Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I don't think this is really much of a spoiler, but just in case regarding an event happening early in Niaowu
That segment where Ryo has to keep performing QTE's to stop a thug from falling onto a vendors merchandise was hilarious

Reminds me of the other QTE that happens shortly later since it involed a failure that made me laugh unexpectedly due to said person's reaction!

What percentage of the game would you say is complete by the time of arriving in Niaowu? I'm probably played about five hours since, but trying to gauge how much is left. Literally next to nothing has happened story-wise in this game which is a tad frustrating, but I've been having fun and am definitely immersed.
Definitely 50% and the halfway point of the game. The last climax of the game isn't exactly long and Niaowu is more about exploring all the shops and new characters than actual plot but it's still there.

I beat the game in 18 hours. I was 9 hours in when I reached Niaowu. That should give you a clear indication (although I only did story tasks which included grinding money to progress plot)

What percentage of the game would you say is complete by the time of arriving in Niaowu? I'm probably played about five hours since, but trying to gauge how much is left. Literally next to nothing has happened story-wise in this game which is a tad frustrating, but I've been having fun and am definitely immersed.

Ryo at the beginning of Shenmue 3 *1 hour in*: "What can you tell me about those thugs?"

Ryo 50% into Shenmue 3, exploring a whole new area *250 hours in*: "What can you tell me about those thugs?"

Is there no fast travel in Niaowu anywhere? I dont use the run button at all, so it takes me a couple of ingame hours
to get to the other site of the town. Its like fishing or forklift job in the early hours, then walk to the story mission
and after that the ingame day is pretty much over. Or do more than one job + shopping,
then there isnt even enough time for one story mission because the walk to the shopping streets
already takes 2-3 hours. Why is there no "jump to the promenade" option at the hotel?

So I love Niaowu so far, but holy hell what were they thinking making that one section you absolutely have to walk through to get to anywhere after the starter, like its just annoying, why. Another Niaowu complaint I guess, the game's technical limitation definitely show there more than anything, the pop in is really unfortunate in ps4.

So I love Niaowu so far, but holy hell what were they thinking making that one section you absolutely have to walk through to get to anywhere after the starter, like its just annoying, why. Another Niaowu complaint I guess, the game's technical limitation definitely show there more than anything, the pop in is really unfortunate in ps4.
It's there to mask loading , some games do it like this, others with elevator rides, etc...

That's a common tactic in video games to allow for loading of the next area. You would see those kind of obstacles in RAGE on the PC/360/PS3. I thought it was pretty clever to disguise it as a temple where running isn't allowed :p

It's there to mask loading , some games do it like this, others with elevator rides, etc...

That's a common tactic in video games to allow for loading of the next area. You would see those kind of obstacles in RAGE on the PC/360/PS3. I thought it was pretty clever to disguise it as a temple where running isn't allowed :p
I figured it was, its still kind of annoying when you need to rush to get to something before the days up like a quest you might fail if you take to long onto to come to a dead halt.

Well, I found out you can repurchase a move scroll you’ve already bought. Won’t make that mistake again.
Yeah that was very annoying, I dont get why there isnt something to tell you what you bought and haven't bought yet like in alot of jrpgs.

Haven't been able to play for a few days but jumped back in today... In Niaowu. All I can say is DAMN does it give me the same feelings as Shenmue II did when you explore Hong Kong before Kowloon.

I love it so much. You barely notice it but all of a sudden you're there. You're sucked into the game world and Shenmue III gives you that very special Shenmue feeling we all seek as if it was heroin.

Fuck the haters and their 40-55 scores. :mad:

Haven't been able to play for a few days but jumped back in today... In Niaowu. All I can say is DAMN does it give me the same feelings as Shenmue II did when you explore Hong Kong before Kowloon.

I love it so much. You barely notice it but all of a sudden you're there. You're sucked into the game world and Shenmue III gives you that very special Shenmue feeling we all seek as if it was heroin.

My personal opinion is that in terms of activities and things to do Niaowu is the best location to appear in a Shenmue game. My first 3 days there I didn't really continue the story as I was enjoying the fighting, shopping, earning money and collecting scrolls in the various was possible.

I prefer the original games but could never get lost for days in the previous locations. In those game the focus for me was more on the individuals you talk with and get to know rather than the activities.

Seriously, Bailu ended up being the exact kind of location Shenhua described it as, and ended up feeling like "home" away from Ryo's home, and then Naiowu pulled you back to feeling lost in a big city like Hong Kong (with a lot less Man Mo Everything though). The locations are as good as ever and truly a highlight of Shenmue III, I took FOREVER to even really get Niaowu's main quest started because I was too busy exploring. (And I don't think I'm even close to getting done too!)

Seriously, Bailu ended up being the exact kind of location Shenhua described it as, and ended up feeling like "home" away from Ryo's home, and then Naiowu pulled you back to feeling lost in a big city like Hong Kong (with a lot less Man Mo Everything though). The locations are as good as ever and truly a highlight of Shenmue III, I took FOREVER to even really get Niaowu's main quest started because I was too busy exploring. (And I don't think I'm even close to getting done too!)
At some point I just had to force myself to ignore everything and continue the dang storyline. I've spent so many days just staring at textures and models, collecting pawn items, searching for Chobu-chan, etc. Then I come back to Shenhua at the end of the day and feel like an asshole when I realize her dad might already be dead because I've been goofing around all week lmao.

Ooof... I'm basically out of money in Niaowu but I do have herb sets I could sell... But I could also trade said herb sets for new moves.. But if I do that I have no money. Which means I gotta gamble and I made a promise to myself NOT to save scum during my first playthrough to really get that Shenmue-aura.

Decisions decisions...

At some point I just had to force myself to ignore everything and continue the dang storyline. I've spent so many days just staring at textures and models, collecting pawn items, searching for Chobu-chan, etc. Then I come back to Shenhua at the end of the day and feel like an asshole when I realize her dad might already be dead because I've been goofing around all week lmao.
- Hey Ryo any news?
- Yes I talked with a florist.
- About my father?
- No, I bought a flower for only $5.
- Oh... So any news about my father
- He definetelly didn't went to the arcade game today, if that's what you're asking...

I have the same problem, on one hand i want to explore everything, collect all the items,
search for every side mission, train all the moves etc
but then there is absolutely no story progress and it just feels kind of wrong to ignore it
because this is not supposed to be a holiday trip. So i'm trying to balance it a bit now,
a bit of everything with story progression and i think i will do the real trophy run in a second playthrough
because then i dont have the story pressure anymore.

Ooof... I'm basically out of money in Niaowu but I do have herb sets I could sell... But I could also trade said herb sets for new moves.. But if I do that I have no money. Which means I gotta gamble and I made a promise to myself NOT to save scum during my first playthrough to really get that Shenmue-aura.

Decisions decisions...
There's some good ways to make Niaowu actually, at least 100 yuan per activity or more,
like the Forklift job or catching ducks, which aren't available at the start of Niaowu so you'd have to progress a bit. You can even still chop wood right next to Hotel Niaowu too, behind the Lucky Hit stands.

Back