Random Gaming Thoughts

Are these PC parts strong enough to power arcade cabinet?

CPU- i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard-
MSI Z97-GAMING 5

RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X 8 GB (2 x 4 GB)

Video Card- MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 970 4 GB

Power Supply- Corsair AX860i 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX
Not sure if you ever got an answer, but it entirely depends on what systems you want to emulate/games you want to run on it.

You can find tons of DIY projects where people have built brilliant arcade cabinets completely from scratch, powered by nothing more than a Raspberry Pi. Needless to say, the parts you've listed blow anything a RPI can do out of the water (at the expense of a much higher power consumption).

I think you should be fine emulating everything up to PS2 era, maybe a bit more. In terms of native PC games you'll still be able to run a substantial amount of titles on it, but more recent releases with heavy graphics will obviously struggle.

Since we were talking about Half Life's 25th anniversary and some of it's spin offs, there is one video game in the making by an Australian and New Zealand studio Deep Field that bears striking resemblance to Valve's gaming hallmark. It's called Abiotic Factor and upon watching some gamers playtest it on Youtube, I fell in love with it right away, not only because it combines Half Life elements with survival, but also because of this:

Whatcha think?

Not sure if you ever got an answer, but it entirely depends on what systems you want to emulate/games you want to run on it.

You can find tons of DIY projects where people have built brilliant arcade cabinets completely from scratch, powered by nothing more than a Raspberry Pi. Needless to say, the parts you've listed blow anything a RPI can do out of the water (at the expense of a much higher power consumption).

I think you should be fine emulating everything up to PS2 era, maybe a bit more. In terms of native PC games you'll still be able to run a substantial amount of titles on it, but more recent releases with heavy graphics will obviously struggle.

Yeah I'm primarily gonna be playing old school arcade games so these components are actually overkill. 7th gen at the most and below. If I want to play anything newer I'll just hook the console up straight to the monitor.

Kinda surprising to see this is still a decent setup. I built this PC 10 years ago.

Definitely.

While in terms of technological progress, the second you buy new hardware it's almost considered obsolete, building a decent setup can still last you a long time - provided you have reasonable demands.

Oh man, the german studio Piranha Bytes that made Gothic 1, 2, 3, Risen 1, 2, 3 and Elex
is getting closed by Embracer / THQ Nordic after 27 years because of Embracers bad financial situation.
All of the developers contracts ended in december 2023 and the head of the studio already left in november 2023.

ican.png

A guy ported Quake 2 engine with Q3 lightmaps to Atari Falcon home computer... it looks awesome and makes me miss software renderers so much.
source: computinghistory.org.uk
(...) based on a Motorola 68030 CPU clocked at 16MHz with a 56000 DSP coprocessor. (...)
The 32-bit processor's performance was constrained by being attached to a 16-bit data bus (similar to the Macintosh LCII and 386SX PCs).

Part 2 first for a from zero to hero insight:

Part 1, more software rendering with lightmaps and no opengl:

Bonus - Half Life assets Showcase:

Reactions: red
Anyone else still refuse to pay $70 for a game or buy DLC? Or just me? I've payed that much and more in the past + would still make an exception for Shenmue, but I don't know, just not feeling it anymore despite inflation.
I'm really struggling with this! It's put me off buying most games at launch - beyond the other reasons of patches & updates. I'm buying Final Fantasy VII Rebirth near launch as I'm getting the Deluxe Edition at £75 rather than £100 - The extra content isn't that great but it's my favourite franchise. But even that causes plenty of anxiety as it has a Pre-order bonus at GAME, I went to try Pre-Order it & they've told me it's sold out. They tried to sell me a standard copy for £70 and I flat out refused.

Then as mentioned we're paying premium prices for games that are rough and need patching but then aren't even complete! If we're lucky we may get a Complete Edition 6-12 months down the line but even that is a gamble as often it is just the base game with a code for the DLC. I'm finding the industry more toxic by the week and while I still believe the quality of the product is still decent I hate being a consumer for it.

With an all digital future on the horizion I think that will be the nail in the coffin for me - I'll still buy games in time here and there but I just can't justify paying over £15 for a Digital game - One that I may own the liscense for butcan be taken away in an instance. I have bought digital Xbox game so I'll be interested to see how that fairs beyond the consoles impending doom.

Fictional Future Headline:

Shenmue 2 Xbox Edition now Heading to PS2!

