How would you fix Shenmue 3?

Sounds like I'll be equally as displeased with Ren's English voice if not worse than Shenmue II.

Yeah the guy they got for the Japanese voice while not as masterful as the original does a damn good job. Still felt like Ren.

Honestly I personally liked Ren in this installment, though I do agree with a part of the sentiment that he's just kind of along for the ride in this one. My best analogy to it is he's like what Han Solo is to Return of the Jedi. He's just there, but he's still very much fun to have around at least and still in character. Actually I'd argue at least Ren did do some valuable things like save Ryo's life.

Sounds like I'll be equally as displeased with Ren's English voice if not worse than Shenmue II.

Yeah the guy they got for the Japanese voice while not as masterful as the original does a damn good job. Still felt like Ren.

Honestly I personally liked Ren in this installment, though I do agree with a part of the sentiment that he's just kind of along for the ride in this one. My best analogy to it is he's like what Han Solo is to Return of the Jedi. He's just there, but he's still very much fun to have around at least and still in character. Actually I'd argue at least Ren did do some valuable things like save Ryo's life.

In Shenmue 3, he sounds like an obnoxious frat boy. Fittingly, that’s how he acts a lot of the time in the game as well.

Really? That wasn't my read at all. Again I don't know if the English voice contributed to you getting that interpretation, but on my end he acted in line to how he was in Shenmue II only with a bit more protectiveness towards Ryo.

Really? That wasn't my read at all. Again I don't know if the English voice contributed to you getting that interpretation, but on my end he acted in line to how he was in Shenmue II only with a bit more protectiveness towards Ryo.

“Look at the size of those titties!” doesn’t scream obnoxious frat boy to you? He would never say something like that in Shenmue 2.

“Look at the size of those titties!” doesn’t scream obnoxious frat boy to you? He would never say something like that in Shenmue 2.

You're not wrong that he never comments on say a woman's parts but he's always said obnoxious things even in S2 and that feels like something he'd say to a buddy he looks at as a peer, and in this case he clearly sees Ryo as a good friend now, though he never admits it to his face.

I mean i don't want to drag the thread on this. Agree to disagree. Maybe when I play the English dub I'll see what you mean more.

My only complaint is the food system.

In Shenmue 4, it would be cool if Ryo could just go to a shop and have a meal to replenish his health instead of me having to buy 100 pineapples to individually ram down his throat.

My only complaint is the food system.

In Shenmue 4, it would be cool if Ryo could just go to a shop and have a meal to replenish his health instead of me having to buy 100 pineapples to individually ram down his throat.

Listen, every single one of us knows the Yakuza comparison is beaten to death around these parts. And at the risk of bringing my billy club into this, this was one area Shenmue 3 should've taken from Yakuza where they had a seperate stamina meter and also do what you just suggested. Heck maybe also have something as infinite running that can be unlocked either though a difficult side quest or criteria.

Don’t forget to re-record Ren’s English dialogue with a different voice actor and rewrite some of his garbage, out-of-character lines.

Eh? Had no problem with Ren's lines. Most I've seen people complain about is why did they not use the original actor when they used him for Pail Toss bookie instead. But its not a deal breaker. You guys really like to nitpick

All these people wanting these story ideas; where were they during the process of this game development on Shenmue backer boards offering advice?
I recall I mentioned one thing that should have been fixed; Ryo's face. It at a certain point, was too 'small' (the proportion of his eyes, nose and mouth to his actual head'. I wrote to them in on this, and apparently it got fixed so yeah, where were all these story suggestions because I never saw them.
I know the team didnt offer much in terms of revealing story elements as they went on with development, but if story was such an important factor for you guys, where was all the communication? I didnt see any.
Personally I play the games more for the gameplay and I knew since 2010 this chapter was going to focus more internally on Ryo and Shenhua's character development with their convos

Also check my Baji Quan thread in the spoiler section I made if you want to research that kick you were asking about because I linked a Shenmue 1/2 complete moveset video in it
I really can't say we do have such strenght to do that. But, this was supposed to come from it's director, wasn't? For me, he really doesn't know why and for what people, the majority i think, do really love about Shenmue. I had all confidence in Yu Suzuki. But it didn't pay out. But i'll won't accept the blame couse i didn't suggested in game something at a board. You know this is not the way it happens. But i would, if i knew we gonna have such a mess for a game.

