I'm looking for a Yu Suzuki quote.

Steam
SageWD
Hello! I heard someone describe a quote from Yu Suzuki a while back about how the fundamental difference between arcade and console game design was the amount of time you had to play and that was something he kept in mind while designing Shenmue. Unfortunately, it's kind of impossible to Google this and find it myself. Does anybody know what that was from?

Hello! I heard someone describe a quote from Yu Suzuki a while back about how the fundamental difference between arcade and console game design was the amount of time you had to play and that was something he kept in mind while designing Shenmue. Unfortunately, it's kind of impossible to Google this and find it myself. Does anybody know what that was from?
Yu has mentioned it in several interviews over the years, but here's a place where he talked about it, from his interview for this year's Sega Historia book:
YS: I'd been working on arcade games for a long time, and those tended to be built around a 3-minute play time, right? In order to increase income, an effort was made to make games that average less than three minutes. However, I thought I'd like to try making a game you could play for 30 minutes, 3 days, or even a week, and convey a message gradually during play.
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2021/08/march-2021-yu-suzuki-interview-part-two.html

Last edited:
Back