Been trying to mess around with the save files

The title basically says it all, but I was wondering if there's anyone here who used to mess with the save files back in the day on the Dreamcast. I've been messing around with it, and from what I can tell (at least for Shenmue 1) all they did was strip the VMU data from the file to make it work with PC. The save file is the exact same uncompressed size with the same amount of bytes of information.

For the record, I've played through the game dozens of times. I just want a playthrough where I have beaucoups of money. From what I can tell, the date/time and money variables are in exactly the same spot. I'm just having a time getting the checksum correct.

Yes it seems, checksum can be fixed in VMU explorer(at least it works for dreamcast). Also, out of curiosity I tried to import save data from HD release to dreamcast VMU and it actually worked! I didn't expect it work just like that, out of box. It had all my collectibles and stuff. but what more is that it still have all that passport data in it, so they didn't strip that.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
Passport patch by @Switch

Yeah. I'm not certain if it works in the other direction, because there are other files that seem to be tied into saves. However, being the n00b I am, I forgot about cheat engine. So, I now have plenty of money by using a memory searcher. Oops. I'm just shocked they essentially just used a VMU save file without a VMU, though I guess it makes sense since all they really did was make the graphics DX compatible and change a few UI elements to port it to PC.

Yo! I'm been treyng doig this work for ages, please help me guys. I'm trying import my hd save (SHENMUE1_001) to my VMU via vmu explorer and the altough the save game appears when i try load options, i get a error and cannot load the save at all (i change the SHENMUE1_001 to SHENMUE1.VMS before). Also when i'm tryng import the save file from VMU to my HD collection in steam folder, after i exporte the save via VMU explorer and change the SHENMUE1.VMS to SHENMUE1_001, the save file won't even appear on continue screen on the hd version. When i'm trying to export the hd save to vmu explorer, im even use the fix crc option, but the shenmue save image bitmap on vmu explorer (ryo punchs out the screen) is gone and turn into a black square. What im doing wrong guys? Please, help me telling me the step by step how did you guys manage this to work (sorry for my bad english, i'm braziliam)

At what stage and what error you get?
what I know so far is:
Fix CRC is important, without it save won't work, instead i get a message (Attempt to load game unsuccessful.)
It doesn't work with VGA cable.
I tested on pal version, i don't know whether it works with US or JP versions.
I don't know if it works on real hardware.
I also got black square instead of picture of Ryo, but it doesn't seem to affect a content of a save file.

I was reading a forum post the other day, and I think the emulator you use is as important as anything else. I don't know about using the VGA cable or anything like that, but I think that some emulators don't actually inspect the checksum, or have some way to bypass the checksum. As far as importing the game goes, there's something else going on there for the VMU data. I know that transferring the file over to my VMU and playing with Demul v 0.7 results in a "corrupt save".

I just happened to figure out it was the same format by loading it up in a hex editor and doing some comparisons.

Although, I haven't tried the other direction... who knows?

At what stage and what error you get?
what I know so far is:
Fix CRC is important, without it save won't work, instead i get a message (Attempt to load game unsuccessful.)
It doesn't work with VGA cable.
I tested on pal version, i don't know whether it works with US or JP versions.
I don't know if it works on real hardware.
I also got black square instead of picture of Ryo, but it doesn't seem to affect a content of a save file.
I get the error saying that attempt to load is failed. I even try to save at Ryo's bed. I teste d on both demul and null DC latest versions. I use the US version.

I don't understand why nothing appear when I put the vms save file on the HD save folder. I don't forget to rename it properly...

Ok, I look at it tomorrow. All I know is that it works for me somehow,which is really surprised me actually. also it works the other way around too, but again I tested it in Demul only, so...

Latest one demul07_180428 it not on official site, but instead posted on forum.

Last edited:
Just as I suspected, saves doesn't work for me on US NTSC Shenmue but works fine on PAL version, my guess that saves from HD version are based on PAL region,probably?
@vagus02 You mentioned that you used US version,Can you try PAL version of Shenmue? this is the only one that works for me.

Just as I suspected, saves doesn't work for me on US NTSC Shenmue but works fine on PAL version, my guess that saves from HD version are based on PAL region,probably?
@vagus02 You mentioned that you used US version,Can you try PAL version of Shenmue? this is the only one that works for me.
I know there's a way to convert US saves to PAL saves, I wonder if that conversion will allow cross compatibility between the PC and DC versions?

I know there's a way to convert US saves to PAL saves, I wonder if that conversion will allow cross compatibility between the PC and DC versions?
non that I know of yet, and the one that converts US->PAL works only for "Cleared file" save and doesn't support in-game saves as far as I know.

The title basically says it all, but I was wondering if there's anyone here who used to mess with the save files back in the day on the Dreamcast. I've been messing around with it, and from what I can tell (at least for Shenmue 1) all they did was strip the VMU data from the file to make it work with PC. The save file is the exact same uncompressed size with the same amount of bytes of information.

For the record, I've played through the game dozens of times. I just want a playthrough where I have beaucoups of money. From what I can tell, the date/time and money variables are in exactly the same spot. I'm just having a time getting the checksum correct.
You might as well just change the money amount in game and then save.
https://wulinshu.com/wiki/index.php/Memory_Addresses_(SM1)#General
https://wulinshu.com/wiki/index.php/Memory_Addresses_(SM2)#General

I've never been able to convert or modify Shenmue 1 saves due to the checksum.

As for Shenmue 2, it seems that there's no checksum - or at least, none that's actually being checked. You can very easily port a save from Dreamcast or Xbox over.

Just my two cents.

I haven't tried to figure out Shenmue 1 save file checksum, it's probably much more complicated, but I did find the instruction that prevents an invalid checksum'd save from being loaded. If that instruction is nulled, the invalid checksum'd file will load, that is, when a valid structure is used. You can hex-edit permanently or just use Cheat-Engine for a temporary fix:

Bypass save file checksum (Shenmue.exe v1.07)
Code:
00007FF70D7C2B64  | 0F85 94000000            | jne 0x7FF70D7C2BFE

Relative Virtual Address: Shenmue.exe+1D2B64

Cheat Engine specific:
Type: 8 Bytes
Expected decimal value: 10180386957680739599
Bypass decimal value.....: 10180545908246089872

After loading, you can save/overwrite the save to fix the checksum.

Essentially, what I wanted to do is to see if it is possible to read passport data from save file and output it somewhere, ideally it would be great to mod it inside a game, not sure how to go about it yet though. Sorry if its a bit offtopic.

Back