Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I had the absolute worst time with

Figuring out what animal styles muscle dude was using. Like, how in the hell is the 3rd one not an Elephant swinging its trunk? A dragon? Who the hell is supposed to figure out that’s supposed to be a dragon? And then you have to keep moving around to different martial art shops if you mess up. You can’t just ask the same shop keeper. Ridiculous.

Just did that part. Was not too fond of it myself either.
I initially thought they wanted you to go to all the shops and have none of the shopkeepers know the answer so they could trigger some event. Luckily I messed around and actually guessed it right on like the 3rd try. I'm interested in seeing what happens if you get it wrong at every single martial arts shop.

Digital foundry analysis is up for anyone that wants to see it. It should also give some pretty decent exposure as well.

There's also no story spoilers and only shows a little bit of Niaowu for those interested.

Just did that part. Was not too fond of it myself either.
I initially thought they wanted you to go to all the shops and have none of the shopkeepers know the answer so they could trigger some event. Luckily I messed around and actually guessed it right on like the 3rd try. I'm interested in seeing what happens if you get it wrong at every single martial arts shop.

I thought that too. And don’t worry, if you miss on all of them you just have to do the rounds again. It’s terrible design, actually. Though I did enjoy learning from the shop owners about the different styles. If they just made it where if you miss you could just ask again, it would be fine.

Figuring out what animal styles muscle dude was using. Like, how in the hell is the 3rd one not an Elephant swinging its trunk? A dragon? Who the hell is supposed to figure out that’s supposed to be a dragon? And then you have to keep moving around to different martial art shops if you mess up. You can’t just ask the same shop keeper. Ridiculous.

I completely concur. If you base it on the animation and movements some of the choices are certainly counterintuitive.

The 3rd choice obviously looked more like an
elephant than dragon

Played all Sunday. 20+ hours in I'm at the later stages of Niaowu at the part when

Ryo needs 5000 Yuan to buy the move scroll to beat muscle guy

How close am I to beating the game (doing strictly story stuff) because the week has started and I really want to beat the game now, I only have little time after work to play but from what I've checked it seems its doable in 2 - 3 hours or so.

Played all Sunday. 20+ hours in I'm at the later stages of Niaowu at the part when

Ryo needs 5000 Yuan to buy the move scroll to beat muscle guy

How close am I to beating the game (doing strictly story stuff) because the week has started and I really want to beat the game now, I only have little time after work to play but from what I've checked it seems its doable in 2 - 3 hours or so.

You're almost done with the game. You've got about an 1.5 hours left to go in the game. If you save scum roll it on top like in Shenmue 2, that will help you get money much faster.

A post on another general gaming forum I visit, no spoilers

So I finished it tonight. Holy Shit. An absolutely fantastic experience. It's totally Shenmue through and through. It's been made with love, warmth, and good humour, and it gets itself. I still don't really feel that it's over, as this is something that stays with you. I've not felt like I've lived in another place in a game for a very very long time, and somehow, with all its weird little quirks and idiosyncrasies, Shenmue III is so much more than the sum of its parts. I hope Yu Suzuki gets to finish the story, but honestly, even if he doesn't, this was enough to emotionally give us at least a little closure as to what might have been in the last 20 years.

Just beat it. My total time was 38 hours. Literally finished like a couple of minutes ago so my opinion will probably change, but right now I feel underwhelmed/let down. I won't talk specifics, but it ends so abruptly. The whole game it felt like we were just getting started and then all of a sudden its over.

Last edited:

That was definitely the most boring and poorly designed part of the game for me.

The only one making sense for me was the Snake.
All the others were too ambiguous (Panda-Bear / Jaguar-Monkey) and for the 3rd one I was also pretty sure it resembled an Elephant.
I was focusing too much on my personal interpretation of those movements rather than where the shop owners were hinting with their replies, which is the key to beating that part.

It took me way more time to figure out than I would have hoped.

Yeah, I about lost my mind over this as well

Found a fun tidbit of info!

This guy at Niaowu harbor is named Riff Tamblyn.

D14B010F-1F0B-434E-931C-E7B127271EA6.jpeg

He’s named after Russ Tamblyn, who played Riff in West Side Story!

19819835-58A9-4F5E-9658-D8DA9FC890F3.jpeg

The other guy in the warehouse named Antony could be a reference to West Side Story character (and movie Riff’s best friend) Tony, whose full name is Anton.

Back