Beating Space Harrier

iyapol

Dried Fish or Fried Tofu?
From what I understand there are 18 levels on Space Harrier.

Any tips for beating it? I really want the certificate!

Sadly this one is all about practice, no real shortcuts. The furthest I can get is stage 14 back on the DC.
You really want that run where you don't die and gain the extra lifes for hitting the scores.
Other then that keep mashing shoot and moving but beware of enemies that fire so you don't re-cross the path of oncoming attacks.
Game is brutal and the only thing on my collection list I don't think I will be able to achieve without cheating.

Shoot the bad guys and don't get shot.

Seriously though - keep moving at all times, generally in a circle motion. Most of the time you're not going to be able to shoot down everything on screen, concentrate more on not getting hit.

I've only beaten Space Harrier on MAME by inserting several dollars worth of virtual quarters to be able to keep continuing. My impression was that the bosses are relatively easy compared to many of the stages themselves, which get insanely fast at times. You want to keep moving in a circle to avoid enemy fire, but the pillars and towers will throw a wrench into that strategy at times. Ultimately you must truly enter the Fantasy Zone in your mind... and only then will you really Get Ready.

Keep moving, keep shooting. Don't worry too much about aiming for enemies, there's partial auto-aim to help with that and it's only points anyway. The most important thing is avoiding bullets and obstacles.

I find it's best to move in a sort of Greek cross pattern (right, up, right, up, left, up, left, down, left, down, right, down, repeat). Some enemies aim where you are, and some where you'll be when the bullet hits, so don't stay still and don't move in the same direction for too long.

Back