All Elite Wrestling

Jigen

Man Mo Journeyman
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Persona 5
So AEW premiered on TNT 2 days ago and I thought it was awesome definitely a return towards the amazing pro wrestling of the 1990's. What are your thoughts?

It was solid...I'm gonna be honest, I wasn't blown away by their debut.

There were highlights. The opening match w/ Cody and Sami was pretty good. MJF is a natural heel (it's so god damn refreshing to have a heel be an actual HEEL.) Jericho is as good as always. I never thought I'd hear Tony Schiavone on TNT again...was kind of a surreal moment and took me right back to the days of Nitro.

Then there was that god awful Riho/Nyla Rose match...I thought this was sloppy as shit speaking candidly. No psychology (it's a title match so I know, let's go grab a pile of chairs and run the risk of getting DQ...there's some psychology for you)...I absolutely hated that match...it just looked so fake and almost backyard-like and left a real bad taste in my mouth. It was the worst match of the night for me and not a great way to kick off their women's division.

Still, I'm rooting for them...anyone that can provide real competition for Vince and the WWE is welcome and they're already off to a better start than TNA ever was. But still, there were things about the debut show that could have been better. I didn't think it was quite the home run that it should have been...but still solid.

One thing is for sure though, if Vince wants NXT to be a credible contender then he needs to get them out of Full Sail and on the road...because the presentation alone speaks values. AEW in reasonable sized arenas has a much greater appeal on the eyes. NXT in a small building playing to the same audience over and over again just can't cut it...it was fine when they had no one to compete against, but now? Get 'em out of there and get 'em on the road.

Last edited:
Whoa... Schiavone is the commentator?!?!?!?!

Yeah, DEFINITELY tuning in next week; if this has any semblance at all of WCW, I'm in from here on out.

I hope they can sign CM Punk... my only reason to watch wrestling again

Whoa... Schiavone is the commentator?!?!?!?!

Yeah, DEFINITELY tuning in next week; if this has any semblance at all of WCW, I'm in from here on out.

There are points where I felt like I was watching what would be a modern day Nitro if WCW had lived on...it's pretty damn solid all around...give 'em a chance...nice to have an alternative with some proper money behind them for a change.

Last edited:
I say in a year, AEW is going to be hot and even have a Monday show to compete with Raw! They’re getting great talent and they’re putting on exciting matches.

I'm hearing that AEW's Video Game will use the No Mercy engine. The greatest two weeks of my gaming life was in November of 2000. No mercy came out on the N64 and then the following week Shenmue for the dreamcast. Oh how time circles by

I'm hearing that AEW's Video Game will use the No Mercy engine. The greatest two weeks of my gaming life was in November of 2000. No mercy came out on the N64 and then the following week Shenmue for the dreamcast. Oh how time circles by

Wait what!? I have been waiting for someone to just rip off the No Mercy/AKI engine. Nobody has made a wrestling game anywhere near as good since.

As for AEW overall, I've been a bit disinterested since their initial PPVs. I really don't enjoy the comedy/parody wrestling like Orange Cassidy and some of the stuff I heard about in the Battle Royales etc. I understand they've toned that down and are presenting a more traditional show since moving to TV, so might tune in eventually.

In the meantime I'm full time NJPW and intrigued to see NWA Power develop.

Wait what!? I have been waiting for someone to just rip off the No Mercy/AKI engine. Nobody has made a wrestling game anywhere near as good since.

As for AEW overall, I've been a bit disinterested since their initial PPVs. I really don't enjoy the comedy/parody wrestling like Orange Cassidy and some of the stuff I heard about in the Battle Royales etc. I understand they've toned that down and are presenting a more traditional show since moving to TV, so might tune in eventually.

In the meantime I'm full time NJPW and intrigued to see NWA Power develop.
AEW has put on a solid product the first couple of weeks they've been on TV. But yes, Kenny Omega actually reached out to AKI themselves on Twitter and asked them to follow him "he had something to talk to them about" and they did. Cody Rhodes said recently in an interview that the video game they're working on is "something that the people have been asking for and is the game they've been hinting at."

Which means to me that the game won't be a ripoff of the No Mercy engine, it IS the No Mercy engine! :)

I only came in here to mention NWA Powerrr. That's the real alternative right there.
Maybe we should make a general pro rasslin' thread? Or can we alter this one to encompass all wrestling?
NJPW's King of Pro Wrestling show last night was fantastic too!
AEW has put on a solid product the first couple of weeks they've been on TV. But yes, Kenny Omega actually reached out to AKI themselves on Twitter and asked them to follow him "he had something to talk to them about" and they did. Cody Rhodes said recently in an interview that the video game they're working on is "something that the people have been asking for and is the game they've been hinting at."

Which means to me that the game won't be a ripoff of the No Mercy engine, it IS the No Mercy engine! :)

Colour me interested! I was waiting on Pro Wrestling X on steam to be the spiritual successor, but that seems to be stuck in development hell. Cannot wait to see what AKI can do!

I was waiting on Pro Wrestling X on steam to be the spiritual successor, but that seems to be stuck in development hell.

Have you been playing on Early Access? I think they have a new, overhauled version coming soon. Not sure they have an ultimate finish line in sight though - they seem to have decided that this game will be continually updated and improved, rather than ever being deemed "complete."

Have you been playing on Early Access? I think they have a new, overhauled version coming soon. Not sure they have an ultimate finish line in sight though - they seem to have decided that this game will be continually updated and improved, rather than ever being deemed "complete."
I have not, I was waiting for it to be 'completed' before buying, tbh. How's it compare to the AKI games?

Back