Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I dunno how far you are into it but... When the "Promenade" really opens up, it has to be one of the biggest areas in all of Shenmue. There are

soo many different shops, pharmacies, pawn shops with different prices, gambling areas, new mini games, wooden dummy cafe, lush gardens with herbs abound, fishing spots, side quests...

Really impressed with it.
I have to talk with the guy of the temple who fought with the Red snakes

I have to talk with the guy of the temple who fought with the Red snakes

Hm, I think that's right around where I am, too. Well I guess if you're not impressed with it now, I don't think you will be. :eek:

As for me, I got reminded of Hong Kong, before Kowloon x 5. They also had a bunch of shops but you couldn't buy anything other than move scrolls. Now you can look for Choubu-chan to get skillbooks, buy stuff in random stores to complete item sets for skill books, collect more herbs for money and skillbooks, find Smart Ball mini game, chillax around creepy wooden dummies. Even spar for cash for some reason. There is also the Rose Garden with even more gambling opportunities and the arena with a ton of fights to enjoy. So yeah, like it way more than I did Hong Kong of Shenmue II

If you go to the store "Healthy Drug" you can find this dude with sunken eyes and blood on his coat selling you drugs. I found that kinda funny.

Can someone help me with a Niaowu side mission?
Just a side mission where you have to find something in different locations.
The sightseeing one where you have to find six pennants ...
i have five. The one right at the harbour where Niaowu began,
the one near the buddha selling shop (the one from the photo in the story),
the one at the Liu Jiao shrine, the one at the Hua Xiao temple
and the one at the Golden Goose in New Paradise.
The one between Liu Jiao shrine and Golden Goose is missing i think
but i have no idea where it is. I ran around the whole map like three times.

There's another one further past the shrine. If you go through the shrine to the edge of the bridge there should be another one around another shriney looking thing.

Hm, I think that's right around where I am, too. Well I guess if you're not impressed with it now, I don't think you will be. :eek:

As for me, I got reminded of Hong Kong, before Kowloon x 5. They also had a bunch of shops but you couldn't buy anything other than move scrolls. Now you can look for Choubu-chan to get skillbooks, buy stuff in random stores to complete item sets for skill books, collect more herbs for money and skillbooks, find Smart Ball mini game, chillax around creepy wooden dummies. Even spar for cash for some reason. There is also the Rose Garden with even more gambling opportunities and the arena with a ton of fights to enjoy. So yeah, like it way more than I did Hong Kong of Shenmue II

If you go to the store "Healthy Drug" you can find this dude with sunken eyes and blood on his coat selling you drugs. I found that kinda funny.
I red your spoiler now (gotta be careful).
I insist, put more people, cool arcades, more variety of stores (doesn't matter I can't talk with them), let me eat and drink something like Yakuza, and it will be cool. But those things aren't here.

I understand all the dificulties so I won't say it's shit. They are silly and tiny things, but together they represent the silly and tiny things that make Shenmue be Shenmue.

In Bailu this didn't happened, bc it was a small place. For me, Bailu it's S1 and Niaowu S2, but in this case, S2 it's not LIKE S2. That's why I think at the end I will prefer Bailu instead.

I red your spoiler now (gotta be careful).
I insist, put more people, cool arcades, more variety of stores (doesn't matter I can't talk with them), let me eat and drink something like Yakuza, and it will be cool. But those things aren't here.

I understand all the dificulties so I won't say it's shit. They are silly and tiny things, but together they represent the silly and tiny things that make Shenmue be Shenmue.

In Bailu this didn't happened, bc it was a small place. For me, Bailu it's S1 and Niaowu S2, but in this case, S2 it's not LIKE S2. That's why I think at the end I will prefer Bailu instead.

More varied... stores? There is electronics shops, mask shops, buddhist shops, antiques, TOMATO CONVENIENCE STORE, food shops, restaurants, candy shops, toy shops, fish shops, pawn shops.. And you can buy shit from most of them. That's more variety than Yakuza. You can buy food at restaurants, just not eat there... Is that a big deal? As for the lack of people, I read somewhere in this thread that there are plenty more NPC's in the PC version. The arcades aren't as good but there are quite a few machines to play. I wish it had the SEGA games but that couldn't be arranged. But that's literally the only thing Yakuza has over this IMO.

More varied... stores? There is electronics shops, mask shops, buddhist shops, antiques, TOMATO CONVENIENCE STORE, food shops, restaurants, candy shops, toy shops, fish shops, pawn shops.. And you can buy shit from most of them. That's more variety than Yakuza. You can buy food at restaurants, just not eat there... Is that a big deal? As for the lack of people, I read somewhere in this thread that there are plenty more NPC's in the PC version. The arcades aren't as good but there are quite a few machines to play. I wish it had the SEGA games but that couldn't be arranged. But that's literally the only thing Yakuza has over this IMO.
I mean they are repeated. Don't do a lot of "shopping streets" if you are going to repeat the stores. Make it small in that case.

I'm in the pc version as well.

And one stuff I forgot. You are gonna put few ppl? Alright, but in that case, the popping it's unacceptable. I didn't care the popping in the flowers of Bailu, it's fine. But I'm going to the dojo near the hotel and I see 5 guys training, I go exactly where they are and then appears like 7 people training. We are not talking of a popping like "oh well I'm heading that way and they appeared late". I'm talking of "dude, you just appeared IN FRONT OF ME. I LITERALLY NEEDED TO STOP BECAUSE YOU DONT LET ME PASS". If you are going to put a lot of people I can stand the popping, but popping with few people? Give me a break...

