Iwao Hazuki and Zhao Sunming. Ryo and Lan Di.

~ ひかり ~

このまま・・・時間が止まるといい
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
Hey guys, one of the things that i think is really interesting in the Shenmue story is the friendship between Iwao Hazuki and Zhao Sunming, and what is going to happen between Ryo and Lan Di, i have so many questions, we know that Iwao Hazuki is Ryo's Father and Zhao Sunming is Lan Di's father, we know that Zhao Sunming had the mirrors in one point of the story. Iwao Hazuki and Zhao Sunming.png

We know that Zhao Sunming died under mysterious circumstances, did Iwao Hazuki really killed his friend Zhao Sunming? in my opinion Iwao Hazuki was a good man, if Iwao killed Zhao Sunming maybe it was in a extreme situation, maybe Zhao Sunming became evil or something like that and Iwao didn't have much choice, but i think Iwao didn't killed Zhao Sunming, in my opinion other thing happened, and i think when Ryo and Lan Di find out the truth about what happened a lot of things will change in the story, and maybe Ryo will forget about revenge, i think it will have a big plot twist maybe in Shenmue 4 or 5.

We know that Lan Di was raised by the Chi You Men, maybe the Chi You Men twisted with Lan Di's mind, maybe he really don't know the truth about what happened.

Chapter 10 in the chapter concept art is this image
chapter10.jpg

This is really interesting, in my opinion Ryo and Lan Di will find out the truth about what happened between Iwao Hazuki and Zhao Sunming, Lan Di will regret killing Iwao Hazuki and will sacrifice himself to protect Ryo or something like that. What do you guys think? what do you think it happened between Iwao Hazuki and Zhao Sunming? what do you think will happen between Ryo Hazuki and Lan Di? Ryo will forget about revenge? how will be the end of Shenmue? let me know what you guys think about all of this, i think this is really interesting.

(Update in my post after reading comments) i don’t know who is the character in the art, what character do you think it is in the art?

Last edited:
That's most-likely Ren, not Lan Di.
I don't see Ren in this art.

The outfit looks more like Lan Di's outfit in my opinion. If it is Ren then maybe Ren will have a different outfit.

The outfit looks more like Lan Di's outfit in my opinion. If it is Ren then maybe Ren will have a different outfit.
It's early concept art from when Shenmue was supposed to be Virtua Fighter RPG and the main character was Akira instead of Ryo.

I wouldn't read too much into outfits as plenty of things have changed since then.

It's early concept art from when Shenmue was supposed to be Virtua Fighter RPG and the main character was Akira instead of Ryo.

I wouldn't read too much into outfits as plenty of things have changed since then.
Chapter 2 and 3 of the concept art Ren's outfit is the same as we see in the games but i agree with you, a lot of things have changed since then, but what is your opinion about what happened between Iwao Hazuki and Zhao Sunming? and what do you think will happen between Ryo and Lan Di?

Totally cool that you perceive it as that.

In reality, it is either Ren or a child or something; notice that Ren's headband is not on Ryo's head in 9 and appears in 10, holding the incapacitated person.

All of us have theories, but this one has a bit of beef behind it.

As for the fathers' connection, I can't comment on that now; so many things have happened and things haven't been answered, etc.

My own personal thought, is that the Zhang DLC will expand on Zhao Sunming a bit.

Just my own theory.

In reality, it is either Ren or a child or something; notice that Ren's headband is not on Ryo's head in 9 and appears in 10, holding the incapacitated person.

As for the fathers' connection, I can't comment on that now; so many things have happened and things haven't been answered, etc.

My own personal thought, is that the Zhang DLC will expand on Zhao Sunming a bit.

Just my own theory.
I don't know who is the character in the art but this part of the story of fathers and sons is something that i think we will see more in the story, i created this topic so we can share our theories about what happened in the past with Iwao Hazuki and Zhao Sunming and what will happen between Ryo and Lan Di, i think this is really interesting.

Last edited:

Just my own theory.

Wait a second. We actually know that the story DLC is going to involve Zhang? I must have missed something here!

I think the parallels between Ryo and Lan Di have been clear from the beginning and find it a little strange that neither seem to have really acknowledged this yet.

Personally I think that Iwao killed Sunming Zhao and that, upon learning this, Ryo will finally realize that the path he’s following will serve only to continue the cycle of revenge (I wouldn’t be surprised if we learn that Lan Di has a son at some point). This bodes well as without a major time-skip, it doesn’t seem feasible that Ryo will ever be able to defeat Lan Di in combat.

Regardless of what happens, I hope this ends up being more than a story about vengeance (even if it’s shown to be futile and self destructive).

I think the parallels between Ryo and Lan Di have been clear from the beginning and find it a little strange that neither seem to have really acknowledged this yet.

Personally I think that Iwao killed Sunming Zhao and that, upon learning this, Ryo will finally realize that the path he’s following will serve only to continue the cycle of revenge (I wouldn’t be surprised if we learn that Lan Di has a son at some point). This bodes well as without a major time-skip, it doesn’t seem feasible that Ryo will ever be able to defeat Lan Di in combat.

Regardless of what happens, I hope this ends up being more than a story about vengeance (even if it’s shown to be futile and self destructive).
You said that you think Iwao killed Sunming Zhao, in your opinion why Iwao killed Sunming Zhao? i think the cycle of revenge will not continue, one of the reasons i think that is because Iwao and Sunming Zhao were friends.

I definitely believe that Sunming had ulterior intentions with the mirrors which prompted Iwao to turn on him and take the mirrors for himself. An obligation to do what is right can make friends fight to the death, just ask Captain America: Civil War.

