Air twister sales ?

It has a highest player count of 15 on Steam.

2 estimates place it at 150-300 copies owned on PC. Steam Spy states around 22k so tracking that accurately is a shit.

The Switch LE sold out at Strictly Limited Games so that's something but I've nothing particularly concrete.

i don't think it will sell a lot but thats ok because apple funded that game anyway

I feel like this post makes perfect sense in here. I don't know about you guys, but I'm planning on and buying and sharing keys online when it goes on a good sale.
We're going to stream the game on Thursday (we'd have done it on release but I got Covid and James had a holiday booked) which may have helped.

That said we will keep pushing it as much as we can.

It has a highest player count of 15 on Steam.

2 estimates place it at 150-300 copies owned on PC. Steam Spy states around 22k so tracking that accurately is a shit.

The Switch LE sold out at Strictly Limited Games so that's something but I've nothing particularly concrete.

22k seems a good estimate, it's not even bad as pc-only numbers.
It's a rail shooted after all, we can't expect huge numbers in current market, but as long it profits and push Yu Suzuki to make more arcade games, it's perfectly fine.

Shenmue 4 money should be taken from other sources course (SEGA, cough cough).

Last edited:
It's an arcade game. People don't liked arcade games on home consoles since the late 90's. Don't expect big sales, there is no more niche product than this.

22k is ridiculously high for steam alone.

There is a statistical formula with the number of reviews that they say works pretty well. The number of reviews x 100. For example, if Shenmue III has 800 reviews, it probably sold 80,000 copies on steam. Air Twister is a new game and not everyone has written reviews yet. But if 100 people write reviews, theoretically there are 10,000 owners. It doesn't always work perfect though! :p

Most sales will be on consoles. I ordered the collector's edition for PS4 and bought Switch version day 1. Maybe in the future I will also get the Steam version because it allows very high frames. If you have a 144hz monitor, you can play the game at 144fps. That's super cool. :giggle:

Yea i suspect it's going to do well enough as its kind of a low risk game . Didnt break the bank to make and from what i gather it did ok on apple device's and i suspect will make its money on consoles .

I guess mpre accurate data will follow in the coming months

It's hard to judge at this point how many sales it has made and Steam DB had it ranging from in the low hundreds to 22k. That's a massive range.

I also don't know what would be deemed successful for this sort of title in sales numbers.

It's hard to judge at this point how many sales it has made and Steam DB had it ranging from in the low hundreds to 22k. That's a massive range.

I also don't know what would be deemed successful for this sort of title in sales numbers.
Thats true i guess .

Do we even know rhe budget of air twister

I thought the whole idea of Apple Arcade was that Apple basically pay for the development of the game in return for a years exclusivity on their platform. I remember looking into it at the time that Air Twister was announced, but there isn't too much info about.

This interview does go into it a bit:-

But basically, it's a smart move from Yu and Ysnet as they won't be loosing money really. At the same time, after the year exclusivity ended they found a publisher to release it on consoles/PC which is even more income for them without too much work.

We know that Yu is working on another unannounced game, so this could be his game plan moving forward. Some smaller, exclusive games to build up a bit of a bank towards SIV.

I can did this strategy for a while air twister is pretty adictve but not in a play it for hours on end type way juat when i think iv had enough i tend to give it another go the next day kinda like pacman 256

Air twister 2 would be welcome or an outrun / hang on style game wpuld be welcome next or somthing completely difrent or VF 6 would be nice to

I dont feel shenmue 4 is on its way any time soon but i can deffo get on with many arcade style games for a while and hopfully clock up a few coins reputation and experience. And when i say experience i mean working with a new team and acquiring short hand communication with the team and knowing which companies are best to out source to and which ones to retain and which ones not ect

But im getting off topic lo

I look foward to what comes next

But back on topic is there a way to track data on console sales im gonna assume this is gonna go well on the switch lol amd not just because thays the version i bought lol

Unfortunately, the exact sales of games are some of the best kept secrets in the industry. Especially since the rise of digital gaming, which makes sales as numbers meaningless. I have a friend who is a developer in a small indie studio and he told me that the publisher hides the sales even from him. (He may have lied to me, but we are good acquaintances and I don't see why he would do it. :LOL:)

Accurate sales can be used as a weapon against companies. Fans can misinterpret them. At first glance 100,000 on Steam for Shenmue 3 might not look bad, but most are on 80% promotion. Some fans may start hating a company prioritizing one game over another... and use the sales as an argument. In short, only negatives can come out if they announce sales. The rare cases that sales are announced are for prestige purposes are when they pass over 1 million in the first year, etc.

I don't know if you remember how Days Gone fans used the game's close sales with Ghost of Tsushima and demanded an explanation from Sony as to why one was a failure and the other was not.We also recently compared Shenmue 3 to "Fist Yakuza" using assumed sales. The Fist Yakuza has a Playstation Hits edition which makes me think it has much bigger sales than Shenmue 3, but I can only guess...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the exact sales of games are some of the best kept secrets in the industry. Especially since the rise of digital gaming, which makes sales as numbers meaningless. I have a friend who is a developer in a small indie studio and he told me that the publisher hides the sales even from him. (He may have lied to me, but we are good acquaintances and I don't see why he would do it. :LOL:)

Accurate sales can be used as a weapon against companies. Fans can misinterpret them. At first glance 100,000 on Steam for Shenmue 3 might not look bad, but most are on 80% promotion. Some fans may start hating a company prioritizing one game over another... and use the sales as an argument. In short, only negatives can come out if they announce sales. The rare cases that sales are announced are for prestige purposes are when they pass over 1 million in the first year, etc.

I don't know if you remember how Days Gone fans used the game's close sales with Ghost of Tsushima and demanded an explanation from Sony as to why one was a failure and the other was not.We also recently compared Shenmue 3 to Fist Yakuza using assumed sales. The Fist Yakuza has a Playstation Hits edition which makes me think it has much bigger sales than Shenmue 3, I can only guess...
I remember Cedric telling me in the interview a couple years back that DS didn't even tell him the sales numbers of S3. So I don't think its that uncommon.

Its a strange situation most media likes to boast about sales or data and is easy to come but game publishers lile to be vague which im sure wasnt allways he case .

Strange times we are in lol

It's probably very niche since they didn't even bother to sell it on the Asian PlayStation Store and I couldn't purchase the game because of that.

strange . I assume it came out physically in your region ?
Neither. This situation usually happens with a very niche game. For example, I have seen some small indie games that no one cares about unavailable in Asia PS Store. My guess is that publishers need to pay Sony a fee to sell their games in stores in different regions. So for these niche games, publishers might rather choose not to release them since probably no one will buy them.

In this case, there's literally no way to buy this game on PlayStation in Asia unless you register a US PSN account or import it from other regions.

Back