Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I agree and this is one reason I've always liked 1 more than 2, but I really like the mix in 3.
Ditto - the world itself seems so much more alive in III than in II. The sense of exploration that I had in the first not only upon release, but also upon replaying it with the HD collection was back in full force with this entry.

just updated Shenmue 3 with all the pre order/KS DLC. Going to start another play through. I Hope I can see and tell a difference between my unpatched run.

Am also going to take my sweet ass time with it. I think there is more under the hood then we realize.

In a interview (maybe GI rapid fire?) Yu said that not all the secrets in Shenmue 1 or 2 haven't been found. Am dying to know what it is and what hidden secrets that are in S3.

I absolutely love that this track made it into the game. It's honestly my favourite piece of Shenmue music, from all three games. I still remember when the Kickstarter launched, I would just listening to it on repeat.
Where did you hear this in the game? I probably missed something... (I also had that theme on repeat when the kickstarter was first announced)

Finally got out of Bialu Village and that was probably at the perfect time because a few things were beginning to frustrate/ I was getting a little bit fidgety with the game.

The chicken game was REALLY annoying me. I think just in general I've become quite terrible at QTEs. Also one thing that kind of bugged me was how the fight with the main thug had been dragged out, especially seeing as during the second interaction I essentially had him beat. Why not just cut the fight off before I get him in the red? It's just that whole section of the game was starting to drag on me a little bit so I'm glad for the scenery change.

Overall I'm still quite happy with the game. (Having to condense my thoughts because I'm at work and don't want to be caught.)

When looking at the portraits in the "Save Shenmue" temple:
giphy.gif

Correction.. Bailu village felt more alive. Niaowu is a discount Wan Chai.
I dont know Bailu just felt like a more artificial Yokosuka to me, you never really got to interact with any of the townsfolk on a meaningful level nor did we get much of a sense of everyone knowing eachother or even sehnhua cause we rarely saw her interact with them. I think the big thing that Bailu suffers from was the lack of optional events based on the date similar to how shenmue 1 handled it.

I also think what really makes Bailu underwhelming for me was
The fact you literally just leave unannounced, no goodbye to the characters you met or scene of Shenhua having to leave her house for who knows how long for the first time ever, nah just some crummy scene of them silently looking at the sky, honest to god a single scene the day of traveling to Niawu of the villagers seeing them off could of made Bailu so much more worth it in the end, also not fighting chai outside of a qte was highly dissapointing

Went to Best Buy yesterday to pick up my steelbook. I asked if they had any more because I considered bringing them back here and sharing the wealth. Wasn’t looking to profit. But there was a guy at the next register getting the steelbooks they had. He was like “Nah man you can have them.” But I turned him down as he got there first and it wasn’t a big deal at all. He asked if I was a fan and I told him for sure. He pulled back his jacket sleeve and showed me a Shenmue logo. Killer! He asked if I played the originals and I told him yes.

We chatted up for a minute. He said he, like me, was still in Bailu and taking it super slow. Asked if he had been to the Shenmue Dojo but he said no. He mentioned the Facebook group(Probably Shenmue 500k).

I was super psyched to see a Shenmue fan in the wild for once. I left with a sense of hope that this game might just succeed enough to get us a fourth installment in the series.

I dont know Bailu just felt like a more artificial Yokosuka to me, you never really got to interact with any of the townsfolk on a meaningful level nor did we get much of a sense of everyone knowing eachother or even sehnhua cause we rarely saw her interact with them. I think the big thing that Bailu suffers from was the lack of optional events based on the date similar to how shenmue 1 handled it.

I agree, but a good tip to get some non-plotline dialogue from the NPCs in Bailu is to talk to them when you know what your next objective is but your notebook says to wait another day or whatever. Then instead of time-jumping, speak to some of the NPCs.

was super psyched to see a Shenmue fan in the wild for once. I left with a sense of hope that this game might just succeed enough to get us a fourth installment in the series.

Talking about seeing a Shenmue fan out in the wild, it must have been over a year ago, I got off the bus in Glasgow city centre and saw a guy wearing Ryo’s jacket. Kind of stalkerish, but I went up to him and started talking about Shenmue 3 and the Kickstarter etc.

Timestamp?

Towards the very end -- Bets from the Previous Week.

That was just heartbreaking. Fucking Chess was beating this game in terms of viewership? That's heartbreaking.

I'm trying to keep a positive face, but I don't know...unless they can pull off something.

Correction.. Bailu village felt more alive. Niaowu is a discount Wan Chai.

I kind of agree, everytime Shenhua would say "It's so busy out there" in Chobu I would just look at her and think "are you high? It's a frigging ghost town out there....there's very few people wondering around"

I don't know, I think I preferred Bailu. Chobu just didn't feel the same. It actually did feel a bit Hong Kong redux....there are beautiful sights within Chobu such as the street markets and the gorgeous Chinese Temples, but it was like walking through a ghost town at times in terms of how empty the streets were.

Bailu is also Yokosuka redux, but I felt like it made sense given Shenhua...it kind of has this nice second home vibe. Considering your nightly conversations are mostly about cultural differences, it was kind of nice to be in this place that wasn't home but still felt like home.

Like it's a rustic version of Yokosuka...only in China. I found Bailu way more charming...and this is coming from someone who generally prefers Shenmue II.

Last edited:
Why do you guys think the cities were so unpopulated? Is UE4 incapable of displaying that many characters at one time?

It's weird because Suzuki specifically said in a progress update years ago that they would design the city and number of NPCs to give the right feel, but in the end they created a massive Niaowu that feels underpopulated. Basically everything in this game points to overambition meeting with harsh reality.

Back