After Burner II

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
After Burner II (Shenmue II)
PSN
plum64_uk
Hi all,

Hope you’re all well. Just wondering, has anyone beaten After Burner II within Shenmue II, with 1 credit (PS4 version)? I’m really struggling. I can only get as far as Stage 9/10.

I’ve had a look online at guides, videos etc, but nothing seems to be helping much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Shenmue community :)

Last edited:
I've been trying to get remotely good at this game, and gave up a long time ago. There's no way I can even begin to understand it, or any techniques that can work. The best I have ever achieved in Afterburner is getting to level 3. It's just a nightmare of a game, unlike Space Harrier or Hang On, where with a little but of luck in the former, I can beat both games.

But Afterburner??? Nope.

I suck at all the arcade games, sorry...

I used to be quite good at Afterburner, i've seen stages past 10 atleast! Best thing to do is just keep moving, locking on as much as you can, and speeding up full, and constantly spinning when they fire missles at you. Later stages like Space Harrier, you can earn lives and missles back to keep you going.

Thank you,

I’ve also been using the “keep to the bottom right, move when necessary” method, which seems to have gotten me as far as stage 14 now. Seems a lot of the time it’s just luck whether you dodge a missile or not :hmm:

I’d love to know if someone has actually completed this or not, just so we can know if it’s possible with 1 credit.

I can 2-credit it on the Saturn, but the controls in the HD collection seem a bit off to me. That's my excuse, anyway.

I agree, having played it solid for about 5 days now, it would seem that, over time, the controls become less responsive. Also, when you start a new game (having just died) the plane does a weird “movement” as though mimicking the last move you did before dying :hmm: Having looked at other play throughs on YouTube, the plane seems to be less agile/harder to move around the screen.

In other news, I just got the “Mini After Burner”, but only with a score of 5,000,000. Interesting :unsure:

Hi all,

I can now confirm that After Burner II CAN be beaten with 1 token in Shenmue II (PS4 re-release). Despite the terrible controls and lag it is doable, it just takes an enormous amount of effort, patience and above all practice.

For anyone going for this, I cannot stress the magnitude of the challenge! Originally I thought luck might carry my through, but ABII requires total focus and skill. Just keep practicing, and once done give yourself a round of applause/pat on the back, cause you’ve really achieved something monumental here.

Annoyingly I wanted to capture footage of Cunyi Qi as he presents the certificate to Ryo, sadly my PS4’s sharing tool didn’t work, so instead here is a photo of the certificate. I’ll add a transcript of the cut scene below this post.

If anyone wants any tips, tricks etc, let me know. I’ll put them here/start a new thread if there’s interest?

Feeling on top of the world right now ?

Cheers!!

Attachments

• 03CD78E1-7A2E-4BA2-B85F-693286DD0954.jpeg
    03CD78E1-7A2E-4BA2-B85F-693286DD0954.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
Transcript of cut scene following completion of After Burner II:

Game Ends
Ryo: “It’s Over”
Ryo leaves AB II arcade machine
Ryo: “No, I’d better not”

Cunyi Qi approaches Ryo
Cunyi Qi: “You’re not just anybody, that’s some skill”
Ryo: “It’s not that great”
Cunyi Qi: “Here you go, a prize of glory”
Cunyi present Ryo with mini After Burner II

Cunyi Qi: “You cleared it with a single token. Here”
Cunyi presents Ryo with After Burner II Token
Ryo: “Thanks”

Last edited:
By all means please post tips! As in-depth as you want to go, because I don't have a clue how the game even works. It just seems random to me sometimes, even the control scheme. Least with Hang On and Space Harrier, it's a one button command, and you just... Move.

Hey a bit off topic, but relevant enough to stay here I think lmfao. You know that scene in the orphanage where Ren gives the kid the Afterburner toy? Well, if you have Afterburner, does Ryo give him the toy instead? Are there any other toys he would accept this way? Always been curious about this...

