Am I the only one who actually LIKES bloom lighting?

Oregon Pacifist

Account Removed at Users Request
I think the bloom effect adds more vibrancy and illumination to the world. Without it, the overall look appears more flat to me. However, when people talk about it, they seem to hate it and turn the setting off immediately at the start. What about you?

I think it's nice. Haven't had any urge to turn it off. We're living in the future, so we might as well take advantage of it. ;)

^^Yeah, in daytime it makes everything look unnecessarily hazy, even when it's a blue sky out. Not the desired effect at all.
It's been so long since I last played Shenmue that I'm really looking forward to fully jumping back into it, but man, I might have to wait until this auto-bloom-after-notebook glitch gets ironed out.

I like it too although I have some pretty strong nostalgia for the way the original Xbox Shenmue II looked so that might factor in.

I like it I just think D3T made the contrast default too high.

I've got to say that it makes neon signs look really good.

For other parts of the game I prefer no bloom.

I wish tuere was a mod to turn it on only for certain things like: lightbulbs, neon signs, candles, flames, car lights etc.

Basically there were one or two users who made multiple posts expressing that they don't like bloom, perhaps creating an impression that it's excessively unpopular. I think when used sparingly it's a great effect that can be evocative of certain real optical phenomena in our eyes and in camera lenses.

I mean it was buggy as anything in the intro for me but otherwise I left it on.

Its a nice little effect as it moves the image back towards the warm fuzzyness you can get with a CRT so I think its valid. It looks very good at night - I can take it or leave it during the day really.

The original 2x bloom was only good at night, yet I never hated it so passionately like a lot of anti-xbox trolls.

Definitely much more tasteful now and I enjoy the added effect plus the new HUD added to Chapter 1. Actually, would've preferred the first HUD for it's minimalist style, but alas.

Back