Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to stop treating gamindustry.biz as a reliable sources. They are prone to editorialising like every other gaming website and often display the worst excesses you'd also find on Destructoid or Kotaku. Even their reporting of the sales charts are a matter of interpretation, since they haven't posted hard numbers in years. So as far as I'm concerned physical sales of Shenmue 3 are doing great for week 1 if they can still rank in the top 20 and match a consistent seller like Football manager.
What makes you think gameindustrybiz is unreliable especially to the tier of kotaku? I've only seen them be pretty objective in their reporting and rarely expressing a tone outside of neutral. Especially since alot of their staff are industry insiders.

Yu didnt say all the money went to epic, thats just more how the deal works in general, publishers are the ones who set that up. Self-published indie devs are the only ones that would really be speaking to epic directly over it

My bad. I took this below to mean he had said it:

Like Yu Suzuki keeps talking about needing to find investors and all the money from the epic deal goes straight to Deep Silver not Ysnet.

Sales figures are worrying and we can cover up in anyway possible but the truth is if the sales are #6 in japan and #17 in UK on physical sales... this would also be approximate to our position of the total sales...

Essentiallly we are not likely to be debuting in Top 5 of charts despite being a new game which is not great

however this was expected given most fans ordered 4 years ago rather than in last week
I hope no one here expected the game to debut ahead of Death Stranding and Pokemon, even if they are a couple weeks old. That’s just an impossible standard, especially with the middling reviews Shenmue 3 is receiving.

I hope no one here expected the game to debut ahead of Death Stranding and Pokemon, even if they are a couple weeks old. That’s just an impossible standard, especially with the middling reviews Shenmue 3 is receiving.
agreed will be no where near that but i would expect it to outsell a game thats been out 2 months plus

What makes you think gameindustrybiz is unreliable especially to the tier of kotaku? I've only seen them be pretty objective in their reporting and rarely expressing a tone outside of neutral.
A neutral tone does not make a neutral publication, so to speak. Over the last couple of years gameindustry.biz has branched out into more fluff pieces, trying to put a human face on the UK games industry. But that human interest perspective comes at the price of objectivity. All that commentary around the weekly sales charts is now treated as just another opportunity at editorialising. When I go to gameindustry.biz lately it's quite common to see some hot take defending why a favoured game isn't selling better or conversely downplaying the relative success of other games.

A neutral tone does not make a neutral publication, so to speak. Over the last couple of years gameindustry.biz has branched out into more fluff pieces, trying to put a human face on the UK games industry. But that human interest perspective comes at the price of objectivity. All that commentary around the weekly sales charts is now treated as just another opportunity at editorialising. When I go to gameindustry.biz lately it's quite common to see some hot take defending why a favoured game isn't selling better or conversely downplaying the relative success of other games.
I meant more like, what specific cases do they do that to, looking at their front page right now for example I'm seeing loads of objective statements backed up by cited and highly specific statistics, the only remotely editorialized article was about how the stadia isnt being well received and even that is just compiling lots of critical consensus from multiple publications and giving more or less a tl;dr of the situation.

I just don't see what you're getting at whatsoever, especially if your saying their as bad as kotaku who sometimes make things up outright. I don't think I've ever seen an article from gameindustrybiz where they dont cite sources oftentimes multiple. IF anything the only example I'm seeing of them downplay or playing something up, is if you really stretch things with when they mention that shenmue 3's sales are likely effected by a successful Kickstarter, which isnt downplaying a failure its stating a genuine thing that can effect sales and make it look worse than it actually is.

a lot of other kickstarter games sold better in their first week (kingdom come deliverance, pillar of eternity, broken sword 5, divinity original sin...)

I think most of those came out to great reviews, unfortunately.

