Adam Koralik - E3 Shenmue 3 Demo Hands on Impressions

Another impressions/discussion/hands on video from the E3 Demo (33 mins long :D).

Edit:- Thought I'd put some interesting info from the very end of the video here as it's important. Adam was authorised to say that the Epic Game Store deal was NOT Yu Suzuki's decision (sounds like he was told by Yu or Yu's daughter), as most of us thought, but still nice to get a confirmation.

Backstory:-
  • Adam was going to E3 anyway but had a nightmare trying to get to see Shenmue 3. Deep Silver wouldn't talk to him (even with some help from Sega). He had a contact at Deep Silver, but that person didn't have the authority to get Adam a meeting/hands on.
  • Adam went with Corey Marshall anyway, just to meet up, hang out at the Sega booth etc. Corey had a meeting to play S3 and meet Yu but wasn't allowed to bring Adam along. Adam went off to the Xbox party (invited by Chris Charla head of ID @ Xbox). Long story short, Yu was there with his translator & daughter, they recognised Adam 2 days in a row and he managed to sweet talk his way to a last minute hands on.
Hands on:-
  • Yu guided Adam through the demo (also high jacked the controller multiple times :p).
  • Explains a bit about capsule toys & wood chopping (nothing new).
  • Mentions that Yu said you can pick up stuff in the game, like S1 & S2 (even though there is usually not a reason to).
  • Fighting took a little while to adjust to. Bit more like Shenmue 2's fighting. No throws mentioned again.
  • Adam explains the new eating mechanic. Basically open a menu, choose food from your inventory (garlic & apples). Sounds like it requires a lot of food to regenerate stamina.
His thoughts:-
  • "Felt very Shenmue". He says that it was not meant for a wide audience and that it was made for the fans - Reiterates that it is a positive thing.
  • Very happy with it and is no longer concerned that Sony/Deep Silver etc were able to "warp" Yu's vision.
  • Demo did have music. Adam confirms new and old music in the demo.
  • Makes a note about other publications negative impressions, and says that it is a game for Shenmue fans, not for them.
He wraps up by touching on the remarks about the story being 40-50% complete after Shenmue 3, and also people crying about the press playing before the backers do. He makes the point that it is the press, and it is used to promote the game. Expects the actual backer demo to be longer/not have a 15 minute limit.

Last edited:
Adam was authorised to say that the Epic Game Store deal was NOT Yu Suzuki's decision (sounds like he was told by Yu or Yu's daughter), as most of us thought, but still nice to get a confirmation.

That's actually very good news in a way. I would like to think that would stop the personal attacks on Yu-san, but who am I kidding?

Wow. Meeting Yu Suzuki 4 times!

Also, did we already get Eurogamer's impressions? Dont remember.... Or was that the Digital Foundry thing?

Not Eurogamer specifically but DF might have covered that.

Nice to see his comments about the demo and Epic. I wonder if he will apply some pressure to help those backers out?

Good impressions, happy he got to meet Yu and fortuitously play the demo.

My take away from most of the impressions we’ve seen, is if you loved Shenmue 1 & 2, this game is going to be an authentic continuation of those titles. While some of us do worry based on reduced staff and budget what concessions Suzuki has had to make, I think ultimately this is going to be a faithful entry into the series and I’m pleased his design philosophies has been fine tuned rather than whole sale changes. Also great to hear Ryo will have option to interact and examine non critical story objects.

ive noticed ryo can buy food, is there any mention what the food is for? does it build up health or something?

From IGN’s preview-

Ryo’s stamina decreases when he runs as well as when he gets hit during battles. To regain stamina he needs to either sleep or eat. If you don’t recover your stamina, it means that you’ll be going into battles with less HP, and Ryo will lose the ability to run while exploring.

I knew it. DS put a knife in Yu's back. A decision they made prolly becuz of Mainstream Press mostly soured their expectations with less than stellar previews/criticism and a good opportunity to get their investment back and reap profits was too good to pass up from Epic.

Never again will I support DS. I'll grab SIV second-hand if DS is back, or find a loop-hole to get my money to Ysnet without changing hands with DS first.

I knew it. DS put a knife in Yu's back. A decision they made prolly becuz of Mainstream Press mostly soured their expectations with less than stellar previews/criticism and a good opportunity to get their investment back and reap profits was too good to pass up from Epic.

Never again will I support DS. I'll grab SIV second-hand if DS is back, or find a loop-hole to get my money to Ysnet without changing hands with DS first.
Alternatively: Maybe Epic offered enough money to cover a lot of Shenmue IV's development and DS thought it was an offer too good to refuse. We don't have all the facts.

Alternatively: Maybe Epic offered enough money to cover a lot of Shenmue IV's development and DS thought it was an offer too good to refuse. We don't have all the facts.

Have DS ever expressed caring whether another installment of Shenmue lives to see the light of day?

You can't make this kind of PR blundered twice on the same front. (eg. Metro Exodus)

Yu confirming that this was a short-sighted decision by DS without his inputs pretty much drives the point home it was about their bottom-line.

I'll swallow the disastrous PR-hard pill if SIV edges out from this, but DS along with AJ can go kick rocks with future installments after this marketing shitestorm they brewed for S3. Throwing Yu and fans under the bus was heartbreaking to watch. I can see any association with these two companies will generate bad PR for future Shenmue titles going forward.

Have DS ever expressed caring whether another installment of Shenmue lives to see the light of day?

You can't make this kind of PR blundered twice on the same front. (eg. Metro Exodus)

Yu confirming that this was a short-sighted decision by DS without his inputs pretty much drives the point home it was about their bottom-line.

I'll swallow the disastrous PR-hard pill if SIV edges out from this, but DS along with AJ can go kick rocks with future installments after this marketing shitestorm they brewed for S3. Throwing Yu and fans under the bus was heartbreaking to watch. I can see any association with these two companies will generate bad PR for future Shenmue titles going forward.

okay, lets just find another publisher whos okay with delays just for polishing a AA game,
a publisher that supported Suzuki so YS NET were able to get the second studio for the characters on board
and made all the other investments to make Shenmue 3 a higher quality game than Suzuki imagined.
(game world, NPCs, voices)
a publisher who puts up banners at E3 and invites all press members to test the demo,
a publisher that will probably provide a Shenmue 3 booth at Gamescom.
sounds easy right?

lets get rid of Deep Silver for Shenmue 4 just to get the game on Steam
and then i want to see your faces when no one is helping out.
lets see how awesome Shenmue 4 will be with no AA publisher and no Sega,
no Sony and a Kickstarter with only 30-50% of the money that S3 got.

and then i dont want to hear any blubbering here.

I said it when the Epic deal was first announced: Yu did not make that decision, and I'm glad Adam could confirm it. Whether you still think it's ultimately Yu's responsibility is another thing. Personally, I think handing over control of the project to a publisher was a necessity to get the game made. If Deep Silver hadn't stepped forward we'd be stuck with an empty, inferior Shenmue III. It's a bitter pill to swallow for some, but I think delivering a game worthy of the Shenmue name is Yu's priority, because that's what the fans want most.

Back