I definitely believe that Sunming had ulterior intentions with the mirrors which prompted Iwao to turn on him and take the mirrors for himself. An obligation to do what is right can make friends fight to the death, just ask Captain America: Civil War.
And what do you think will happen between Ryo and Lan Di? the cycle of revenge will continue? in your opinion how will be the end of Shenmue?

You said that you think Iwao killed Sunming Zhao, in your opinion why Iwao killed Sunming Zhao? i think the cycle of revenge will not continue, one of the reasons i think that is because Iwao and Sunming Zhao were friends.
Whilst it’s certainly possible for Lan Di to have been manipulated and tricked into blaming Iwao for his father’s death, I feel for Ryo to have a poignant enough reason to turn his back on revenge (which I think is where the story is heading), he needs to realize that Lan Di’s actions were driven by the same desire for vengeance as his own and their circumstances the same. If Lan Di murdered Iwao without knowing for certain that Iwao was guilty of murdering SZ, Ryo might feel that Lan Di is still responsible (obviously he’s responsible either way, but Ryo could at least understand why he acted the way he did as he’s embarked upon the same path and would likely have killed Lan D already if he had the power to do so).

It’s always been my theory that Iwao was forced to kill Sunming because he ended up getting possessed by Chi You (or some evil spirit related to the mirrors-and that the scene with Ryo and Fuku-san when Ryo first finds the Phoenix mirror will actually end up foreshadowing this revelation)

Last edited:
It’s always been my theory that Iwao was forced to kill Sunming because he ended up getting possessed by Chi You (or some evil spirit related to the mirrors-and that the scene with Ryo and Fuku-san when Ryo first finds the Phoenix mirror will actually end up foreshadowing this revelation)
Nice theory, maybe this will be the revelation, and what do you think will happen between Lan Di and Ryo after finding the truth? in your opinion how will be the ending of Shenmue? thanks for adding your theory in the thread. 🙂

I highly doubt Ryo will kill Lan Di, it would defeat the entire anti-vengeance message seen throughout the games. I also don't see Lan Di changing his ways, he's too far gone. It's entirely possible that Ryo may attempt to save Lan Dis life and fail to do so, its also possible I feel that Shenhua may have no choice but to kill Lan Di to save Ryo, this could also be written in a way where its accidental or necessary to protect Ryo and won't come from a place of vengeance thus protecting the games theme that clearly seems to go against revenge. Whatever they do I hope revenge isnt glorified, there's enough games out in the last 15-20 years that focus on that glorification...in fact that's basically video games/ entertainment in general.

I highly doubt Ryo will kill Lan Di, it would defeat the entire anti-vengeance message seen throughout the games. I also don't see Lan Di changing his ways, he's too far gone. It's entirely possible that Ryo may attempt to save Lan Dis life and fail to do so, its also possible I feel that Shenhua may have no choice but to kill Lan Di to save Ryo, this could also be written in a way where its accidental or necessary to protect Ryo and won't come from a place of vengeance thus protecting the games theme that clearly seems to go against revenge. Whatever they do I hope revenge isnt glorified, there's enough games out in the last 15-20 years that focus on that glorification...in fact that's basically video games/ entertainment in general.
Nice theory, thanks for sharing here. :giggle:In my opinion the cycle of vengeance will not continue, i remember when Xiuying/Lishao Tao said "You still don't understand. Martial arts are used to protect people's lives. If you use your fists otherwise, you will walk on the path of evil, too!"

Who’s to say that Lan Di can’t change his ways? Yes, he’s killed... but Ryo is currently on course to do the same and for the exact same reason.

If anything, it could be argued that Lan Di is potentially a better person than Ryo. Ryo was raised by his loving father and even after his father’s death has been guided by people who warned against following a path of vengeance. In spite of this, he’s hell bent on continuing his journey and in all likelihood would have killed Lan Di if he were anywhere near capable of doing so.

In contrast, Lan Di’s father was murdered when he was young and he was raised by a group of criminals who told him that, rightly or wrongly, Iwao was responsible for his father’s death and that he should get revenge. We’ve seen Lan Di beat people down (Fuku San, Ryo, Ren, etc), but we’ve only seen him kill once (at least as far as I can remember).

He doesn’t seem to enjoy killing, so were he to learn that he had been manipulated into killing Iwao, who’s to say that he wouldn’t feel remorse? What’s more, who’s to say he wouldn’t direct his anger towards those who had manipulated him and help Ryo?

Who’s to say that Lan Di can’t change his ways? Yes, he’s killed... but Ryo is currently on course to do the same and for the exact same reason.

If anything, it could be argued that Lan Di is potentially a better person than Ryo. Ryo was raised by his loving father and even after his father’s death has been guided by people who warned against following a path of vengeance. In spite of this, he’s hell bent on continuing his journey and in all likelihood would have killed Lan Di if he were anywhere near capable of doing so.

In contrast, Lan Di’s father was murdered when he was young and he was raised by a group of criminals who told him that, rightly or wrongly, Iwao was responsible for his father’s death and that he should get revenge. We’ve seen Lan Di beat people down (Fuku San, Ryo, Ren, etc), but we’ve only seen him kill once (at least as far as I can remember).

He doesn’t seem to enjoy killing, so were he to learn that he had been manipulated into killing Iwao, who’s to say that he wouldn’t feel remorse? What’s more, who’s to say he wouldn’t direct his anger towards those who had manipulated him and help Ryo?

Awesome observation and great food for thought!

Back