A very strange (easily missable) cutscene with hotel owner.

I got this as well. After it was over, I just sat there, took in whatever the hell just happened, and laughed my ass off. It's maybe my favorite scene in the game.

I’ve seen both scenes. I also assumed they were both Easter eggs but Ryo’s line after seeing Delin’s showing off brawling uppercut 2 is bizarre-

My interpretation is that Ryo is offended/ worried that the hotel owner is learning how to throw an uppercut.
The implication being that she is going to use it on Ryo if he fails to pay his bill :ROFLMAO:

not cutscene, but I didnt notice it in my first playthrough because I mostly avoided the place, but the Save Shenmue building: in the back where the patio is, sometimes Shenhua might frequent there and sit down, and you can do the Face Off game with her there like you could in her house in Bailu.

Unfortunately, the rest of the dialogue with her is still the same repeated ones you have every morning with her before you leave the hotel.

I think I may have found a clue, likely a translation/dub oversight.

I recently replayed the interrogation scene: When Yanlang tells Shenhua/Ryo that Elder Yeh is in trouble, Ryo growls "what's that supposed to mean?" with the exact same audio.

My guess: they thought that same question worked in English for the hotel scene, so they just used the same audio, even though the context is clearly different. Thoughts?

When do these cutscenes happen? I've gone up to the hotel 2nd for but there's never anyone in the garden.

Also I heard you can see the other hotel guests getting ready in their rooms each morning but I have only seen the rich couple a couple of times then nothing and no one else.

When do these cutscenes happen? I've gone up to the hotel 2nd for but there's never anyone in the garden.

Also I heard you can see the other hotel guests getting ready in their rooms each morning but I have only seen the rich couple a couple of times then nothing and no one else.

Here’s the scene in question-

Any point in Niaowu. I think probably any time of day, too. It's not the second floor, though. You need to go to the northeast corner of the hotel's third floor. It's over the bridge that connects from the second floor of the arcade.

Any point in Niaowu. I think probably any time of day, too. It's not the second floor, though. You need to go to the northeast corner of the hotel's third floor. It's over the bridge that connects from the second floor of the arcade.
Ah ok i was in the wrong place, thanks. Past the lucky hit stand owner who says not to shake the bridge right?

Last edited:
I think I may have found a clue, likely a translation/dub oversight.

I recently replayed the interrogation scene: When Yanlang tells Shenhua/Ryo that Elder Yeh is in trouble, Ryo growls "what's that supposed to mean?" with the exact same audio.

My guess: they thought that same question worked in English for the hotel scene, so they just used the same audio, even though the context is clearly different. Thoughts?
Exactly. It’s a recycled soundbite from an existing scene and they may have had a bit of a misunderstanding on it’s context and thought it made sense to put it in that uppercut scene.

Ryo says basically the same thing in Japanese, though. I was really confused by it at first, also. To me, it sounded a little bit like someone being cheated on saying, "What's the meaning of this!"

Back