Hey a bit off topic, but relevant enough to stay here I think lmfao. You know that scene in the orphanage where Ren gives the kid the Afterburner toy? Well, if you have Afterburner, does Ryo give him the toy instead? Are there any other toys he would accept this way? Always been curious about this...

There's no way to legitimately have an After Burner toy at that point in the story - you don't get access to After Burner until you're trying to get into the Yellow Head Bldg.

There are illegitimate ways to get access to After Burner early, but unfortunately I'm shit at After Burner so I won't be able to give you the answer.

And of course, you could always hack the save to give yourself the toy. I'll leave that to someone who's already set up for something like that, though.

There's no way to legitimately have an After Burner toy at that point in the story - you don't get access to After Burner until you're trying to get into the Yellow Head Bldg.

There are illegitimate ways to get access to After Burner early, but unfortunately I'm shit at After Burner so I won't be able to give you the answer.

And of course, you could always hack the save to give yourself the toy. I'll leave that to someone who's already set up for something like that, though.
I thought so, it's just so weird how they cut up that scene like you have an option... Maybe I'll try messing with codebreaker at that part and see what happens but I have a feeling it won't matter...

Always thought that scene with Hongji was to show that Ren CAN be benevolent and helpful when he wants to be.

A character-defining moment.

Always thought that scene with Hongji was to show that Ren CAN be benevolent and helpful when he wants to be.

A character-defining moment.
I thought it was to reinforce his status as all around arcade game badass lmfao

Hi all,

I can now confirm that After Burner II CAN be beaten with 1 token in Shenmue II (PS4 re-release). Despite the terrible controls and lag it is doable, it just takes an enormous amount of effort, patience and above all practice.

For anyone going for this, I cannot stress the magnitude of the challenge! Originally I thought luck might carry my through, but ABII requires total focus and skill. Just keep practicing, and once done give yourself a round of applause/pat on the back, cause you’ve really achieved something monumental here.

Annoyingly I wanted to capture footage of Cunyi Qi as he presents the certificate to Ryo, sadly my PS4’s sharing tool didn’t work, so instead here is a photo of the certificate. I’ll add a transcript of the cut scene below this post.

If anyone wants any tips, tricks etc, let me know. I’ll put them here/start a new thread if there’s interest?

Feeling on top of the world right now ?

Cheers!!
Yeah, some tips would be great. How to consistently dodge missiles, usefulness of barrel roll, when to speed-up or slow-down, etc. The game seems really cool, but I feel like I just don't understand it.

Also, what is the exact input and conditions required for the barrel roll? I thought it was just left to right or vice versa quickly, but sometimes it just won't come out for me.

Wait a moment--you can't have the Afterburner cabinet capsule until after the Orphanage? What about the Lucky Hit Toys? PRetty sure I usually have multiples of the R360 in HOng Kong if not in Yokosuka (cannot recall if apart of the Sega machine).

Could've sworn I've had the toy at least twice when speaking to Hongji. Ren still gives up the item, regardless.

Am I creating a faulty memory or are the toys different?

I always assumed the toys were different because I tried this already lmfao but maybe they are the same now that you bring it up...

Wait a moment--you can't have the Afterburner cabinet capsule until after the Orphanage? What about the Lucky Hit Toys? PRetty sure I usually have multiples of the R360 in HOng Kong if not in Yokosuka (cannot recall if apart of the Sega machine).

Could've sworn I've had the toy at least twice when speaking to Hongji. Ren still gives up the item, regardless.

R360:
vlcsnap-10002018-07-18-22h41m52s399.png

Can be won from the raffle in the first game, or from Lucky Hit in the second. (There's also one in the Vacant Lot.)

F14-XX:
vlcsnap-10002018-07-18-22h43m18s117.png

Can be found in the AM2 Set Machine.

Ren gives Hongji the Mini Afterburner:
vlcsnap-10002018-07-18-22h46m04s086.png

Can only be obtained by getting a high score in After Burner, which is only accessible when looking for Rod Stunt/Greg More/Chunyan.

Back