Recent content by Suiryu

1. Suiryu

I'm looking for a Yu Suzuki quote.

Hello! I heard someone describe a quote from Yu Suzuki a while back about how the fundamental difference between arcade and console game design was the amount of time you had to play and that was something he kept in mind while designing Shenmue. Unfortunately, it's kind of impossible to Google...
  2. Suiryu

Shenmue World Issue 1 Kickstarter!

I can't afford to back right now, the US shipping cost is so high, but I'm eager to back it when I can. This looks great!
  3. Suiryu

Would you take a 'dumbed-down' Shenmue 4 over the alternative?

This is such a funny post, you clearly think that the third option is the best and everyone is excited for the first. I'm excited for the first as well, and I hope that's what Shenmue 4 ends up being (new music, obviously, but reused assets could go super far in other areas).
  4. Suiryu

An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

I was almost certain that it was going to be a Shenmue 1 & 2 announcement happening at today's Direct, but with that out of the window... 4? I'm almost willing to believe it.
  5. Suiryu

SuperEyePatchWolf: "Shenmue III is a terrible game and I've wasted my life"

I agree with a lot of his specific complaints about Shenmue 3's combat, and I agree with some of the complaints about its progression, but I think he takes a lot of these things to strange conclusions. Like, yes, the reverse body check probably should have had a different animation, and yes...
  6. Suiryu

The reveal of Unreal Engine 5 and the PS5 makes me hope Shenmue IV will be a thing

Part of me's excited because UE5 would represent a huge boon for S4's graphical quality, and it should be easier to work with - having to come up with level of detail models wastes a huge amount of time for art teams - but I'm also nervous that another large technical shift will mean that a lot...
  7. Suiryu

Yu Suzuki Interview (IGN Japan): Reflections on S3, Plans for S4

I think this is worth focusing in on. Shenmue is a niche game, for sure, but that doesn't mean that it has to be an unsuccessful game. As game development gets exponentially more expensive, it feels like we're seeing a re-emergence of middle-market games, and it seems like Shenmue could find its...
  8. Suiryu

Yu Suzuki Interview (IGN Japan): Reflections on S3, Plans for S4

I'm generally positive on this interview, lots of worthwhile quotes and exciting propositions, but this bit stuck out: Maybe that would have been for the best.
Back