Budget Is NOT An Excuse

The writing, at least in English, is really bad. I agree. Shame they don't seem to get that over in Japan. Add in the English dub and yikes. It's a shame such a small fanbase is divided over stuff like whether or not the dub and writing should be bad to keep the 'campy effect' or high quality. I think they're better off going for quality, personally... The negative articles write themselves when they keep such poor writing in the series.
Nobody wanted bad writing.

I think people are dreaming if they think they´re getting a 4th game, who the hell would want to pick up a sequel to that?

Thousands (well, 1,000+) on this board would, drop money immediately.

Piss off.

EDIT* funny how he exactly as smug and dickish as the guy in his avatar, who is clearly one of the 3 biggest assholes in the entire series.

Damn, I’m just glad I genuinely enjoyed the game and it very, very much felt like Shenmue to me. And this was without even having to lie to myself! Like the originals it’s one of these games that stays in my mind long after I’ve switched off my PS4 and I find myself wanting to get back to it asap.

It must really suck to be so disappointed with S3 after so long of waiting for it. Expectations vary from person to person I guess but I do feel bad for those people.

I absolutely feel bad for those who were let down or disappointed; I empathise with anyone who builds up expectations only to have them crashing down, ESPECIALLY when it's for something that they have no control over; it's not their fault.

I always say to go into something with 0 expectations (and you should), but I'm not all 7.5 billion people on the planet.

However, to go and bitch and moan about something because you didn't like it, then pass it off as trash for that reason, bothers me to death; subjectivity doesn't make something good or bad.

Anyone who thinks this game is good is straight up lying to themselves. The incoherent dialogue made me wince with embarassment. Very little makes sense and it´s like it´s been written for children who have no experience of human interaction, the characters are completely devoid of any sincere emotion. Nowhere is this better highlighted than with Ryo and Shenhua´s interactions with eachother. So stunted and awkward I couldn´t wait for each instance to end. Again, it´s like the people writing the dialogue have never interacted with other human beings before.

18 years I´ve waited for this.

Positives, almost felt to some degree that it was playing Shenmue at some points in Niaowu. The game ends so abruptly. The characters final lines made me cringe, why would Ryo be issuing threats to Lan Di after he just got made to look like a clown in a fight a day before? It just doesn´t make sense. I think people are dreaming if they think they´re getting a 4th game, who the hell would want to pick up a sequel to that?
Basically telling people they're lying to themselves is like telling them to not think what they like. It's a subjective view and both are accepted. That kind of attitude isn't happening here.

@mjqjazzbar I agree with you on alot of what's being said but less of the insults please. I get the frustration but let's not descend into spats like that.

Last edited:
I backed the project and am entitled to my opinion whether you agree with it or not. I dont get why theres aneed to pokice peoples views so heavily.We all want a good game and glossing over the glaring errors of S3 will only ensure the exact opposite. Unfortunately,it seems as though this community has a toxic tendancy of dogpiling anyone who doesnt tow the party line

But they aren't glaring; YOU DON'T LIKE THEM.

Furthermore, you barged in like an ahole with said opinion, instead of having a nice, friendly dialogue.

People act incredibly hostile and then wonder why they get hostility back. I tell ya...

Furthermore, you barged in like an ahole with said opinion, instead of having a nice, friendly dialogue.

People act incredibly hostile and then wonder why they get hostility back. I tell ya...
Hostile to what exactly? Do you think Ihurt the game's feelings?

Anyone who thinks this game is good is straight up lying to themselves. I think people are dreaming if they think they´re getting a 4th game, who the hell would want to pick up a sequel to that?

Yeah, that's not written with the intention of pissing people off at all...

EDIT* AND THEN, you go into the Metacritic thread and give people shit for doing their part to get a 4th game.

Yup, you have no agenda at all either, none at all...

Yeah, that's not written with the intention of pissing people off at all...
It genuinely wasn't.I read somewhere that IV would not be crowdsourced,I have serious doubts that anyone would want to pick this up for another installment after playing III (assuming theyll be an objective participant and not a pre existing fan of the series)

I backed the project and am entitled to my opinion whether you agree with it or not. I dont get why theres aneed to pokice peoples views so heavily.We all want a good game and glossing over the glaring errors of S3 will only ensure the exact opposite. Unfortunately,it seems as though this community has a toxic tendancy of dogpiling anyone who doesnt tow the party line
And you're entitled to your opinion as I've said above.

There's no policing of what's being said here other than a little bit of moderating where needed. Check the amount of threads here with critical points in this very forum.

Second drop the aggressive tone of message. Your first message was provocative and clearly looking for an arguement & you're acting surprised when someone rises to it.

