Can we discuss an Unpopular opinion

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
I think the fans/in-game rewards+new physical rewards & unnecessary fan-service(Like a forklift segment and returning old mini-games) played a negative impact on S3's development.

These were fats that YS would easily cut off from the game and save a couple of millions to actually flesh the games technical and systems presentations proper. Shenmue is a very personalized/vision driven game and going out of the way to customizing it to play really heavy on nostalgia siphoned a good chunk of the resources I feel.

YS has to waste time and effort to direct his team to program these fan requested/fan favorite side content and burn funds producing expensive physical rewards when in interviews(re-reading in hindsight) he sounds a bit frustrated but oblige becuase he needed the funds and to rally the fan bases support without upsetting them/us.

I think the CE/LRG limited edition should have been the baseline of all physical collector's goods and allowed backers first dibs on upgrading to that package.

But...I'm very optimistic about SIV tho despite this unpopular opinion. With nothing left to be obligated to but his vision, I think this is why YS cut off some of the original pitch contents from S3. I have faith when we see those content re-implemented in S4 it'll be bigger and better than if it was rushed into S3 when it's already stretching the funds and is drying out.

I hope we get to see a break down of how many millions was bled out of Dev funds becuase of these factors. None the less, I'm grateful for the community efforts and it was us that gave Suzuki his second wind at the end of the day. So even if S3 is the final installment(hope not) I'll still be thankful.

I'm not sure it would have saved a couple of millions, especially as it helped bring in quite a lot of money.

If he doesn't give fans reward and fan service: BOOHHH, this is not Shenmue, is this how you appreciate my money and effort? BOOHH Yu Suzuki BOOHH

If he actually does it: BOOHHH you shouldn't do all this, put this money time and effort to make a better game I want ending BOOOHHH Yu Suzuki BOOHH.

If he doesn't give fans reward and fan service: BOOHHH, this is not Shenmue, is this how you appreciate my money and effort? BOOHH Yu Suzuki BOOHH

If he actually does it: BOOHHH you shouldn't do all this, put this money time and effort to make a better game I want ending BOOOHHH Yu Suzuki BOOHH.

Yeap, damned if you do. Damned if you don't

It wouldnt have cost much and it def made sense to include within game. I would however have not included them in the village and waited until the city

I work in the videogame field and I can tell you those parts would not impact on the costs. The most expensive part that might be cut (and I would not complain) is the voice-over for ALL characters. This is really really expensive :|

if those things weren’t there people would have moaned too. I think whatever outcome people would have complained about 3. Mostly because they have had 20 years in their own heads to think what they thought it should have been.

How does fan service is shenmue ?

I work in the videogame field and I can tell you those parts would not impact on the costs. The most expensive part that might be cut (and I would not complain) is the voice-over for ALL characters. This is really really expensive :|

Nah, I feel Shenmue would not be the same or as immersive without voice-over for all all characters.

What would have reduced the costs significantly though and would not have impacted the game too badly is only having a Japanese voice track.

Yeah, I think Japanese VO only would be a good choice for S4.

How about an English only one? Shenmue is not that popular in Japan... and the cost of JPN voice over is much much higher than the ENG one.

English or Japanese VO, either one is fine. I just think recording two entire VO tracks for the game is a bit exaggerated.

They should absolutely see which of the two languages makes more sense and do one VO. For instance Japanese VO only, English, Spanish, German, French, Portuguese, Korean and Chinese subtitles and we're good. No need for dual audio.

The game sold poorly in Japan, if anything Japanese VO makes less sense... even more so considering everyone but Ryo is Chinese.

But the English VA is consistently called out by critics and fans as being something that detracts from the game because it’s so poorly done... If they went English only, I’d beg them to do a better job this time. I’m tired of the English VA being a joke.

They would still need to translate the entire script since all the writers are Japanese.

How about an English only one? Shenmue is not that popular in Japan... and the cost of JPN voice over is much much higher than the ENG one.
“Shenmue is not that popular in Japan”, but the Japanese language is quite popular outside Japan, and paradoxically among people who don’t even speak it.
Japanese is also an entertainment language around the world; I’m under the impression that more than ever, people prefer the original versions for films, series and video games.

But above all, Yu Suzuki is not an English speaker, and this is a Japanese video game – mostly for Westerners, might we say. It seems pretty normal to me that one should create in is native language, and certainly not in a somewhat unknown language.
What would be the cost of making a game in a specific language by bypassing the existence of an original version? Good luck if you want to create something without its mother tongue – because, yes, Japanese is the mother tongue of Shenmue.
If Shenmue had been thought, imagined and created in the English language, it would have been a totally different experience.

Moreover, the English version had a role in the success of Shenmue, and yet we should not think the world is an English world; the Japanese version is the true version and should also be the best accepted version by people who like Shenmue but don’t understand English.

I mean.. I'm from the UK so I played Shenmue 2 in Japanese on Dreamcast, and it was fine once I got used to it., and I've played all the Yakuzas which after a while you forget you are even reading.
As much as I would miss the English VO with all its jankyness and meme fuel... A Japanese VO only would be better for critics and budget.

Back