Eh? Had no problem with Ren's lines. Most I've seen people complain about is why did they not use the original actor when they used him for Pail Toss bookie instead. But its not a deal breaker. You guys really like to nitpick

Cool story bro.

I’ll admit to nitpicking with Ren, but you literally have something to say about any complaint with the game. And most of the time it’s a reach or straw man in order to be the game’s White Knight. It’s getting old.

Ryo saying "gorgeous" to an old lady............sweet jesus......whata hell they were thinking....

Listen, every single one of us knows the Yakuza comparison is beaten to death around these parts. And at the risk of bringing my billy club into this, this was one area Shenmue 3 should've taken from Yakuza where they had a seperate stamina meter and also do what you just suggested. Heck maybe also have something as infinite running that can be unlocked either though a difficult side quest or criteria.

Yeah. I've mentioned even Deadly Premonition, another game inspired by Shenmue (but also never acknowledged), had that too.
But we also know Yu Suzuki said he doesnt play other people's games to avoid copying things on a subconscious level. That kinda feels like a double edged sword imo but it is what it is.

Do we even have any games this gen that properly show eating? Eating seems to be a hard thing to design for.

Even Yakuza 7 took out the soda can drinking animation that Yakuza 6 finally implemented that Yakuza 1 through 5 never had but Shenmue 1 & 2 did.

But eating? Kiryu would just sit at a table, bless his food, then you'd see his back :ROFLMAO:

Judging how poor the animation for Sun eating his dim sum, I dunno if it woulda been implemented well in this game anyway...but, yeah, I'd have preferred Ryo to actually sit down and eat a meal and replenish a separate hunger meter bar, and also invite Shenhua over. But then he'd have to either run into her on the street (possible), or set aside a time with her before leaving the hotel in the morning to meet up somewhere for lunch (that woulda been cool actually).

I was gonna say maybe he shoulda had a pager but then I wondered if pagers were around in 1987 but then remembered Kiryu from Yakuza Zero had one in 1988 Japan, so yeah they did exist, even since the 60's, and 70's, just not as commercially widely used until 1990, plus, the only usable phone in Niaowu seems to be at the hotel (though I do seem to recall some being at store counters)

Cool story bro.

I’ll admit to nitpicking with Ren, but you literally have something to say about any complaint with the game. And most of the time it’s a reach or straw man in order to be the game’s White Knight. It’s getting old.

I forget who it was here but a week ago someone was accusing me of just the same thing (straw manning in order to be the game's white knight); I believe he asked me in a sort of mocking jest; 'name two things you dont like about the game', thinking as a white knight that I am, that I wouldn't dare criticize the game by acknowledging any faults let alone two. I gave him 20 faults I had with the game. Then I gave him four more.

For someone like yourself, who got a 1 day ban by the staff here for I guess in their view, being 'toxic' towards this game or whoever was trying to be positive about it, you don't really have a leg to stand on here now do you? :unsure:

When did he ever get a chance to? The most we saw Ren say anything in regards to the opposite sex was when he noticed Joy's attention on Ryo and asked "hey whats going on here?". Most of the time, he was surounded by dudes, was getting chased, or had his mind preoccupied on revealing whereabouts of this 'treasure'.

I forget who it was here but a week ago someone was accusing me of just the same thing (straw manning in order to be the game's white knight); I believe he asked me in a sort of mocking jest; 'name two things you dont like about the game', thinking as a white knight that I am, that I wouldn't dare criticize the game by acknowledging any faults let alone two. I gave him 20 faults I had with the game. Then I gave him four more.

For someone like yourself, who got a 1 day ban by the staff here for I guess in their view, being 'toxic' towards this game or whoever was trying to be positive about it, you don't really have a leg to stand on here now do you? :unsure:

I got a ban for telling a mod to go fuck himself. He gave me a warning for “having a certain tone”. All I was doing was arguing with a guy who was using the exact same “tone” as me, but even worse. You see that guy was actually name calling and even making light of mental illness. But he got no such warning. Gee, I wonder why?

I’ve been on this board probably longer than you’ve been alive, and I’m certainly not toxic. That was the first time I’ve ever been banned. But you can use whatever narrative you want to make yourself feel better.

Ryo saying "gorgeous" to an old lady............sweet jesus......whata hell they were thinking....

Lol I actually thought that was funny. Why did that bother you?

