Random Shenmue III Thoughts

...I'm still avoiding most impressions etc. but needed to ask...does the capsule toy sidequest kid disappear if you don't accept the quest quick enough? I didn't speak to him initially, and now I have the white lure...

If so I'll just sell the full lure set.

...I'm still avoiding most impressions etc. but needed to ask...does the capsule toy sidequest kid disappear if you don't accept the quest quick enough? I didn't speak to him initially, and now I have the white lure...

If so I'll just sell the full lure set.

i think so. It shows up on day two or day three. I know I missed it though and couldn’t get it many days later

Holy crap, Choubu is so freaking big and nice. I spent like 2 in-game hours just looking around the boat before walking towards any of the shops. I'm too dang tired to fully appreciate and take it all in atm, so I saved at the hotel without really looking around and plan on picking it back up tomorrow morning. I have a feeling this is going to be amazing.

PS: What was the deal with that black jacket, again? Was that backer DLC or a retail day-1 thing? I got the fishing jacket with the rainbow catfish on the back and I love it, but it reminded me that black jacker that looked really cool. I don't know if I should have it as part of my backer DLC or not.

Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2019-11-23 14-52-42-23.jpg

Also if you don't buy the S4 shoes Yu will take that as a sign that you don't want Shenmue 4

Has anyone bought the DLC yet? Are they even available to use in the game? I see that there's separate trophies for them; 3 different packs in all; Story Quest Pack, Big Merry Cruise, and Battle Rally. I heard one of them is an RC slot car racing thing, and the preorder flight jacket along with....clothes for Shenhua?

I literally just finished bailu too like a minute ago
Overall I liked it, but just liked it, it didnt have the level of detail I was hoping for and it really never felt like a community as I was hoping, I think it needed alot more optional scenes like in 1. And it did indeed feel a bit like filler, the highlight was talking to shenhua.
That's how really all of the locations feel, the village lacks heart and the city lacks grit and the last location.. no spoilers I guess.
Many story characters show up once or twice but that's it for their development.

The story itself also seems to over-indulge on pointless obstacles to hinder plot progression more so than the originals, barely felt like the plot moved at all.. that is to say, it felt like it barely moved across ALL locations leading to the finale.

Has anyone bought the DLC yet? Are they even available to use in the game? I see that there's separate trophies for them; 3 different packs in all; Story Quest Pack, Big Merry Cruise, and Battle Rally. I heard one of them is an RC slot car racing thing, and the preorder flight jacket along with....clothes for Shenhua?

I think the DLC pack is more of a "season pass" for when it's released in the future, so nothing is out yet.

I literally just finished bailu too like a minute ago

Overall I liked it, but just liked it, it didnt have the level of detail I was hoping for and it really never felt like a community as I was hoping, I think it needed alot more optional scenes like in 1. And it did indeed feel a bit like filler, the highlight was talking to shenhua.
already the 2nd area is making a stronger impression on me, mainly cause I like shenmue 2 alot more than 1. Gotta say I was laughing my ass off the entire
phone call with Tom, that goofy as voice just slays me everytime and I wasnt expecting him of all people to lecture ryo on destiny choosing shenhua as the one, it was just so fucking goofy I love it

I kind of hate that you can call fangmei but not xiuying though, its weird how shes just outright not in this game to me, I always assumed she would be a major player going foreword, which I guess she still will be judging from the cards but still.
I also made it to the 2nd area last night and wonder if that now means I've completed 50% of the game. Not explored the second area yet so have no idea how it compares in terms of size.

I'm also on the second area now. I really enjoyed Bailu actually, but Niaowu looks amazing and is a great change of pace.

I am concerned reading how others feel about the plot and pacing, particularly those further than me. I'm kind of split on it. I actually really enjoyed the area of Bailu and getting to know the villagers, I didn't find it "lacked heart", but I know what people mean about the slow pace and padding (I spent much of my time fishing, chopping wood, gambling, playing in the arcade, training and doing side quests).

On the one hand, the plot of Shenmue 1 could be summarised on the back of a cigarette packet, but I loved the whole experience and the world Yu crafted. I feel Shenmue 3 is similar (although as others have said, it's a shame there aren't really an optional scenes and experiences that enrichen the experience) and I like that about it, but I do worry that by the end my biggest concern is it overall won't have moved the plot forward much and it will continue to slowly meander. It will make me wonder how Yu Suzuki has had 18 years to think about Shenmue 3 and he couldn't move the plot even a little bit forward. It's great to learn more about Iwao and the mirrors, but the pace is very slow. Shenmue 2 seemed to move at a rapid pace and take things up a notch, but Shenmue 3 seems to take everything down several notches. I've been playing for god knows how many hours (probably 20-30) and even in a new location I'm still just searching for Shenhua's father and asking random NPCs about him.

Too be honest i like these smaller locations more. You get to know the people and where they walk around,
there are important NPCs in every spot of the map and it has this small town mystery feeling.
Hong Kong or Niaowu are impressive and big and loud but its just way more of everything
and there is a tradeoff for that, like tons of citizens and shop owners who are just there to make it look populated.
Thats why i like Gothic 1 or Kingdom Come Deliverance, all of the towns just have 10, 25, 50 NPCs. Its not empty,
the towns are just small.

Too be honest i like these smaller locations more. You get to know the people and where they walk around,
there are important NPCs in every spot of the map and it has this small town mystery feeling.
Hong Kong or Niaowu are impressive and big and loud but its just way more of everything
and there is a tradeoff for that, like tons of citizens and shop owners who are just there to make it look populated.
Thats why i like Gothic 1 or Kingdom Come Deliverance, all of the towns just have 10, 25, 50 NPCs. Its not empty,
the towns are just small.
I agree and this is one reason I've always liked 1 more than 2, but I really like the mix in 3.

I understood it in Bailu where it's supposed to get too dark to see. Should have been 11pm or later in Niaowu though.
Do we begin the day earlier in this game compared to the previous titles? Even if this is the case 9pm still feels far too early, especially in Niaowu

Okay a quest needs me to find a settlement of weavers... WHERE? Help please. It's the last thing I wanna do before leaving Bailu.

One thing that does bug me... what the fuck is up with the 9pm curfew? I'm not 12 years old. Let me investigate until at least 11pm.
Still in Bailu at the moment. I do agree with you on the curfew in Niaowu being too early. The game looks stunning and atmospheric at 7pm onwards.

I think Yu could have balanced the quiet bailu and early 9pm return home, which I think works at developing Ryo & Shenhua relationship which is great because Bailu isn't as big as Niaowu so it makes sense for pacing reasons. Then when you get out of Bailu they should have just scrapped the 9pm limit & Shenhua talking ( that's for Bailu only and if you miss it it's your own fault ) bits for Bailu and let the story pick up hard, like S2, to match this more epic, larger space where a lot of the shit will go down ( the calm before the storm ). This just also makes more sense for Niaowu anyway, being much larger with more bright lights at night with more things to do, and did I mention it looks great at night. Flaunt it if you've got it I say. I mean they could've sidestepped this issue with a 10pm curfew coupled with a 10pm to 12am talk, in hindsight. Maybe in S4?

Anyway, I'm only judging by some folks thoughts here so it could be different for others playthroughs. The story development is slow, true, but I do adore those night conversations ( reminds me of Bioware's old games ) and I believe that is meant to be the real story of Bailu, atleast.

Back