I insist, it's fine. I like the game and I'm enjoying it (more Bailu tho) and I understand the limitations of budget. In case of a S4 with no money problems, then all be solved for me. But if they do (with more or less money) the exact same errors, I won't shit on the game but I will be out of it.

Now that I'm thinking of music because of the discussion on the other page, I can't help but feel (slight) disappointment that, with all the reused tracks/remastered tracks from Shenmue I and II, they decided to mix up what was used for the single recurring location between II and III, Shenhua's house. The daytime track is, to me, kinda nostalgic and such a calming song after the long journey to arrive there. Coming up on the hill in the sunset was great, and that track really sold that "this is the final stop, you made it, now have a cup of tea and relax" feeling.

I miss it not being in the game, it's now remixed with the melody being used for the "you're in Shenhua's house/Niaowu Hotel and it's time to go to bed, and also let's buy capsule toys!" theme, now.

I was at the end of Niaowu and there was something that I said I was going to be immensely let down if they didnt do something specific right then, so much to my giddy surprise it did exactly what I wanted even if it were small
I said I'm gonna be upset if they don't take the opportunity to have a scene where Ryo hammers home how important Shenhua is/pissed shes in danger by going to the spot they have their moments on the balcony every night, thank god I actually walked out there to check cause it had exactly that. It wasn't an incredible moment or anything and was rather quite small, but this is the kind of small thing I wanted to happen

I mean they are repeated. Don't do a lot of "shopping streets" if you are going to repeat the stores. Make it small in that case.

I'm in the pc version as well.

And one stuff I forgot. You are gonna put few ppl? Alright, but in that case, the popping it's unacceptable. I didn't care the popping in the flowers of Bailu, it's fine. But I'm going to the dojo near the hotel and I see 5 guys training, I go exactly where they are and then appears like 7 people training. We are not talking of a popping like "oh well I'm heading that way and they appeared late". I'm talking of "dude, you just appeared IN FRONT OF ME. I LITERALLY NEEDED TO STOP BECAUSE YOU DONT LET ME PASS". If you are going to put a lot of people I can stand the popping, but popping with few people? Give me a break...

I insist, it's fine. I like the game and I'm enjoying it (more Bailu tho) and I understand the limitations of budget. In case of a S4 with no money problems, then all be solved for me. But if they do (with more or less money) the exact same errors, I won't shit on the game but I will be out of it.

Eh, I won't let the amount of NPC's damper my enjoyment of the place. But to me personally, this is one of the best areas of any Shenmue game. And I haven't even found the SaveShenmue temple yet to explore all the crazy stuff it has on offer.

I suppose the kinds of stores are repeated but they all sell different things.

Speaking of which, I visited a pharmacist and found a good healing item, a drug that's good against diarrhea. I can just imagine Ryo eating kilos of that and then getting the worst constipation. It's funny to me.

Also, EDIT: I have been going through Niaowu ridicilously slow as I got there some days ago and you're already ahead of me. I got obsessed with collecting items and shit that I got completely lost in the world.

When i arrived Nouwu and i was looking for the father of Shenhua and i was on the point in the story where i must go to the location where the thugs are, i was thinking "nah, it should be not that far away". I was sooooo wrong. I was walking and wlaking and don't arrived the location. I was thinking like, come on it should be already around the corner. again i was sooooooo wrong. I was walking for another ten minutes and i was so stunning how biiiiiiiiiig Nouwu really is! Very impressive what the team did. I love the funny QTEs. The game is a new big masterpiece of Yu-san. I hope i can do the forklift-jobs soon.

Anyone else been getting weird "flashback thoughts" and general frustrations with Sega around the time when Shenmue 2 first came out? They should've released Shenmue 1 and 2 on PS2/XBOX and maybe Gamecube. It's already a sunken cost, just port them and see how well they sell total on a much larger install base. Also the re-releases sold 4:1 on PS4 to Xbone, so maybe there was an audience there all along. I know there was probably some Microsoft money for the exclusivity but that pretty much guaranteed the series would fail.

I still argue it was the failure of the dreamcast that cost Shenmue the most. Yeah it wouldn't have been a multi-million unit seller but should've had a solid floor of sales numbers. Most of the R&D is done, if the games sold well enough on ps2 just figure out what budget you need going forward to turn a profit. Should've been able to crank those games out every 2 years.

And fine, some wishful thinking on my part but I don't think it's that crazy, haha.

There's another one further past the shrine. If you go through the shrine to the edge of the bridge there should be another one around another shriney looking thing.

Ahhh, i will check that. But thats so cheap lol
All of the other ones made sense as sightseeing spots, they werent hidden and every location had one of them
but why would there be two of them at one shrine :D
No wonder i didnt see it

Nevermind. Apparently I told him I didn’t find it and that ended the quest. That’s pretty stupid game design. I just spoke to him and at the time didn’t have it.

Yeah i think there is some kind of timer to every side quest, like 2 ingame days or so,
after that time the side mission sign will pop up again even if you dont have the item
and then the mission will be canceled if you talk to that NPC because Ryo will say that he couldnt find it.
So dont press that yellow button twice or again just because it pops up,
only use that option if you have the item in your inventory.

Back