Recent content by Kion

1. Kion

Shenmue Animation Debug Thread

Glad someone is making progress. Right now I'm severely limited by the lack of mature ThreeJS IK tools. And to quickly demonstrate this. I have the normal skeleton ontop. And I can apply the FK rotations to that model and it will work. And I have the dirty-hack removed rotation skeleton on...
  2. Kion

Now that we have extremely high confidence in the values being produced by the parser, we can shift our attention to implementation. Right now in Threejs, I have the model loaded in, with the hands and feet target connect with an IK solver. Right now I'm using 20 iterations and that seems to be...
  3. Kion

Okay, pretty big update with a pretty huge fix. And with this fix I guess I will proudly wear the "dunce" hat. The video is pretty much non-nonsensical since it was my brain being blown by how the game manages key frames. Which I will attempt to explain here. As stated multiple times, the...
  4. Kion

Making some notes about the issues that are on the table at the moment. This is a stub, so I'll come back and try to add more information and notes about each point. 1. Parsing Confidence [ ] Quick summary: For parsing confidence. Basically we can take the approach for reading the...
  5. Kion

Finally some good news. For a while I've been hypothesizing about the possibility of solving the IK for each frame and converting that into an FK animation. The problem is that talk is easy, action takes time. And with that I've managed to talk the walk animation, solve the rotation for the...
  6. Kion

I'm not sure if this went better than expected or not. What's going on here is that we have the Ryo model with removed pre-rotation on the bottom, and then the vanilla mt5 model above it with 50% opacity. What's going on here is that we're using the rig with the removed pre-rotation to solve for...
  7. Kion

Last night I managed to apply these changes. I scaled down the sample rig to 1:1 from 400:1 to be able to compare apples to apples if needed. After doing that I checked the values for the solver once the scale was adjusted, and i still got the same different result. From this I decided to then...
  8. Kion

After a few quick tests I am not getting the same results between the sample rig and the Shenmue rig. In the case of the sample rig, the girl model bends her knee behind her for the first frame, which look correct. While the Shenmue rig seems to just have Ryo's leg straight and pulled back...
  9. Kion

I have two main concerns at the moment. The first is the spline/bezier interpolation. Not because it's important, but mostly because it's vexing. In terms of pragmatic application, linear interpolation is going to be fine, it's mostly the prevalence of the easing values in the animation. This...
  10. Kion

Added some more debug tools to the Shenpoo repository. At this point LemonHaze's plugin might make a lot of this obsolete, but hopefully tools like this make it easier to analyze and break down the animations. For the viewer I added a small feature that let's you select which frame of an...
  11. Kion

One small improvement: added some axis helpers to the viewport to make it easier to track forward, back, left, right, to act as a reference for working with the lookup between motn and mt5 bone numbers. And then we run into a problem with interpolation. I started to fill in the table with...
  12. Kion

Still trying to work on steps that aren't too time consuming. Last night I went ahead and wrote a script that would write the animation values to a table to make it easier to debug. I think I have some small quality of life improvements to make on the style of the table. - Add (short) bone...
  13. Kion

One thing that I've been skipping over the is easing function. And for now I think it might be a good idea to be lazy and continue to skip over it. The debug tool I want to implement is a table that will take the values read from the motn file, solve for all of the in-between frames and then...
  14. Kion

With my testing before I was really focused on trying to find the most direct way possible to try and implement the animation. Which means I didn't pay attention to a lot of the details, and I'm making it a point to document the aspects I skipped over before. Thanks for the pull request, I went...
  15. Kion

I'm still working with a somewhat constrained schedule. For now I'll keep working with baby steps in terms of implementing debug tools while working towards the wider objective of replicating the IK solver. I went ahead and implemented something that I've been pretty lazy about in terms of...
Back