After Phil Spencer announced the Xbox division will no longer be hardware based, but focus more on Software as a Service. It was announced that many of the games previously seen as Xbox exclusive over the last two decades will now be coming to other platforms. One of the many titles retroactively getting ports is the Xbox version of the cult classic, Shenmue 2. Now officially being ported to the PS2 as a special physical edition. Microsoft is also looking at possibly porting it to the Gamecube. When asked why people would buy a PS2 version of the game that's already available on PS4, Mr. Spencer began to cackle maniacly before pointing agressively at the journalist and screaming... "Because I got a tat of it!" He then proceeded to roll up his sleeve and produce proof. More information to come in the following weeks.

/\ i really hope microsoft don't stop making consoles.

if xbox quits, it will be terrible for all gamers. sony will dominate the market and the prices of consoles and new physical games will go crazy. + who knows, sony might kill off the second hand game market somehow? ( a digital key to "unlock" the game disc?).

That was the plan of MS after all since the late 90s. At first, they wanted to buy Nintendo but Nintendo declined so they had to make the Xbox. Their master plan has always been to control the market via Software and not hardware. Maybe they trying that again. With game pass, they have the ultimate Trojan horse for that matter.

I do not think they give up though. Many rumors are floating around about a new generation of Xbox consoles in 2026.

I feel like Microsoft figures just relying on gamepass is their only viable thing now. If they didn’t keep making such dumb decisions that they constantly have to backpedal on or actually use all the studios they buy up to make stuff, I think they’d fare a lot better. Games like Hi-Fi Rush are far and few between.

The whole situation at Xbox seems so self inflicted it's difficult to watch. The OG Xbox was never going to be a success as people were unsure of it and happy sticking with PS2/GC. Xbox were then handed a golden opportunity as Sony got arrogant off the back of the PS2. For the next few years with the 360, xbox were in their prime. They had game after game of great titles in a variety of genre's and the majority of people were happy with the platform going forward. Then, it was time for a change of management. This saw a completely new direction for the 360 that saw them chase the success of the Wii. Slowly but surely, xbox were losing their grip as less games were being made for us and more games were being made for the casual audience. This all came to ahead with the xbox one reveal and to add insult to injury, they threw in a bunch of DRM nonsense to their hardware.

Sony were now able to coast their way up to the top with little trouble and xbox were left in ruins. Rightfully so, xbox changed the team and a new person was put in charge. Someone who understood gaming and knew the task in hand. However, despite this, the new team seemed to want a new direction for xbox. Something to leave their mark on it and maybe find the future of gaming. They started putting games on PC and buying up studios when they could. This wasn't a bad start, as it was putting the foundations in place for a brighter future for their console.

Fast forward a few years and in my opinion the problems were starting to show. Game Pass, the Netflix for gaming. A subscription service that allows you to play all their releases and more for a monthly fee. For customers, this sounds great. For them? I'd argue it's a great way to undermine you're own exclusive line up. Why pay full price when you could just pay for a one month subscription to Game Pass to play it then ditch the service?

With all the news lately of xbox sort of going third party in some form, it's got me wondering. Why on earth didn't they just go back to what worked with the 360? Even before the buyouts, they had a decent selection of dormant games of different genre's just doing nothing. In fact, we still haven't seen any of them to this day and I doubt we will. If the rumours are true, it's yet another way of them undermining their own hardware and system. I don't see why any third party studio would bother releasing on their hardware if gamers are savy enough to just buy a playstation and can play most of the xbox library there.

Utter madness. Just go back to the early 360, and focus on making good games.

Be cool for Sega to maybe dip their toes back into hardware, if Microsoft really does slowly exit. Poetic reversal of industry roles from 2001 onward.

Yes, please:

Dreamcast mini with Saturn/Model 3/Naomi/Naomi2 compatibility, SD card slot for multi-game packs and new games, plus upgraded via USB-C ports. Somewhat of a Nintendo-method by not directly going after Sony straight on...?

I don't think they'll leave as such as they'll need something for Game Pass, so it will probably just become a vehicle for that. I don't know though. Think I'm more annoyed that they're taking a huge chunk of the industry and it's history with them.

I would love to know just what is going on behind the scenes there, because it feels like they're struggling to keep teams or something due to the lack of content. Feels like we've been saying for years "the games are coming" but they never do.

Back