If not then I apologise but its how it reads to not only just me

I'm summary, you dont like the game. Great not an issue, debate away. Carry on. Walking in here with an aggressive tone from that offset rather than engaging in a reasonable manner isn't happening.

We all want a good game and glossing over the glaring errors of S3 will only ensure the exact opposite.
There's definitely some truth to this.

The fact of the matter is that anyone who cares to play future Shenmue games needs to be concerned with the opinions of the wider gaming audience; if S3 was the game for you? Great, but the fact that it's clearly split an already small fanbase indicates that there's at least something that needs to be addressed.

Shenmue's always been polarizing, there are people who prefer the first game and those who prefer the second. I feel like S3 appeals to those who like the first game more. I personally don't think S1 is a very good game, it has too many flaws that I can't overlook, but it showed great potential that I think S2 completely capitalized on. So to me, S3 returning to S1's flawed state can't help but feel like a huge step backwards, especially considering 20 years have passed. This seems to be at the heart of the issue from the way people have been discussing the game.

The fact of the matter is that anyone who cares to play future Shenmue games needs to be concerned with the opinions of the wider gaming audience; if S3 was the game for you? Great, but the fact that it's clearly split an already small fanbase indicates that there's at least something that needs to be addressed.

Shenmue's always been polarizing, there are people who prefer the first game and those who prefer the second. I feel like S3 appeals to those who like the first game more. I personally don't think S1 is a very good game, it has too many flaws that I can't overlook, but it showed great potential that I think S2 completely capitalized on. So to me, S3 returning to S1's flawed state can't help but feel like a huge step backwards, especially considering 20 years have passed. This seems to be at the heart of the issue from the way people have been discussing the game.

There's no doubt in my mind that YS Net is on the up and up with what to improve upon; Yu even said that he couldn't fully do what he wanted to do and was a bit disappointed, the entire time during development (I do believe the, "7/10," comment he made, was genuine). But again, these aren't objective and glaring problems that NEED to be fixed, they are elements that some people like and some people don't; what SHOULD be done, is to not compromise the original vision.

Whether people will agree/like the original vision or not, is TBD (sales figures and reviews/sentiment a year from now, will be the true determining factor, once all the buzz has died down).

But tearing down this game and encouraging others to not purchase it or promote it, will not allow YS Net another opportunity to indeed, fix things up.

You have not been one of those, but Heartbeats has been; it's why you haven't received much hostility in return (because you haven't dished it yourself), but he's gotten nothing but.

And you're entitled to your opinion as I've said above.

There's no policing of what's being said here other than a little bit of moderating where needed. Check the amount of threads here with critical points in this very forum.

Second drop the aggressive tone of message. Your first message was provocative and clearly looking for an arguement & you're acting surprised when someone rises to it.

If not then I apologise but its how it reads to not only just me

I'm summary, you dont like the game. Great not an issue, debate away. Carry on. Walking in here with an aggressive tone from that offset rather than engaging in a reasonable manner isn't happening.
I really don't buy that ive been aggressive and find it hard to understand how you can accurately gauge tone through the written word alone but Iaccept your apology Spud. I wish ill will on no one except that friggin guy at wu shen hall who's dialogue you can't skip!

Last edited:
There's no doubt in my mind that YS Net is on the up and up with what to improve upon; Yu even said that he couldn't fully do what he wanted to do and was a bit disappointed, the entire time during development (I do believe the, "7/10," comment he made, was genuine). But again, these aren't objective and glaring problems that NEED to be fixed, they are elements that some people like and some people don't; what SHOULD be done, is to not compromise the original vision.

Whether people will agree/like the original vision or not, is TBD (sales figures and reviews/sentiment a year from now, will be the true determining factor, once all the buzz has died down).

But tearing down this game and encouraging others to not purchase it or promote it, will not allow YS Net another opportunity to indeed, fix things up.

You have not been one of those, but Heartbeats has been; it's why you haven't received much hostility in return (because you haven't dished it yourself), but he's gotten nothing but.
Where have Iencouraged anyone not to promote or buy the game? We are in a locked thread full of people who already have the game

Where have Iencouraged anyone not to promote or buy the game? We are in a locked thread full of people who already have the game

Says it all that people feel the need to game the system

Right there, black and white.

Nobody is, "gaming," the system; people wish to promote this title and try to get it sold more, so that we can get a 4th game. Sadly, that includes going out of our way to bump up the score that's low, due to all the other losers, who are purposely rating the game 0s and 1s, because of the Epic deal or whatever.

I’d say claiming that those that like the game are lying to themselves is most definitely asking for an argument. If you don’t agree then you are being deliberately obtuse.
A fairly mild criticism considering a few pages back someone suggested Yu Suzuki be stoned to death IMO

Back