Actual names of martial arts techniques in Shenmue

RyoHazuki84

俺が益荒男
Favourite title
Shenmue
This thread is probably more for martial arts enthusiasts, but I’d like to make a thread of certain martial arts techniques from Shenmue, and introduce their actual names. If you have anymore, please add to the list. I’m relatively new to Judo (the closest I’ve done is Brazilian Jiujitsu, which does come from Judo) but most of the terms we used were Westernized, and don’t use their original Japanese names. For example, what people call the ude-garame in Judo, is called a Kimura in BJJ and MMA, in honor of Masahiko Kimura, a Judo fighter who used that technique to break Helio Gracie’s arm in a bout.

For starters, the Mist Reaper, or the Kiri-gari looks a lot like the Oosto guruma
The demon drop, or the Rasetsu-otoshi looks like a variation of the seoi-nage but with a jump
The tengu drop, or the Tengushou looks like a kata-guruma, or a fireman’s carry in wrestling.

I’m sure there’s more, but need more time to look and research, especially with the striking, but want to concentrate on takedowns, throws, and submissions for now

It's funny -- when I started training in karate five or six years ago I noticed how basic karate moves have ridiculously over-the-top names in Shenmue (in English).

One that comes to mind is Counter Elbow Assault. It's one of the most important moves in Shenmue II, and really it's just a side elbow, or yoko empi. Admittedly it does look really cool! I would've thought it's the type of move Ryo would already know...but maybe Xiuying's demonstration jogged his memory :p

Even in Japanese, the names are over the top. Most of the English names are just direct translations of the Japanese and from what I know, Japanese martial arts don’t even use the names you see in Shenmue from my experience

The Torahiji, or the Tiger Knuckle is simple a jab in boxing

The Suigetsutsuki, or the Pit Blow, is simply a zenketsu dachi (forward stance) seiken chudanzuki (mid level basic karate punch), it’s very common in all forms of Japanese karate. Same with the Murasameduki, or the Rain Thrust

The Mikazuki-Geri, or crescent kick is a joudan mawashi geri in Karate

The Deashidome, or the Hold Against Leg is merely a basic Yoko-Geri, or side kick

The Backtwist drop, or the Uraotoshi looks like an Uranage.

Some of the grappling moves in Japanese seem to use the actual names used in judo. For example, the Vortex Throw is still called the Tomoe-Nage in the Japanese version, and that is correct.

Yep, I noticed the same thing. It was obviously a deliberate choice then to make the moves sound more exciting. They probably thought the actual Japanese names were a bit boring for a game partly inspired by Hong Kong action movies and Chinese myth.

Probably. I wonder if traditional Japanese Jiujitsu uses the Shenmue names. I think there's a Chinese name to the elbow assault since it's common in Bajiquan

Back