110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be unpopular or even treason but I prefer Shenmue closed in 5/6 chapters. Maybe a prequel/sequel with new cast and storyarc.. Im not a big fan of too longstanding exploited series.

Downtown Nekketsu is inmoral not having Shenmue skins.
You also are right in that, but well, at least with Shenmue at the moment that not happen xD.

You also are right in that, but well, at least with Shenmue at the moment that not happen xD.
im not sure anymore! XD seriously speaking this ride its twilight zone style. I saw recently a fair number of kids with Sonic tshirt, bags, beach towels and stuff. lets say "never say never"(i hate this ilogic expression and the faces of people sayin' it)

It's incredibly hard to believe and accept Yu Suzuki and Shenmue may finally be in good hands, after all these years. I mean if Wanted: Dead or Alive really got a $20mm budget, I think Ys Net is set.

If this announcement comes to fruition it‘s going to be such a relief as a fan not to be worried about silly Kickstarter controversies, fundraising totals, or any of the other junk that came with having to ask the general public to fund development of Shenmue 3. Just a simple game announcement by a developer/publisher and teaser trailers actually ready to be shown will be a major breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
I know I'm dreaming, but... it would even be better if Shenmue 4 has been under development since 3 wrapped and it was ready to go soon (shipping this year). Even better, if funding was also made available for Shenmue 5 with the initial deal. That way they could start developing 5 as soon as 4 ships.

I realize that this won't be the case.. but I also lived for a long time in a world that Shenmue 3 wasn't possible.

It doesn't hurt to dream.

I know I'm dreaming, but... it would even be better if Shenmue 4 has been under development since 3 wrapped and it was ready to go soon (shipping this year). Even better, if funding was also made available for Shenmue 5 with the initial deal. That way they could start developing 5 as soon as 4 ships.

I realize that this won't be the case.. but I also lived for a long time in a world that Shenmue 3 wasn't possible.

It doesn't hurt to dream.
Even better would be it having been in development since 3 and still needing a year or two. Most of the problems with 3 were it not having enough time in the oven imo. The longer they have to work the better, a game like Shenmue is HARD to make.

Even better would be it having been in development since 3 and still needing a year or two. Most of the problems with 3 were it not having enough time in the oven imo. The longer they have to work the better, a game like Shenmue is HARD to make.

While the game and ending clearly was rushed out the door, I actually think having an inexperienced team and building systems from scratch and a fluctuating budget were more to blame then pure development time.

Now systems are created and they are familiar with UE, getting solid publisher backing is final piece in hopefully a much more seamless development.

I think there many problems in S3 dev.

First, of course, the budget. Let's remember that Shenmue 3 had roughly the same budget as the first Yakuza. A game that is 15 years younger, and way less detailed and way smaller in scale compared to Shenmue 3.

There was of course a very short dev time for such a game. Especially when you are mounting a brand new team. Usually, when you mount a new team, you spend a few months on internal projects, that you will never release, but just so the team can get used to each other, used to the tools etc... So yeah, too little time to create such a game with such scale.

Also, I've heard that creating an old style kind of game is harder than we think. Because todays tools and engine are made to be very practical about current and modern gaming, but if you want to have an old school feel, you have to put in a little more work (I've heard that, but cannot say 100% if it's true).

And also "poor management". I'm not saying this like Yu Suzuki is a bad manager per se, but obviously, when you didn't have to carry and manage such a big project for 15 years, it's hard to get back on the job, especially when the gaming industry and gaming tools evolved so so much. So Probably that Yu Suzuki was lost at first when trying to give a direction, because he had to find the time to get up to date.

And with all that, they still delivered a game that I consider good and more than decent and that felt very special.

So now, I'm sure that Yu and his team learned from the mistakes they made during Shenmue 3, and they have alot of stuff, features and mechanics already developed that can be reutilised and reworked a bit.

If they are given a proper budget and enough time, I'm sure that Shenmue 4 will be a very great game.

I think there many problems in S3 dev.

First, of course, the budget. Let's remember that Shenmue 3 had roughly the same budget as the first Yakuza. A game that is 15 years younger, and way less detailed and way smaller in scale compared to Shenmue 3.

There was of course a very short dev time for such a game. Especially when you are mounting a brand new team. Usually, when you mount a new team, you spend a few months on internal projects, that you will never release, but just so the team can get used to each other, used to the tools etc... So yeah, too little time to create such a game with such scale.