Yeah. I've mentioned even Deadly Premonition, another game inspired by Shenmue (but also never acknowledged), had that too.
But we also know Yu Suzuki said he doesnt play other people's games to avoid copying things on a subconscious level. That kinda feels like a double edged sword imo but it is what it is.

Do we even have any games this gen that properly show eating? Eating seems to be a hard thing to design for.

Even Yakuza 7 took out the soda can drinking animation that Yakuza 6 finally implemented that Yakuza 1 through 5 never had but Shenmue 1 & 2 did.

But eating? Kiryu would just sit at a table, bless his food, then you'd see his back :ROFLMAO:

Judging how poor the animation for Sun eating his dim sum, I dunno if it woulda been implemented well in this game anyway...but, yeah, I'd have preferred Ryo to actually sit down and eat a meal and replenish a separate hunger meter bar, and also invite Shenhua over. But then he'd have to either run into her on the street (possible), or set aside a time with her before leaving the hotel in the morning to meet up somewhere for lunch (that woulda been cool actually).

I was gonna say maybe he shoulda had a pager but then I wondered if pagers were around in 1987 but then remembered Kiryu from Yakuza Zero had one in 1988 Japan, so yeah they did exist, even since the 60's, and 70's, just not as commercially widely used until 1990, plus, the only usable phone in Niaowu seems to be at the hotel (though I do seem to recall some being at store counters)

I actually didn't argue to see animations of him eating at restaurants. I would've just been fine if you could choose a meal and buy at one of those eateries and the health gets replenished right there.

To clarify I personally don't mind the food/stamina system. Or rather I've tolerated it in a positive manner. I'm just discussing with the fans who preferred something else as what I see would be improvements. I'm simply being objective. Hope that doesn't sound like I'm riding the fence.

I really can't say we do have such strenght to do that. But, this was supposed to come from it's director, wasn't? For me, he really doesn't know why and for what people, the majority i think, do really love about Shenmue. I had all confidence in Yu Suzuki. But it didn't pay out. But i'll won't accept the blame couse i didn't suggested in game something at a board. You know this is not the way it happens. But i would, if i knew we gonna have such a mess for a game.

Typically when games are in development, the public has zero knowledge or say in its process. This time around things were different as it was kickstarted, so the public was let in on the dev process, for good or bad.
Like, for bad: showing the progress on the character models def had a bit of a negative impact to the public outside the fanbase. They certainly mocked and ridiculed things much like how King of Fighters XIV got mocked (before they fixed the graphics). But that was a commercial release, not a work in progress like Shenmue.
In any case, yeah, like Bloodstained, we got a window into the development process because we the gamers contributed to it financially, and in the subject of Bloodstained, I remember backers werent happy with the art style of the characters so IGA changed it up later on with improvements.
But like I said, story is a bit harder because spoilers and all. Though people could have pushed to get a general overview of what the story was going to map out; not just 'it will take place in Bailu, Baisha and Niaowu'

Please don't argue with the Church of Yu
Let the sales numbers and metacritic argue for you

I got a ban for telling a mod to go fuck himself.

I’ve been on this board probably longer than you’ve been alive, and I’m certainly not toxic. That was the first time I’ve ever been banned. But you can use whatever narrative you want to make yourself feel better.

Yeah that probably wasn't very smart on your part. I gather this sort of place isn't the type of forum to act like that. I get an overarching sense of positive from here as its main goal is to spread the continuity of this series. This isn't Gamefaqs or Resetera or something.

Yeah you're totally right. You've been on this board longer than I've been alive :rolleyes:
You're certainly trying to use that narrative to make yourself feel better so have at it I guess...

I actually didn't argue to see animations of him eating at restaurants. I would've just been fine if you could choose a meal and buy at one of those eateries and the health gets replenished right there.

To clarify I personally don't mind the food/stamina system. Or rather I've tolerated it in a positive manner. I'm just discussing with the fans who preferred something else as what I see would be improvements. I'm simply being objective. Hope that doesn't sound like I'm riding the fence.

I get it but I just have this feeling that if Suzuki had his way that if he did implement it, he would have shown the animations of him eating at a restaurant. Remember that it was said once that he wanted to make ramen noodles melt under heat in the first game if he could have had the extra time to do so.
I think people are trying to pretend that this game vs his vision, was not effected via being short on budget and that release date deadlines set by publishers doesn't mean anything (yet it absolutely does, both in games and movies) and that Yu was just like 'eff it I'll just cut things to be lazy'.

Back