Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy fuck you're not kidding. What the hell happened?
I think its a big mix of, it was probably used as an ad, and it probably autoplay on the epic store/website. You can tell its not cause people are looking it up cause theres virtually no interaction on the youtube page itself, measly views and barely any comments.

And if you want to get cynical/conspiracy theorist, Epic is conflating the views for an attempt to push good pr.

I think its a big mix of, it was probably used as an ad, and it probably autoplay on the epic store/website. You can tell its not cause people are looking it up cause theres virtually no interaction on the youtube page itself, measly views and barely any comments.
Yeah that has to be the case. I guess this means Epic is likely paying to get this trailer out in-front of people considering it's on their channel, which is fantastic.

I do wish there was actually a way to see how sales work on epic, I won't deny that there are many shady aspects to their business practices especially in that regard, they do have a tendency to release these insanely positive reports of sales then never actually showing much to back it up if ever.

I just hope the amount of money made in the deal was worth something in the end, its possible it was just stuff DS is gonna pocket and not really help with 4 much at all.

Yeah that has to be the case. I guess this means Epic is likely paying to get this trailer out in-front of people considering it's on their channel, which is fantastic.
I think theres a very good chance it was just spotlighted on the store itself, like on the front page or something for a couple of days that autoplayed more so than it actually being sent out as a youtube ad or whatever.

Last edited:
Definitely the ad trailer. I’ve seen it twice on my YouTube viewings.
Can also confirm it autoplays on the page 2, like I tihkn that shit loaded and started playing the second the page was loaded up so the way epic games store is coded they have video players being top priority I guess. They better consider that if they ever intend to make the site less simple in the future

tsutaya shenmue3.png
For those who care about sales in Japan, according to Tsutaya, one of the most common places to buy games and hardware in Japan, the game ranks #6 in last week's sales (11/18 - 11/25), which is lower than Luigi's Mansion 3.

The latter sold 29,718 copies two weeks ago according to Famitsu:

So I guess Shenmue 3 sold approximately 20k copies at best in Japan in the first week.

By the way, Shenmue 1 &2 sold 37,529 copies in the first week according to Media Create.

Edit: Sorry I made a huge typo. It sold 20k copies at best in Japan in its debut week, not 200k, and we still don't know the accurate figure. But since Call of Duty Modern Warfare ranked #6 two weeks ago which only sold 9,000 copies, the worst situation would be that the game sold less than 10,000 copies in Japan.

Last edited:
View attachment 5906
For those who care about sales in Japan, according to Tsutaya, one of the most common places to buy games and hardware in Japan, the game ranks #6 in last week's sales (11/18 - 11/25), which is lower than Luigi's Mansion 3.

The latter sold 29,718 copies two weeks ago according to Famitsu:

So I guess Shenmue 3 sold approximately 200k copies at best in Japan in the first week.

By the way, Shenmue 1 &2 sold 37,529 copies in the first week according to Media Create.
But 200k in Japan is a good thing! Add the same number for the US (incl. Epic) and another 100k for all of Europe including UK and we have a solid success!

Epic (pre)bought a huge amount of copies as part of the exclusivity deal right? I always that in itself went a long way to making IV a reality.

Epic (pre)bought a huge amount of copies as part of the exclusivity deal right? I always that in itself went a long way to making IV a reality.
Yeah, even a niche game like Samurai Shodown (no offense intended, I am a huge SNK fan) was promised "the value of hundreds of thousands of copies."

Another thing to consider is that sales on the EGS give a bigger cut to the publisher than a game that's sold on PlayStation (or Steam in the future). Hopefully that lowers the sales numbers needed to greenlight Shenmue IV if the plan is to stick with UE4 and release on EGS.

Another thing to consider is that sales on the EGS give a bigger cut to the publisher than a game that's sold on PlayStation (or Steam in the future). Hopefully that lowers the sales numbers needed to greenlight Shenmue IV if the plan is to stick with UE4 and release on EGS.

However, the deal with Epic means they've already paid for a bunch of copies, so for the first (100k? 200k? 250k?) copies 0% goes to Deep Silver and YsNet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back