I just don't see what you're getting at whatsoever, especially if your saying their as bad as kotaku who sometimes make things up outright. I don't think I've ever seen an article from gameindustrybiz where they dont cite sources oftentimes multiple. IF anything the only example I'm seeing of them downplay or playing something up, is if you really stretch things with when they mention that shenmue 3's sales are likely effected by a successful Kickstarter, which isnt downplaying a failure its stating a genuine thing that can effect sales and make it look worse than it actually is.
What you need to understand is that they all make stuff up, actual research is beyond the means of the average gaming website these days. Even citations don't count for much, when they all just cite each without doing any original reporting of their own.

My point is that the existence of these comments at all on gameindustry.biz is itself an act of editorialising, the moment you have a human trying interpret that chart and offer explanations you have the insertion of bias. If gameindustry.biz wanted to be fair they should've just posted the chart and nothing else but they can't even do that anymore. What we have is Shenmue at 17 and still above Football Manager 2020 in the Christmas season, that's good enough for me.

What you need to understand is that they all make stuff up, actual research is beyond the means of the average gaming website these days. Even citations don't count for much, when they all just cite each without doing any original reporting of their own.

My point is that the existence of these comments at all on gameindustry.biz is itself an act of editorialising, the moment you have a human trying interpret that chart and offer explanations you have the insertion of bias. If gameindustry.biz wanted to be fair they should've just posted the chart and nothing else but they can't even do that anymore. What we have is Shenmue at 17 and still above Football Manager 2020 in the Christmas season, that's good enough for me.
So you don't have any actual examples then? I really dont get what you were trying to prove by slandering these guys for no real reason?

You really can’t sugarcoat these numbers. The only thing you can say is to hope the digital sales are much higher or that the numbers outside of the UK are better.

So you don't have any actual examples then? I really dont get what you were trying to prove by slandering these guys for no real reason?
It's not slander to point out that all journalists are biased. What they say is only ever a matter of opinion, at best. Gameindustry.biz didn't collect this data themselves, they found the information elsewhere and won't ever post the hard numbers. To that end, you chose to see something negative in all this and I honestly disagree. This a decent performance for Shenmue 3 in the UK, it was never going to set the charts on fire, it's not that sort of game. Yet by holding its own Shenmue 3 can do good steady business across the entire Christmas season. That more the anything will ensure the creation of Shenmue 4.

Hold up, Shenmue III was a Tuesday release date here in the UK. For comparison most games, including Death Stranding and Modern Warfare launch on Fridays. So they had an extra three days worth of sales before the first charting.

Besides, 17th across all formats on one system is not bad at all. Football Manager is huge in the UK and one of Sega's biggest franchises so if it's pacing with that - that's good !

Again, we have no digital sales numbers, no epic numbers, and no numbers far and wide. Physical releases in the UK are way down in favour of digital

Take Mortal Kombat 11 for example:
The game's debut performance is 43.6% smaller than 2015's Mortal Kombat X (note: digital sales are not included, and download sales have improved significantly over the last four years). However, sales are slightly up over 2017's Injustice 2, which is another beat 'em up developed by NetherRealm featuring DC characters.

Hitman 2
Compared with 2012's Hitman Absolution, launch physical sales of Hitman 2 are down 90 per cent.

Last edited:
NPD numbers will be interesting. It's a shame we don't get sales numbers for online.

But yeah, ooofff to that #17....I'm hoping for the best...I'm trying to cling onto hope...but yeah. To come in with even less sales than the HD versions? That's rough.

You really can’t sugarcoat these numbers. The only thing you can say is to hope the digital sales are much higher or that the numbers outside of the UK are better.
Well, the UK is one of the bigger markets for Shenmue but the US, Japan and hopefully China matter a lot more.

Amazon number doesn't seem to have shifted with the new discount. :'(

But generally: who expected huge sales? Shenmue is a niche game, a little nerdy, the pace is slow, English dubbing is quite bad and has always been...

Most people don't care for all the love and the details hidden in this game and those who do (most of us are on this forum I guess) did support the Kickstarter.

I'm really happy that Shenmue is selling at all and I think there is more to it than just sales numbers that will make S4 happen. I really hope Yu san has a plan, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back