Can't get past Shenmue launch screen

For some reason my Shenmue 1 and 2 has suddenly become broken. I haven't played it in a week, but it now doesn't get past the Shenmue launch screen where you have to choose 1 or 2. I haven't changed anything in my system, and have been running the latest SpecialK and Forklift mod loader. It was running flawless last week. Only changes in my system have been a Steam update from last week which it still worked in, and Windows updates which it still was working. The only difference is I installed the Shenmue 3 backer demo. I don't know what to do and really don't want to uninstall and redownload and install every mod.

That's weird. Have you tried bypassing the launcher and opening the individual .exe files?

So I tried clicking on the .exe and I'm now getting an error stating the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Curious what caused this, maybe the latest Windows update corrupted the file or something. I'm running the latest version of Windows 10, old AMD FX8350 cpu but it worked great, as does the Shenmue 3 demo. I guess my only option is to reinstall everything which is a pain. Just wonder what caused this so I can prevent it from happening in the future. I wish we could force Steam to not update a working game.

So I tried clicking on the .exe and I'm now getting an error stating the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Curious what caused this, maybe the latest Windows update corrupted the file or something. I'm running the latest version of Windows 10, old AMD FX8350 cpu but it worked great, as does the Shenmue 3 demo. I guess my only option is to reinstall everything which is a pain. Just wonder what caused this so I can prevent it from happening in the future. I wish we could force Steam to not update a working game.
Definitely an odd one. Instead of doing a full reinstall, you should try right clicking the game in Steam, clicking properties, going to Local Files, and clicking "Verify integrity of game files". This will replace any corrupted or modified files without doing a full reinstall. You may need to reinstall Forklift and SpecialK, but all the actual mods themselves should stay put.

Finally got this fixed! It was a simple graphics card update that took care of this issue. Didn't have to reinstall the game and start from scratch for mods.

Back