Also, I've heard that creating an old style kind of game is harder than we think. Because todays tools and engine are made to be very practical about current and modern gaming, but if you want to have an old school feel, you have to put in a little more work (I've heard that, but cannot say 100% if it's true).

And also "poor management". I'm not saying this like Yu Suzuki is a bad manager per se, but obviously, when you didn't have to carry and manage such a big project for 15 years, it's hard to get back on the job, especially when the gaming industry and gaming tools evolved so so much. So Probably that Yu Suzuki was lost at first when trying to give a direction, because he had to find the time to get up to date.

And with all that, they still delivered a game that I consider good and more than decent and that felt very special.

So now, I'm sure that Yu and his team learned from the mistakes they made during Shenmue 3, and they have alot of stuff, features and mechanics already developed that can be reutilised and reworked a bit.

If they are given a proper budget and enough time, I'm sure that Shenmue 4 will be a very great game.

I agree with you, and i feel that Yu Suzuki wanted to do more with the game but probably because of budget, time and other things he had to finish the game, even Baisha is not in the game. I feel this way because of interviews with Yu Suzuki that i saw, especially the one that he said that he give 7.5 for Shenmue III.

In my opinion a Shenmue game is not something easy to do, a lot of details like unique NPCs with different designs, voices, dialogues, routines and much more. The Shenmue style and world have many details so i feel that it is not something easy to do, specially with a limited budget.

As you said probably Yu-san and his team learned from the mistakes, and now Yu-san and his team have a lot of stuff, features and mechanics already developed that can be reutilised and reworked a bit, probably for Shenmue IV some things will be easier because of that.

To me Shenmue III is like a miracle given all the things that happened before and during development of the game. It is a kickstarter game, limited budget and much more. Shenmue III it is like a miracle and a very special game to me, some things could have been better? Yeah, but it is a special game to me.

I agree about Shenmue IV, with a proper budget and enough time i believe that Shenmue IV will be a very great game.

Last edited:
Well what with the rumoured "super project" game Sega is doing with crazy taxi and jet set radio maybe they should throw some mills over to yu suzuki. Like what has been said above:

1. Shenmue HD sold well
2. Shenmue 3 is the highest funded Kickstarter game ever. Nothing has come close since or duplicated that same success. Shenmue 3 also did fine in sales.
3.The Shenmue Anime did far better than initially expected, the reception has been overall positive it's gained new fans and there's now a choice for people to catch up with the story if curious either watching the anime or playing games.

There's not much else for shenmue to prove at this point. The name/brand still carries value and can be profitable if the focus is in the right places.

But now the anime has come to a close it'll be interesting to see what happens now with 110 in the next few weeks/months whether they drop any more hints or teases which personally I think they will. :) The future is brighter than its ever been for us and the franchise and that's because of everyone here and beyond.

I'd also like to say to everyone in the dojo thank you for all the countless years of hard work, because of your passion and love for the series you kept it alive when many left it for dead. We've come so far and have achieved what most would of once considered impossible. You've all made this possible today with your combined voices and we'll finish the journey together.
💪👍

Last edited:
Well what with the rumoured "super project" game Sega is doing with crazy taxi and jet set radio maybe they should throw some mills over to yu suzuki. Like what has been said above:

1. Shenmue HD sold well
2. Shenmue 3 is the highest funded Kickstarter game ever. Nothing has come close since or duplicated that same success. Shenmue 3 also did fine in sales.
3.The Shenmue Anime did far better than initially expected, the reception has been overall positive it's gained new fans and there's now a choice for people to catch up with the story if curious either watching the anime or playing games.

There's not much else for shenmue to prove at this point. The name/brand still carries value and can be profitable if the focus is in the right places.

But now the anime has come to a close it'll be interesting to see what happens now with 110 in the next few weeks/months whether they drop any more hints or teases which personally I think they will. :) The future is brighter than its ever been for us and the franchise and that's because of everyone here and beyond.

I'd also like to say to everyone in the dojo thank you for all the countless years of hard work, because of your passion and love for the series you kept it alive when many left it for dead. We've come so far and have achieved what most would of once considered impossible. You've all made this possible today with your combined voices and we'll finish the journey together.
💪👍

The hard work means nothing if you guys don't keep us going, engaging in the content and help us getting the word out there.

So right back at you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back