Thoughts on the story DLC

What are you struggling with? The steps are in the notebook. When the notebook tells you to do something else, usually it picks up the next day, again next to the hotel.

Thanks, I managed to get passed that bit now, I was trying to find something about the Blue spiders and had to speak to a guy at the cafe. Was getting frustrated but i am getting the flow of things now.

Didn't even know this was a thing until stumbling across this thread. Definitely won't be getting it based on the feedback so far and the fact I am not interested in anything but the ending of Shenmue. God I hope the 4th game, if we get it, is the last.

As a standalone DLC its meh. But I admit now whenever I decide to playthrough the entire game a third time it will enhance the variety in Niaowu having a subplot and all.

It also now solves one of my main complaints of the Niaowu arc and actually has Shenhua tag along with you on something which retroactively makes her a bit more involved in the second half of the game. Plus I love that we can change her clothes which I hope is available in Bailu on a third replay. I'm not holding my breath but do we know if we can get her additional clothes to wear?

I don't deny though, they kind of missed a golden opportunity to do one last big branching conversation with Shenhua during the "date". I get its prerecorded dialogue, however just an observation.

As a standalone DLC its meh. But I admit now whenever I decide to playthrough the entire game a third time it will enhance the variety in Niaowu having a subplot and all.

It also now solves one of my main complaints of the Niaowu arc and actually has Shenhua tag along with you on something which retroactively makes her a bit more involved in the second half of the game. Plus I love that we can change her clothes which I hope is available in Bailu on a third replay. I'm not holding my breath but do we know if we can get her additional clothes to wear?

I don't deny though, they kind of missed a golden opportunity to do one last big branching conversation with Shenhua during the "date". I get its prerecorded dialogue, however just an observation.
Agree, it was a nice change of pace to see Shenhua in Niaowu actually... doing stuff and contributing some way to the plot. Brilliant idea team. I was saddened they didn’t utilize the “date” for some more development opportunity, but hey, gotta get those DLC shekels..

Finally finished this DLC. Honestly, this would've been great to have on the initial playthrough as it creates a connection between Bailu and Niaowu (and Hong Kong). It may not seem like much by itself, but having a longer sidequest to chip away at during Niaowu, which adds more story than any other sidequest in the game, would've helped a lot.

The sloppy translation towards the beginning of the quest was disappointing, but it got better as it progressed (in all aspects) and by the end I was like...that was pretty cool, and would've been better the first time through.

I enjoyed the two SEGA rooms in the hideout :geek:

This feels like it was a main story quest that got turned into DLC for profit, Blue Spiders vs Red Snakes sounds like the mini beginning version of the 3rd area factions wars we were supposed to get involved in but didn't get.
It feels like a sidequest that may have been in the main game originally, but it doesn't feel like main content associated with the warring factions of Baisha. Feels completely unrelated to be honest.

I am not interested in anything but the ending of Shenmue. God I hope the 4th game, if we get it, is the last.
Well that's depressing. I'm glad I haven't lost my passion for the series :coffee:

I just finished this... thing... and I can't really say I'm disappointed, because I am already used to S3 sucking in the storytelling department. But this was... Honestly, I thought story - wise this was just as weak as the main game, if not worse.

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't the two Blue Spider thugs not only in the Yanlang fights in Bailu but also in the Mr Muscles fights in the Red Snakes hideout? So those guys are Red Snakes and Blue Spiders at the same time?

With all the character models reused and no way to access this from the main menu, this feels almost like a sidequest that has been ripped out of the main game and sold as "dlc" to rip off the fan base.

I liked the Battle Rally dlc and think it is worth the extra money but I'm mad I wasted money on this. If I hadn't already bought the season pass in November, I would not be sure if I'm going to buy the Merry Cruise dlc.

Also, if they decide to do a "second season" of dlc for S3, I'm not sure I'll support it after this, tbh. It depends on the quality of Merry Cruise, I guess.

So far, we have one dlc which was great and one that was a complete... Out of respect for Yu, I'm not gonna finish this sentence. Don't want to use foul language about anything Yu made.

Completed it, felt a tad recycled tbh, besides the
Romantic dinner?
Will be waiting for a trophy guide since I somehow skipped all of extra ones.
You mean the
dinner where the guy who drops off the note is essentially walking into the corner of the room. I can't believe Ryo falls for the fake shoulder tap every. single. time.

Yeah, just checked it on YT again, they're not in that fight. Still a horrible dlc though, which feels like it was part of the main game originally and sold as a "dlc" to rip off the fans. I'm aware this may not have been Yu's decision to make, though.

Yeah, just checked it on YT again, they're not in that fight. Still a horrible dlc though, which feels like it was part of the main game originally and sold as a "dlc" to rip off the fans. I'm aware this may not have been Yu's decision to make, though.

Obviously you’ve got the right to your opinion but “horrible” is definitely not what came to mind when playing it. I enjoyed it.

I don't know. Sure, I'm happy for the people who enjoyed it, but this felt like a portion of the main game being cut from the main game to rip us off by selling it as dlc.

Also the dlc forced me to replay a large portion of Niaowu which felt even worse than during my first playthrough, which kind of further worsened my opinion of S3.

I really dislike this dlc and I would not be getting the next dlc if I hadn't already bought the season pass because of this. The fact that the voice acting did not match the actual places in the side quest further solidifies my suspicion that it was cut from the main game.

I just checked a YT video because it didn't seem like it was worth reinstalling S3 for. So Zhang asks you to investigate the CYM and then immediately gets kidnapped, then you spend the rest of the DLC looking for him and never learn anything about the CYM? Seems right in line with S3: confusing, poorly written, and a pale imitation of what came before. It's just embarrassing at this point.

If this is the kind of content we can expect from the series going forward then why even bother?

The (English) voice acting talks about the Vendor Avenue but you really have to go to the Promenade. Notebook says Promenade.

I don't know. Sure, I'm happy for the people who enjoyed it, but this felt like a portion of the main game being cut from the main game to rip us off by selling it as dlc.

Also the dlc forced me to replay a large portion of Niaowu which felt even worse than during my first playthrough, which kind of further worsened my opinion of S3.

I really dislike this dlc and I would not be getting the next dlc if I hadn't already bought the season pass because of this. The fact that the voice acting did not match the actual places in the side quest further solidifies my suspicion that it was cut from the main game.

Whenever it was cut from the main game or not, I still feel like that season pass has been rather pathetic when it comes to content compared to the pricing (15€).

And while I know some people will tell me "The last DLC still has to drop" (spoiler, it'll just be another loads of mini-games that may already be in the game in other locations) or "Battle Rally has a nice replay value" (but is still a basic reuse of assets and stuff they already had in place), I cant help to remember that 15€ is the price of a game... Or a meaty content expansion in other games. The Witcher 3 for 20€ had an expansion that was a shitload of hours, an entirely new area and lot of story content.

Back