An Open Letter From the New Players of Shenmue

Hello, all.

I've been lurking around here for a little while now. And on forums and whatnot, that usually suits me just fine, but I registered for an account here because I'd like to convey my thanks to the fans of the Shenmue Series for not letting it die and, taking a quick look through the Community section, it doesn't look like anyone else has done that yet.

I had hardly been born when Shenmue first came out. No surprise that I hadn't played it then. I first saw a lets play of the start of Shenmue II years ago, but it was left abandoned after the quest for the four Wude. I did some looking into Shenmue, but was disheartened when I found out it was an old game for old consoles; I've only ever played on PC. Then earlier this year, I found Shenmue 1 & 2 in my steam queue, and I got excited. I started looking into the series. I waited for the release of Shenmue 1&2 with much anticipation. As much as I try not to get hyped for things, I was hyped for Shenmue.

When the games released, and I started playing, the clunky controls and 1999-2000's voice work was off putting. But the story and the music were enough to draw me in. And by the time I finished the first few objectives, I was enthralled. From Ryo's relationship with Nozomi, to practicing in the parking lot and abandoned warehouse, to the mysteries of Master Chen and the Phoenix Mirror, and the hunt for sailors, being Ryo in a world with just huge levels of interactivity and design was magical. Having finished the second game as well, I can understand the reason why people have pushed for the last 18 years to keep Shenmue alive. On my running spreadsheet of favorite games, Shenmue as a series is now on the top, and each game ranks very highly (top 3) individually as well. I even managed to sneak into the end of the slacker backer campaign for Shenmue 3, and I must confess, I'm terribly excited that it exists and is coming.

Where this overlong thread is going, is just to say thank you to the Shenmue Community for making my trip into the world of Shenmue possible. I've never played anything like it, and without you all, I never would have. And I'm sure there are other new players of the series who feel the same.

Welcome to the Dojo, young friend! Glad to have you on board. I'm a man in my early 30s now, most of us Shenmue fans from the Dreamcast days are in teir late 20s/early 30s now, as you can immagine. But you kind of remind me of my younger self when I first played Shenmue. :D

It's a great feeling to see that Shenmue can still inspire young people today in the same way it inspired me back when I was about the same age. I just want to see how the story goes on that has brought so much magic and wonder into my life. But back in the early 2000s, Shenmue's graphics were top-notch which they are no longer today. So the games still appealing to young people who are used to todays graphics stands as an even bigger testament to Shenmue's quality and depth.

No need to thank us for anything. You've got yourself to thank. You're on of us now, you're a Shenmue fan and a Shenmue 3 backer. Thank YOU for your support! (y)

You only have one little advantage over us old fucks... You'll only have to wait for like one year for Shenmue 3 after having first finished S2. I first finished S2 in 2002, so I've been waiting for S3 for 16 years. :LOL: So happy for you, you'll only have to wait one year!

Welcome to the Shenmue Community again and I hope to see you around here more often. (y)

PS: We also have a "New Member Introductions" thread on here somewhere.

Welcome to the dojo @JS-Garrison

Shenmue is a game that we all knew would do well among the current fans so to see the games inspire new players such as yourself is amazing and heartwarming.

I'm always jealous of new players experiencing the games for the first time. I'll never forget how the games drew me in, how the world feels real and how the story grabs you.

Not a long wait for Shenmue 3 for you ;)

New members introductions if you want to say hello there is on the following: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-member-introductions.21/

Again welcome :)

When the games released, and I started playing, the clunky controls and 1999-2000's voice work was off putting. But the story and the music were enough to draw me in. And by the time I finished the first few objectives, I was enthralled. From Ryo's relationship with Nozomi, to practicing in the parking lot and abandoned warehouse, to the mysteries of Master Chen and the Phoenix Mirror, and the hunt for sailors, being Ryo in a world with just huge levels of interactivity and design was magical. Having finished the second game as well, I can understand the reason why people have pushed for the last 18 years to keep Shenmue alive. On my running spreadsheet of favorite games, Shenmue as a series is now on the top, and each game ranks very highly (top 3) individually as well. I even managed to sneak into the end of the slacker backer campaign for Shenmue 3, and I must confess, I'm terribly excited that it exists and is coming.
I don't have much to add right now but when I read this part I thought : this is someone who really gets what the series tried to achieve.

Welcome to the Dojo. It’s nice to hear a younger gamer’s perspective on the game. Keep in mind some of us don’t even consider the Dreamcast to be that old in comparison to what some of us gamers as old.

To me, anything with voice acting is considered new enough for me.

But anyway, I’m glad you enjoyed the game

Back