Analysis: Cut Bicycle Event in Shenmue 2

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
As a follow up to the earlier post on the bicycle feature that was removed from Shenmue 1...

Shenmue 2 was also to have had Ryo riding a bicycle, as seen in two beta screenshots that AM2 put up on the Shenmue.com website after the second game's release. This analysis article compares the screenshots with the released game's scenery, and gathers quotes from developers involved with the project on what had been planned.

rect6574.jpg

Analysis article:
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/09/cut-content-ryos-bicycle-event-in.html

This video accompanies the article and highlights the relevant areas - with some bonus "boundary hack" footage captured by @James Brown!

Great stuff @Switch, amazing that these games still have secrets all these years later. Just a heads up, looks like the Tak Hirai interview links to a Super Metroid piece on Retro Gamer.

Cheers @Amir, totally - there's always something cool to dig into next it seems.

Thanks for the catch on the link, I've fixed it (and moved it down to the "sources" at the end).

Awesome work bringing all this together @Switch

I do recall this beta screenshot now and was reminded there was cut content regarding the little girl and the pharmacy. Two quick observations-

- Is this the first time we have heard the game was originally intended to begin in China? I don’t recall that and of course the Saturn footage contradicts this. Was this much earlier in the planning process?

- I wonder if the cut event they speak of would have functioned like a QTE event with the little girl directing you and Ryo having to make the correct turns per her instructions?

Amazing discovery. I didn't even know about a bicycle in beta-Shenmue II before. Only in 1.

I want to add that, I think this was in that FREE-trailer where there was lots of details that was very different from the original Shenmue 1. Like a shovel in the snow, people standing on a balcony.. is what I remember. I tried to find the trailer but didn't... I'll try again some other time. But you all have probably seen it.

I want to add that, I think this was in that FREE-trailer where there was lots of details that was very different from the original Shenmue 1. Like a shovel in the snow, people standing on a balcony.. is what I remember. I tried to find the trailer but didn't... I'll try again some other time. But you all have probably seen it.

This trailer?

Yes! That one exactly. The cherry tree with Ryo as well. Thanks!
So much snow. I can't remember seeing that much snow in the final version, and, why didn't they keep the snow piles with the shovel.. hmm.
That person on the ´balcony´ I was talking about is from another trailer, I think.. It's one with an english voice in the background talking about F.R.E.E.

So much snow. I can't remember seeing that much snow in the final version, and, why didn't they keep the snow piles with the shovel.. hmm.

Sorry for the poor quality video, but I remember most of the beta footage with heavy snow effects having really poor framerates so perhaps they dialled down the weather to ensure a more consistent framerate?

Last edited:
Sorry for the poor quality video, but I remember most of the beta footage with heavy snow effects having really poor framerates so perhaps they dialled down the weather to ensure a more consistent framerate?

No problem, looks beautiful man! Yeah that really make sense because Shenmue pushed the limits of the DC. This is what I was talking about in another thread where I said Shenmue / Dreamcast had its own graphic-style which I love. It looks so dreamy and nostalgic. It has that mysterious tone to it.
And even more so with that blurry video of the original DC version of Niao Sun. I always wanted to see more of her but later heard something, I think from Yu, who said that it only was a like a ´test´ of the character model or something, and that was all.
If I remembered it correctly.

You most likely already know about the cancelled Shenmue 1 and 2 remaster from Sega with improved graphics.
It does look beautiful but it's difficult to recreate that muted color-tone that the original had with never technology. It seems.
It doesn't have the same feel to it. But I know we all experience things differently. I hope for some better version or re-releaes from Sega than what we got with the HD version. It was so buggy that I coulddn't play it. Which was sad because it looks so good. But I may try the PC version later on if my laptop can handle it.

I know this discussion is veering off topic but I hope the mods don’t mind related discussion.

Shenmue / Dreamcast had its own graphic-style which I love. It looks so dreamy and nostalgic. It has that mysterious tone to it

I totally understand what you mean. I honestly think it’s a product of the era and the quality of media we would get (I get similar feelings looking at beta footage of Ocarina of Time to a certain extent). Keep in mind we’ve had debates internally on the forums with some users preferring the more ‘grimy’ version of Hong Kong seen in a lot of the beta footage-

042_grand.jpg

045_grand.jpg

I hope for some better version or re-releaes from Sega than what we got with the HD version. It was so buggy that I coulddn't play it. Which was sad because it looks so good. But I may try the PC version later on if my laptop can handle it.

I’m sorry to hear that, what bugs did you encounter? I played digital version on PS4 on first day and only had game crash single time. Now with the subsequent patches there shouldn’t be anything stopping you from playing.

If you go down PC route and don’t have powerful enough computer like me, consider the Shadow service. I played first two games this way and ensure you add the amazing mods done by the community you can find here-

It honestly made playing the first game in particular with HD packs and improved lighting like a proper remake. Plus with audio restoration and full 16x9 cutscenes.

- Is this the first time we have heard the game was originally intended to begin in China? I don’t recall that and of course the Saturn footage contradicts this. Was this much earlier in the planning process?
I don't know of any other interviews mentioning it specifically. I agree that it would have been during very early planning, perhaps of the VF RPG concept, as presumably Tak Hirai would have been involved from the very early stages.

- I wonder if the cut event they speak of would have functioned like a QTE event with the little girl directing you and Ryo having to make the correct turns per her instructions?
Nice idea. Perhaps even the occasional cat or dog to avoid. :smile:

I know this discussion is veering off topic but I hope the mods don’t mind related discussion.

I totally understand what you mean. I honestly think it’s a product of the era and the quality of media we would get (I get similar feelings looking at beta footage of Ocarina of Time to a certain extent). Keep in mind we’ve had debates internally on the forums with some users preferring the more ‘grimy’ version of Hong Kong seen in a lot of the beta footage-

042_grand.jpg

045_grand.jpg

I’m sorry to hear that, what bugs did you encounter? I played digital version on PS4 on first day and only had game crash single time. Now with the subsequent patches there shouldn’t be anything stopping you from playing.

If you go down PC route and don’t have powerful enough computer like me, consider the Shadow service. I played first two games this way and ensure you add the amazing mods done by the community you can find here-

It honestly made playing the first game in particular with HD packs and improved lighting like a proper remake. Plus with audio restoration and full 16x9 cutscenes.
I did not forget to answer to this. I agree on the early Ocarine of Time feel. Is there even a word for this feeling?
Anyways. I really like that beta footage of Shenmue II. I don't know which one I prefer. The color of the final version had something special about it as well but, maybe something in between would have been better?
When I played Shemmue II for the first time I thought it was a little bit too colorful. But Yu said something that he wanted the cultural contrast of colors when Ryo came to China, which I can understand.

I think that I would have liked a more 'grimy' version of Kowloon. It would suit that environment more.
Or what do you think?

Oh, I've had almost every bug there is. I have the physical PS4 version. I stopped playing because of a terrible music bug.
But I'll try playing it again some other time. Thanks for the advice. That's always good to know!

Back