How would you feel if Microsoft funded Shenmue IV in exchange for exclusivity?

Let's take it a step further and say specifically exclusive to the Xbox Series X. Would this be a deal breaker for you? I'm aware of the irony of this scenario with them passing on funding S3 fwiw.
If it also didn't come to PC, then yes it would be a dealbreaker. As much as I love shenmue, I usually buy video game consoles 4+ years after they just release. I just got a ps4 but played Shenmue 3 on my PC since it is more capable. I wouldn't buy a console just for 1 game no matter how much I love the series. I could use that money to travel to Dobuita instead ;)

I couldn't care less, tbh. I'll buy any system it's exclusive to. My days of console fan-boying are behind me. I do think Sony has a better line-up of exclusives, but these days every system pretty much offers the same games.

If it's going to be on a next gen console, I really don't mind where it goes. On the one hand, Cedric suggesting that today was sort of a bummer.
(Like you @RetroLord120, I don't want to buy a console for one game, especially as I more or less did that for S3. I've converted to Xbox after the Dreamcast died.)

That said, if that means it'd perform better and it would make 5 more likely (vs. rushing out 4 on a soon-outdated, thus forgettable console and hurting sales), I'll take it on any practical system.

I couldn't care less, tbh. I'll buy any system it's exclusive to. My days of console fan-boying are behind me. I do think Sony has a better line-up of exclusives, but these days every system pretty much offers the same games.

Pretty much this. I bought a PS4 just for Shenmue 3, but I'm now enjoying everything it has to offer.
If Shenmue 4 comes to Xbox, great. I'll most likely be getting the Series X anyway.

On a side note, I am upset Microsoft passed on funding Shenmue 3, especially with Phil Spencer saying it was the most requested sequel by Xbox fans. He said something about focusing more on first party titles. Which is odd seeing as how there really hasn't been many since he made that comment. What irked me even more though were Xbox fans blaming Yu Suzuki for making it console exclusive to PS4 :rolleyes:

I’d been wondering this myself. Although not a game that’s going to sell millions of units, one thing that Shenmue does have going for it is it’s die-hard fan base and it’s still a recognizable name in the industry. With the first few months often being make or break in the console wars, exclusivity for Shenmue 4 could be worth quite a bit, especially if they can release it early in the new console’s life cycle.

Personally, I’d prefer it to be released on PS5 as I think Sony have the best back catalogue and their track record suggests that they will once again come out on top, but if Microsoft end up offering significantly more for exclusivity, I certainly wouldn’t begrudge Yu’s decision if he was taking a much better deal.

I’d been wondering this myself. Although not a game that’s going to sell millions of units, one thing that Shenmue does have going for it is it’s die-hard fan base and it’s still a recognizable name in the industry.
I was thinking about that. Although most people might classify Shenmue 3 as "essentially an indie game", when the name Shenmue is brought up it is brought up as a big title, despite it's sales. This is probably due to it's legacy, but the fact is Shenmue is still a name which can be brought up among the media and still garner lots of press.

im not a fan of exclusive games but i understand there importance.

in the unlikely event shenmue 4 only came to the xbox series x, i would be willing to buy that console secondhand just to play s4 and then sell the lot on at a slight loss (i'll need to re-buy a xbox to play halo6 lol).. its sounds like a lot of hassle but over the years ive done it several times before with other consoles just to play games series i follow.

Last edited:
in the unlikely event shenmue 4 only came to the xbox series x, i would be willing to buy that console secondhand just to play s4 and then sell the lot on at a slight loss (i'll need to re-buy a xbox to play halo6 lol).. its sounds like a lot of hassle but over the years ive done it several times before with other consoles just to play games series i follow.

Wouldn't it be worth just keeping the console? Why pay every time you want to replay a game? :unsure: Say you sell it then two days later you wanted to play a said game again... 🤪

Wouldn't it be worth just keeping the console? Why pay every time you want to replay a game? :unsure: Say you sell it then two days later you wanted to play a said game again... 🤪

nah, i rarely replay games.. if i do its normally several years down the line.

anyway i would rather have/keep a ps5 over a series x. luckily for me, it sounds like s4 is coming to ps5.

I bought original Xbox for Shenmue 2. I bought PS4 for Shenmue 3 so wherever Shenmue 4 goes I'll be buying that console. Personally, if it *has* to be exclusive I prefer an Xbox console over a Playstation console, but at the end of the day I'm flexible. Shenmue is literally one of two game franchises I play and am willing to purchase a console for anyway.

I bought a PS4 slim just for Shenmue 3 so probably but they would have to make a much smaller version since there's no way I am storing that big tower PC looking design of the Xbox Series X

• Haha
Reactions: red
Back