Appreciating the Unique Move Tutorials

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
I just noticed...when you're learning a new move the "Sensei's" Never give you any button prompt instructions but a realistic explanations of the move.(Ie. Shift your weight forward+kick/Side-step then strike the vulnerable spot). Somehow it translates well enough I can figure out the button/pad combinations myself...

giphy.gif

This really stands out compared to something you take for granted when in modern games it flashes input commands or the NPC break 4th wall with their button tutorials when teaching you any new tricks. :whistle:

Though back on the DC the prompts would show up on the VMU screen.
It's great how they aren't push left and press A and more move your weight forward then kick.

Though back on the DC the prompts would show up on the VMU screen.
It's great how they aren't push left and press A and more move your weight forward then kick.

Def a masterclass in Immersion design. W/out any button screen prompt and yet players can figure out the button combinations from the realistic demonstrations.:geek:

This really stands out compared to something you take for granted when in modern games it flashes input commands or the NPC break 4th wall with their button tutorials when teaching you any new tricks. :whistle:
The lack of hand holding is something I've really come to appreciate about Shenmue as time goes on.

Whilst it's a pretty liner sleuthing for the most part Shenmue really showed its ambitions when it handed over control to the player to figure something out themselves. Look at something as seemingly trivial as lighting up the Hazuki basement, just like real life there are a few different ways to solve the problem.

I think part of the reason I fell away from gaming in general is that the titles I was playing essentially boiled down to following on screen instructions from waypoint to waypoint, somehow that feels more like a job than doing a shift at the Yokosuka harbour.

I'm speaking a little out of turn because I've not played a modern game in quite a while and I'm sure there are plenty of gems out there but the last few I tried almost felt like I was playing whilst simultaneously having someone read me a GameFAQs walkthrough. There wasn't the same sense of achievement, the payoff for figuring stuff out myself.

just always felt like most of the moves are basic stuff Ryo should already know
ZxbAQEY.gif

This was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post but perhaps the more revealing part of that scene would be Fuki reminding Ryo that for the first 3 years Iwao had him practice only the basics.

Even though I suspect Fuku was not a particularly quick learner I think Iwao was the kind of instructor who would have done the same with any student regardless of ability, he emphasised a strong foundation.

Last edited:
Back