Always online connection required for PC?

pilman

A mind as clear as a polished mirror
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Yakuza Zero
I am noticing when I lost internet this morning I could not play Shenmue III. Do any of you know if internet is required to play?

Seems to be. Even if you switch to "Sign in later" mode, Shenmue 3 launches with an error message.

well this is ...not good. Looks like playing while on an airplane on a laptop won't be an option.

well this is ...not good. Looks like playing while on an airplane on a laptop won't be an option.

People wond why I hate all these launcher type fake store front networks.

However that's kind of a bad example, as many planes these days have their own wifi, so more then likely if on a flight, you could play it.

People wond why I hate all these launcher type fake store front networks.

However that's kind of a bad example, as many planes these days have their own wifi, so more then likely if on a flight, you could play it.

I fly frequently to Colombia and internet cuts out once you get near Cuba.

That's a shame, not good for preservation :/ Maybe the steam version will not have this issue.

That's a shame, not good for preservation :/ Maybe the steam version will not have this issue.

Well that's moot as far as the PC goes anyway, as It's tied to a launcher anyway, doesn't have a real physical release, and It's PC, which stupid window updates destroy the concept of preservation(atleast for games officially released on PC anyway).

Luckily there's a console release of Shenmue 3.

Seems to be. Even if you switch to "Sign in later" mode, Shenmue 3 launches with an error message.
Do you know what the error message? I heard that there was a similar problem with Borderlands 3 offline mode which actually has a workaround.

Shenmue is more of a console game guy's. I would be happy that it's on the PC at all.

This isn't a pcmasterrace vs console debate. It was released for PC as well as PS4 so therefore I think my opinion is just as valid. To indicate I should be happy it's on PC at all is to completely dismiss the fact I also helped back this game for it to be a reality and PC happens to be what I play on.

I am complaining about not being able to play the game if my internet goes down, that is a valid complaint for a single player game.

Last edited:
Shenmue is more of a console game guy's. I would be happy that it's on the PC at all.
I'm playing on console and am more of a console pleb, but what a weird thing to say. Always online is just plain shitty.

I'm playing on console and am more of a console pleb, but what a weird thing to say. Always online is just plain shitty.

I was just trying to make you guy's feel better lol. It'll be on steam next year for probably like 15 bucks so it'll be alright..

There is a way to bypass that, but I can't talk about it here though. No-cd patches places online have them. I mention it since I see no harm in using it if you already bought the game.

Last edited:
For the moment I think this is good. Ive already seen some people downloading pirate version of the game in another forum :(

For the moment I think this is good. Ive already seen some people downloading pirate version of the game in another forum :(

the toothpaste is out of the tube, it is simply punishing law abiding people like myself having to have a constant internet connection. There are areas internet is not reliable.

20191126_223228.jpg

Also, the pirates get to play it offline too, but the game they have is pretty much is the same game files, but with an altered executable (.exe) file that runs the game without any launchers. Most of the people who pirated the game are mostly fence-sitters or people who are curious but don't know what to expect. I'm not worried about them. Hopefully, they will be more willing to buy the game when (I'm sure of it) 4 comes around to support it that time around.

I think the online-only requirement makes no sense especially for a game that was protected by a mere lancher that has been cracked many times already.

I reported the issue to [email protected] and it appears they recognize the issue so maybe it is a bug as they asked for further information and my epic account.

20191205_074014.jpg

Welccome to modern gaming. That is the reason why I do not buy digitally in the console space. You have to be connected online to play the games bought in the PSN store. With discs you do not have the problem. The only connectivity is the curse of modern gaming and of digital sales.

Back