Can i binge watch?

On crunchy roll will all 13 episodes be available immediately? are they releasing an episode a week? are they releasing the first 2 episodes then canceling the third episode until a kick starter in 2045? im off of work for a week, 2 weeks after shenmue comes out. be nice to watch them all. how exactly are they rolling this thing out?

I was hoping to do the same as I also have next week off. Stretching it out for 13 weeks is going to take us all the way until the end of April. How the hell is this happening in 2022 when I have services like Shudder, Netflix and Prime and it's become standard to release everything at once and let the consumer consume it on their own schedule?

I don't watch any anime at all so I'm not sure what the standard is with anime or with crunchy roll. Tuning in for a 25 minute once a week is kind of a buzzkill.

We're so close. It's a bummer that Shenmue news is always muddled with some unfortunate decisions.

Why the hell don't people have the patience of watching 1 episode a week anymore? Fuckin' web 3.0 always ruining peoples attention spans. I miss the old days of watching only 1 episode a week because it made watching a show much more special. People need to grow the flying fuck up & be patient for once. Beside the upside of stretching it to 13 weeks is that discusion of Shemue won't die out in a week if it released all at once. And I am way too busy to "binge watch" anything as I only have an hour of free time nowadays. So watching only 1 episode a week for 22 minutes is perfect for me & practically everyone else who has a life.

Last edited:
Why the hell don't people have the patoence of watching 1 episode a week anymore? Fuckin' web 3.0 always ruining peoples attention spans. I miss the old days of watching only 1 episode a week because it made watching a show much more special. People need to grow the flying fuck up & be patient for once.
People need to grow up because media has changed? If you like watching a single episode per week for 13 weeks then good for you. I cancelled my cable ages ago and don't miss the archaic format of releasing one episode per week.

A lot happens in a whole week in adulthood. With 7 days passing between episodes, I won't even remember what happened the prior week.

People need to grow up because media has changed? If you like watching a single episode per week for 13 weeks then good for you. I cancelled my cable ages ago and don't miss the archaic format of releasing one episode per week.

A lot happens in a whole week in adulthood. With 7 days passing between episodes, I won't even remember what happened the prior week.
The 1 episode per week is a format that has been done & been proved to be great for everyone who cannot binge watch every episode for two days straight & needing to stop using the internet to avoid spoilers for weeks because of a show that aired everything at once. And since no one will be missing out on any new episodes by having one episode a week aired everyone WINS. Well, I guess except for the minority of people who are way to impatient for that format. Oh well, their "loss".

I'm here saying the weekly format sucks, therefore it's literally not "proven to be good for everyone". No one is forcing anyone to "binge watch". I said in my previous post, if all episodes are available then everyone can consume them at their own pace.

I was thinking about the last time I tuned into cable tv to catch a weekly program and it might go all the way back to Six Feet Under, an HBO series that in Canada we got on Showtime. I never got to finish Six Feet Under because I moved. So if I'm not mistaken it's been ~18 years since I've watch a tv show on a weekly basis.

If we want to talk about immaturity, it is immature to insist you steep yourself in the Shenmue community (or any community) while simultaneously demanding nothing be spoiled for you. Practice some restraint.

Last edited:
Why the hell don't people have the patience of watching 1 episode a week anymore? Fuckin' web 3.0 always ruining peoples attention spans. I miss the old days of watching only 1 episode a week because it made watching a show much more special. People need to grow the flying fuck up & be patient for once. Beside the upside of stretching it to 13 weeks is that discusion of Shemue won't die out in a week if it released all at once. And I am way too busy to "binge watch" anything as I only have an hour of free time nowadays. So watching only 1 episode a week for 22 minutes is perfect for me & practically everyone else who has a life.
Watch the tone please.

It's weekly due to it airing on TV, IIRC lots of Toonami stuff airs weekly and once aired it is then on Crunchyroll forever. Though I don't know how long it stays on Adult Swim. Also many TV shows still experience great success even if they're weekly. It's only a matter of one's personal convenience which is hardly an unfortunate decision for Shenmue

I'm glad, for 2 reasons, it's weekly.

1. We're talking about Shenmue longer in the mainstream which is only good for it.

2. It means I'm not going to end up pushing out content at 100mph on 13 episodes. It can be paced. This is good for the sanity.

So for my own convenience it's good!

Last edited:
I'm glad they're releasing it in the standard TV schedule of one a week. Binge watching a good show is fun, but releasing every episode of a show on day 1 to cater to binge watchers has proven to kill hype and make shows more easily forgettable. This way there will be a Shenmue related event for fans to build up to, discuss, and digest once a week, every week for 3 months. The old way is better for business AND the community. That's why Disney and other streaming services are moving away from day one binge enabling.

I don't particularly see the big issue either. It's not like a week is a long time. Plus it gives me something to be excited for every weekend.

Not sure why we need to make such a big deal out of it. If it really bothers you, just wait until all the episodes have dropped 🤷‍♂️ You'd only be waiting a couple extra months which isn't much given that we've already been waiting over a year.

It's not a given - the Boys on amazon airs weekly and so does stuff like Better Call Saul on Netflix.

In the case of the latter its very welcome as there is usually so much to process I need the breather :)

It's also quite good for forum discourse.I'm sure I like most would watch it all in a couple of days if the whole series dropped. The weekly routine gives us chance to talk about the show in much more depth without being too concerned with spoilers.

I agree, it's not the 90s anymore people should be able to watch at their own pace. Oh well, hopefully it does good enough to keep enticing viewers weekly.

If people want to watch an episode per week is okay, if people want to wait to watch everything in one day is okay as well, people are different from each other, there is nothing wrong with watching at our own pace.

I've never understood the fascination with binge watching. When the return of Twin Peaks happened a few years ago, I was glad it was an episode a week as it gave me time to think about it, discuss theories with friends etc. And as mentioned, having weekly episodes keeps Shenmue in the public conciousness for a longer period than a flash in the pan.

So many things come and go in the blink of an eye and Shenmue needs all the help it can get!

To be fair, an episode a week didn't used to be too bad back in the days when there were more than 3 decent shows on per year and you actually had something decent to watch most evenings.

Nowadays, it's Reality TV bollocks, overhyped Netflix bollocks and "Celebrities" you've never heard of doing Reality TV bollocks.

That's why people like to binge watch TV, because they find a show they like and then watch an episode or two each day. What else am I going to watch? Season 405,042 of The Apprentice, season 403,003 of Dragon's Den, season 9,405 of Great British Bake Off and Season 1,000,040,302 of Celebrities Go Dating?

Back