translates stuff so literally when you cannot translate japanese to english literally without it breaking the language. I dont blame the actors at all, I fully blame whoever was the adr person.

For a game that was always going to rely predominantly on western sales to succeed, not having an English dub would have done far more damage than a poor dub. Rehiring Corey Marshall and/or instructing him to read like a robot again was the mistake.

By far the biggest mistake however was the introduction of food. It doesn’t enhance the gameplay in the slightest and only damages the experience. I’d happily accept it as introducing an element of realism were it not for the fact that it’s implementation isn’t at all realistic. Eating a few cloves of garlic after having the shit kicked out of you doesn’t make you immediately ready for round two.

Pretty much every review I’ve seen criticized or commented on the food system in a negative way and this probably hurt the game far more than the poor English dub.

Toi be frank I don't expect a 4 and I'm not holding out hope until I see an announcement confirming it.

For a game that was always going to rely predominantly on western sales to succeed, not having an English dub would have done far more damage than a poor dub. Rehiring Corey Marshall and/or instructing him to read like a robot again was the mistake.
Hiring Corey marshal again is great its not even a role that requires much emotion anyway, again its absolutely on the adr director above any actor.

I don't care if you don't say it. You abide by the standards of IGN when you review S3 on there.

If you think this is 5.9 compared to COD MW's 8/10 then I find that disgraceful.
I don't think you really understand what he was saying at all, your not just putting words into his mouth, your starting and finishing an entirely different conversation than what hes talking about and somehow getting offended by the topic you started.

Like man he wasnt even specifically talking about ign but modern perceptions overall let alone anything close to cod, the fuck you even on about.

Last edited:
Back