Can anyone make a mod to remove the dog barking sfx from Shenmue 1?

As soon as I find it I will replace it with the Wilhelm scream
Its not just a dog sfx , its apart of a background track, im sure there are plenty of replacements, hmmm needs more cricket buzzing

Do it!

And no wonder I couldn't find the sfx. All I got were voices, but I figured I was just doing something wrong. Wonder where the music files are.

The BGMs are .SND/ DTPK files within the disk archive , once you convert them (should have a snd player? ) you can find out which track it is and then replace it with the seagull track

The BGMs are .SND/ DTPK files within the disk archive , once you convert them (should have a snd player? ) you can find out which track it is and then replace it with the seagull track

Are we talking about the remasters? Because I get a bunch of dat, paks, pakf, and riff files. I open the paks and pakf files with IPAC browser, but I can't find any SND files.

Are we talking about the remasters? Because I get a bunch of dat, paks, pakf, and riff files. I open the paks and pakf files with IPAC browser, but I can't find any SND files.
snd.jpg
I havent bothered to convert the SNDs because snd2wav is a nightmare to use , but im pretty sure Ambient Background Music/Audio (BGM) is here. I used ShenmueHDTools.v1.01

Ahh, I didn't know there was a v1.01 released. I got the SND files, but when I convert them, I only get noise, even though I already have python 2.7 installed and configured.

Hmm the PC files are SND with DTPK headers but none of these match the ones in the dreamcast scene/sound folder, I can guess they may have re-encoded them to work properly in a Win/PCM environment, I dunno but hoperfully converting them will be easier than snd2wav (once the wulinshu hash list is searchable you should be able to identify the audio files to change, it will have the filename 'FREE. something')

Hmm the PC files are SND with DTPK headers but none of these match the ones in the dreamcast scene/sound folder, I can guess they may have re-encoded them to work properly in a Win/PCM environment, I dunno but hoperfully converting them will be easier than snd2wav (once the wulinshu hash list is searchable you should be able to identify the audio files to change, it will have the filename 'FREE. something')

Now, I have a pretty good idea of what the file may be, but it's like you said, we can't open SND files from the remasters atm. Thanks for the help.

barking and bird sounds are in amb**.snd files, look for amb in https://wulinshu.raymonf.me/#/ each amb for deffirent area and scene. Files can be opened for example in Audacity as RAW 32-bit pcm files. The problem is that I don't know exact offsets and sizes of samples and doing it manually is quite time consuming.

Edit:I made one that should work in Yamanose on what equivalent of first disk of Shenmue

Attachments

• scene.zip
    519.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
barking and bird sounds are in amb**.snd files, look for amb in https://wulinshu.raymonf.me/#/ each amb for deffirent area and scene. Files can be opened for example in Audacity as RAW 32-bit pcm files. The problem is that I don't know exact offsets and sizes of samples and doing it manually is quite time consuming.

Edit:I made one that should work in Yamanose on what equivalent of first disk of Shenmue

Ohhhh! Yep, that's it. It works great. You sir, are awesome. Shame that there doesn't seem to be a tool that can convert these to an easy to edit wave file. snd2wav doesn't work here so far.

Last edited:
I really love the barking... one of the portions of the original I miss most while playing 2

Hey guys, can anyone also make a mod that will silence all the arcadish consolish sounds like when you pickup any item, interact with something and kinds of unrealistic sounds that tells that its japanesse game?

I'd rather remove the background chatter that makes no sense when you're walking around empty streets.

Back